Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 03:53 PM

365 posts, read 270,714 times

Advertisements

I just got back from downtown near Fort Hood Army Base.
Talked with a wife of a Army Soldier.

She says that some of the wives of Army Soldiers are hurting, because they can't use or get food Stamps because of the Shut Down.

Really, all the money the Government wastes, they can't pay the Military enough money to not be on food
stamps?

So, I looked online, and to my surprise, active duty military families have turned to food stamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 04:29 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwolfman View Post

She says that some of the wives of Army Soldiers are hurting, because they can't use or get food Stamps because of the Shut Down.

Really, all the money the Government wastes, they can't pay the Military enough money to not be on food
stamps?

So, I looked online, and to my surprise, active duty military families have turned to food stamps.

Been that way for a long time. That's why the Marine Corps advised us to not get married until we made E-5.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:

stamps?

This came up a few days ago. About 2% of military families receive SNAP benefits.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:

stamps?

There has been no disruption in getting food stamps.

Military families have been getting food stamps for as long as I can remember, decades at least.

The military pays just fine, it is those families who incur too much costs, by way of having more kids than they can afford, who get food stamps. The military can do a lot of things, but they cannot prevent E4 Joe from pumping four kids out he cannot afford on his E4 salary.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:07 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
At first I was confused because military pay hasn't been interrupted. I'm not sure if food stamps have actually stopped, but if so, that's hurting a lot more than military families!

Military pay is pretty decent, but in the lower ranks, a bunch of kids can push someone to food stamps.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:55 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Well, obviously the Coast Guard has been disrupted, but that's another story.

Military family eligibility for food stamps does occur when the number of dependents exceeds resources, yeah...but also when spouses are chronically underemployed due to numerous factors, including the constraints of frequent moves.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:01 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Defense is its own beast of rules and laws. It is its own little govt ....
the enlisted folks get paid

Its the civilians working the bases that sometimes do not get checks when Ignorant Leaders shut down govt.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:49 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:

stamps?

PLEASE, the term is "Post"....not "Base". Now, that said........

I recall hearing of families being on food stamps....as a dependent in the 70s.

There may be something else as well, such as not knowing how to work, prepare food. My mother in the 60s, as I recall, would have us half on fresh milk, half on powdered, and there would be that frozen in the chest freezer, either fresh or day old. In fact, I grew up on skim milk. Something like that. Further, that may be a reflection of things for practically every place I grew up, there was a freezer. Maybe it was because one bought "day old" and then froze it or maybe because one only got steaks once a month, but growing up, we froze a lot of food.

One of the skills I picked up as a dirty little jobs officer was being a financial counselor. Sailors were not applying for COMRATS (was that the term?) when they were missing meals at the mess and paying to eat out of their own pocket. This was further complicated by people who only knew one way to eat and that was fast food which, at the very least, was paying 3X the cost what it would be to prepare it at home.

Buying raw goods at the commissary, then, and one could make out like a bandit ALTHOUGH I don't know where the cost would be feeding a family, with or without eating discipline.....back in the days of take it or leave it.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:08 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
There are agencies on base/post that can help these folks weather the storm. They will give them cash and may not even have to pay it back depending on the circumstances.

The Navy Relief Agency is one of them. I'm sure the Army and Air Force have similar.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:01 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Well, obviously the Coast Guard has been disrupted, but that's another story.

Military family eligibility for food stamps does occur when the number of dependents exceeds resources, yeah...but also when spouses are chronically underemployed due to numerous factors, including the constraints of frequent moves.
The fact that having a child in the military only costs about $30 is a factor of people making too little having children. They may have added a co-pay or something since my time, but I'll bet it's not the thousands of dollars it costs a civilian couple to have a child.

And, yes, there is also the chronic underemployment of spouses in an economy that requires a two-income family. Even if the spouses have what should be well-paid occupations, each move knocks them back to the starting gate for salary and seniority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues