Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 435 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

For context, I always wanted to join the Marines as an MP or Infantry Officer. However, just lately I realized that AF might be a better option for logistical reasons. I would probably go for Security Forces in the guard or reserve. I’ve been looking into ways that I could make my USAF career more like the Marines, and so have looked at both Ravens and FAST (fly away security teams). I also know that some AF go to Ranger School. What are some other things I may not be aware of in addition to these options? I’d like to make my job as high-tempo and challenging as possible, and get more infantry-like experiences.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 10:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Ravens. Lots of Ravens are prior Marines.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Para Rescue, too.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,332,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt5 View Post
Hey all,

For context, I always wanted to join the Marines as an MP or Infantry Officer. However, just lately I realized that AF might be a better option for logistical reasons. I would probably go for Security Forces in the guard or reserve. I’ve been looking into ways that I could make my USAF career more like the Marines, and so have looked at both Ravens and FAST (fly away security teams). I also know that some AF go to Ranger School. What are some other things I may not be aware of in addition to these options? I’d like to make my job as high-tempo and challenging as possible, and get more infantry-like experiences.

Thanks!
As a Reservist or Guard member, you may have far fewer opportunities for the advanced training you want. It's hard to keep those skills alive when you only work 38 days a year, and much of that is doing admin, fitness test, paperwork, computer training for AF Topics. It's just not worth our time/money to send part timers to those type of schools. However, if you're one of the lucky few, in addition to the Ravens, look into USAF OSI- they're Federal Law Enforcement and investigate Terrorism and Major Crimes. This might not be an option at all for Guard/Reserve though, so check into that. Those might be great options for you. Ranger slots are extremely hard to get, and you'd likely need to be on active duty.

Not law enforcement, but you sound like Combat Control (CCT) or PJ might be a good fit for you. Watch some youtube videos.

Why are you considering Guard/Reserve, if I might ask? You said you wanted to make this a career... but Guard/Reserve mean your career is is whatever job you hold now, in your regular life. Just curious.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:32 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
I’d like to make my job as high-tempo and challenging as possible, and get more infantry-like experiences.
If that is your primary goal, then go for it....

You are either in the infantry or you are not in the infantry.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks!
As noted, you either are or you're not. Trying to be a Marine in the USAF seems absurd to me. Given, there are a lot of bad ass jobs in the AF where you can do some really cool stuff, but why not join the Army or Marines if you want the real experience.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:46 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
As a Reservist or Guard member, you may have far fewer opportunities for the advanced training you want. It's hard to keep those skills alive when you only work 38 days a year, and much of that is doing admin, fitness test, paperwork, computer training for AF Topics. It's just not worth our time/money to send part timers to those type of schools. However, if you're one of the lucky few, in addition to the Ravens, look into USAF OSI- they're Federal Law Enforcement and investigate Terrorism and Major Crimes. This might not be an option at all for Guard/Reserve though, so check into that. Those might be great options for you. Ranger slots are extremely hard to get, and you'd likely need to be on active duty.

Not law enforcement, but you sound like Combat Control (CCT) or PJ might be a good fit for you. Watch some youtube videos.

Why are you considering Guard/Reserve, if I might ask? You said you wanted to make this a career... but Guard/Reserve mean your career is is whatever job you hold now, in your regular life. Just curious.

When I was an Air National Guard C-130 loadmaster I worked way more than 38 days (actually 39 days) a year. More like 100+ days a year. Even more if I wasn't slacking. I don't know if there are Guard Ravens, but if there are, they can also expect to work a lot more than 39 days a year. And they'll be working long days, just like aircrew. For us, a 12 hour day was considered a short day.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:08 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times
If you want infantry, go infantry. Don't join the air force hoping it's something that it's not.

However, the air force has so many cool and unique jobs. Here are a few

Special operations weather. (if I was a young single guy to do it all over again this Would be what I would have tried for) it's a mix of academics and snake eating. Google some YouTube videos.

TAC-P

Combat control

PJ (para rescue)

Aerial gunner/sensor operator

Aircraft loadmaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues