Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 AM

45,015 posts, read 60,002,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Is there seriously a debate on whether it is base, post, camp, station, etc? Lol.
Yep. The original premise of the thread was military families receiving SNAP benefits so that makes it even more entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,703,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yep. The original premise of the thread was military families receiving SNAP benefits so that makes it even more entertaining.
Those things are just branch related lingo, to the layman, it is going to be probably base, just as I have heard the term "Army base" one trillion times in my life.

Same with submarines, to me, it is a boat, to everyone else, it is a ship.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,557,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwolfman View Post
I just got back from downtown near Fort Hood Army Base.
Talked with a wife of a Army Soldier.

She says that some of the wives of Army Soldiers are hurting, because they can't use or get food Stamps because of the Shut Down.

Really, all the money the Government wastes, they can't pay the Military enough money to not be on food
stamps?

So, I looked online, and to my surprise, active duty military families have turned to food stamps.
I served 22 continuous years of active duty.

It seems there were occasions when a military family could not afford to feed their family. I'm not going to try and explain the situation, it was for a variety of reasons. So just jump in and try to help out where you can...

Old 01-10-2019, 12:24 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,849,928 times
We lived on a "Common Defense Installation" - Air Force, Navy, Army and a scattering of personnel from NATO countries.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:45 PM

548 posts, read 1,050,649 times
So does BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure) not apply to Army posts?

Old 01-10-2019, 05:10 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,285,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We have two, born in the last four years. Coverage is quite good, at least for straightforward births with few complications... but still not anywhere in the neighborhood of "$30 to have a kid."
Hmmmm. I have two kids. They were born off base, in a regional hospital. One required induction, and one major emergency intervention. Didn't cost a cent, not one single penny. I can't figure why you'd even get a bill? Perhaps you used out of network doctors?

Old 01-10-2019, 05:53 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,395,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
As an E5 I made enough in the US Navy to begin buying apartment buildings. Before I made E6 I owned one property in California and another in Scotland. As a landlord I have had other servicemembers as tenants [Air Force and Navy], the Air Force tenants had a seriously difficult time paying rent. They were expected to survive on base-pay alone, and they had to pay income taxes out of their salary.

From my observations, there are huge differences in takehome pay between services.
Did that include hazard pay, by chance?

Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM

24,303 posts, read 9,190,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
Having served in the military for 10 years I don't understand this, despite what many civilians think I actually got paid pretty well in the military as enlisted.
It's very simple, you have E3s and E4s getting married to a spouse who doesn't earn money, and then having a bunch of kids all before their first 4 year enlistment is even up. Young folks are very impatient and impulsive.

Money is TIGHT for junior enlisted and if you make one mistake (debt, kids) then you're stuck until you get promoted to atleast E6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Despite what anyone thinks, military pay is quite a bit more than civilian pay.
That depends on many factors. An E5 with a stay at home wife and kids in Georgia isn't going to be rolling in the money. However, a single E3 who lives in Japan or Hawaii is going to be making bank. Warrant and regular officers, they don't have to worry at all.

At the end of the day, its far more beneficial to just be an officer because no one ever got rich of an enlistment salary alone.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:26 PM

37,271 posts, read 61,020,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Did that include hazard pay, by chance?
Sure

BAQ,
BAS,
COLA, VHA,
Sub pay [or Hazard duty pay],
Career sub pay,
Sea pay,
Career sea pay,
Sea pay kicker,
Female separation pay,
All I received all of these in addition to base-pay.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:30 PM

37,271 posts, read 61,020,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
... At the end of the day, its far more beneficial to just be an officer because no one ever got rich of an enlistment salary alone.
Yes, that is technically true.

Though over a 20-year career and including opportunities to invest, I observed some enlisted servicemembers who had much larger Net Worths than what the commissioned officers tended to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues