Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:09 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

All of those charges could have amounted to something, but "you had to be there" in the court room to see and hear all the testimony. I have greater faith in the military court-martial system than the civilian court system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 04:00 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Way too many good people were booted, and when the rules changed, prevented advancement, due to the absurd height-weight standards.

I went over the weight in every single time, though I was always at around 15% body fat, visible abs even, but hey, the Navy got its stupid chart it must follow, lol. Always had to get measured, so stupid the entire thing was.
I saw numerous chunks of muscle get measured. The suits who make up those tables don't seem to live in or even occasionally visit the real world. One guy was maybe 5' 10", comfortably over 200 lbs., all muscle, hockey player, the type you'd definitely want in a foxhole with you, no problem with the PT test.

Being O/C has its limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Marine Corps was like that to. However, they recently changed the orders. Now if you have a 1st class PFT and you are over weight the CO can say that you are good.
Good policy as long as the CO is squared away.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
All of those charges could have amounted to something, but "you had to be there" in the court room to see and hear all the testimony.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I have greater faith in the military court-martial system than the civilian court system.
I agree.

I have sat at two separate court-martials.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I once went over by three pounds on a routine weigh in... I was fit, and passed the PT Test... I guess I was disgusting?
If you looked like a slob in uniform, yeah. But I'm sure you didn't, being fit and all.
I've seen skinny guys dieting to meet unreasonable weight regs which is infuriating when SNCOs & zeros are lard butts. So I guess I meant the people who are an embarrassment to the uniform.
Also noted she was savvy enough to refuse NJP and request a Court Marshall.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I agree.

I agree.

I have sat at two separate court-martials.
I sat on one court-martial jury late in my career.

But I've also sat on a federal felony jury, and the court-martial was much more sensible. In both cases, the jury was "lenient," but in the court-martial the defedent deserved leniency and we all believed it. In the federal felony, he didn't deserve leniency and nobody believed he did, but the technicalities of the law forced it.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I never been big on NJP. I understand its merits, but having attended three, I see where evidence can be lacking, investigation lacking or non-existent, yet still "awarded" NJP.

One time there was zero evidence presented, a he-said, she-said thing, they could have investigated via phone records at least to see if the defense was plausible, but no, zero other than "what did he say, what did the other person say" and then ok, the captain will just judge who he believes. Award was reduction in rank, half months pay for two months.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I never been big on NJP. I understand its merits, but having attended three, I see where evidence can be lacking, investigation lacking or non-existent, yet still "awarded" NJP.

One time there was zero evidence presented, a he-said, she-said thing, they could have investigated via phone records at least to see if the defense was plausible, but no, zero other than "what did he say, what did the other person say" and then ok, the captain will just judge who he believes. Award was reduction in rank, half months pay for two months.
That's actually fine.

Better than the civilian criminal justice system works, where with the same zero evidence and the same level of prejudice, they can run you through a process that financially breaks you totally, if it doesn't manage to convict you and send you to prison.

Like the case of Lenell Geter, a military contractor who was sent to prison for an armed robbery despite the fact that he was 50 miles away in his boss' office having a scheduled one-on-one meeting, with his boss, the secretary, and a college all providing his alibi.

And even after they actually caught and convicted the real robber for the crime, Geter still couldn't get a new trial and sat in prison until after the convicting prosecutor retired.

NJP isn't anywhere near as bad, even when it's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues