Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 07:08 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

There was a story about a medically discharged Marine who staged a silent protest in his full dress uniform. Can anyone here provide the definitive answer on if he was violating the UCMJ and whether or not he could face punishment as well as the specific regulation he may have violated? There’s some who believe his being discharged makes him immune to punishment even if it’s a violation. Some say it applies to current and former service members.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/marine...state-capitol/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 08:24 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Obviously those still serving are not allowed to wear uniforms to any demonstrations including recent ones.

Those discharged are technically not allowed to wear their uniform either for any demonstrations including recent ones.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/mi...ormal%20events.

Quote:
There are some places and events where the uniform is prohibited to be worn by discharged and retired members of the military. These include:

At any meeting or demonstration which is anti-government in nature.
During political activities, private employment or commercial interests, when an inference of official sponsorship for the activity could be drawn.
When appearing in civil or criminal court
However, who's going to enforce that? The cops? The military? I highly doubt they'll care if it's something 'noble' like George Floyd peaceful protests. However, for something like marching as part of a racist group? Who knows, I'm sure I've seen some military garb from veterans who are part of racist groups who march.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:01 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Any regulations or laws used to punish a non military member (regardless of whether said member is retired, discharged, or never served) for merely protesting in a military uniform is likely unenforceable as a violation of the first amendment. Think of why why the Stolen Valor Act had to be amended to tie in a puciniary interest requirement as merely prohibiting people from lying about their military service (in uniform or not) was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. The only way I could see any such regulation or law being enforced is if someone protesting in uniform (as a non member) was behaving in a way that threatened national security, such as trying to join a formation of MP brought in for crowd control or something similar. Merely protesting doesn't seem to cut it.

Now, retirees are still subject to certain aspects of the UCMJ, but I'm having a hard time seeing how such prohibitions would stop a retiree from protesting in uniform.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:35 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There was a story about a medically discharged Marine who staged a silent protest in his full dress uniform. Can anyone here provide the definitive answer on if he was violating the UCMJ and whether or not he could face punishment as well as the specific regulation he may have violated? There’s some who believe his being discharged makes him immune to punishment even if it’s a violation. Some say it applies to current and former service members.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/marine...state-capitol/
He's seperated. He is no longer subject to the UCMJ so he can't violate it. If he was retired, it would be a violation. He may be violating stollen valor laws, because he no longer retains a military affiliation, depending on the laws of the state.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Any regulations or laws used to punish a non military member (regardless of whether said member is retired, discharged, or never served) for merely protesting in a military uniform is likely unenforceable as a violation of the first amendment. Think of why why the Stolen Valor Act had to be amended to tie in a puciniary interest requirement as merely prohibiting people from lying about their military service (in uniform or not) was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. The only way I could see any such regulation or law being enforced is if someone protesting in uniform (as a non member) was behaving in a way that threatened national security, such as trying to join a formation of MP brought in for crowd control or something similar. Merely protesting doesn't seem to cut it.

Now, retirees are still subject to certain aspects of the UCMJ, but I'm having a hard time seeing how such prohibitions would stop a retiree from protesting in uniform.
I should have been more nuanced.

Courts have upheld the notion of certain classes of military retirees still being subject to the UCMJ:

For the Navy and Marine Corps, courts have ruled that members of the Fleet Reserve (those sailors and marines retired and receiving a pension) are still subject ot the UCMJ. This is because the military pension isn't just retirement pay, but compensation to ensure that they remain ready and prepared to be recalled to active duty, which can legally happen.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...t-decides.html

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...court-affirms/

This is keeping in line with Article 2 of the UCMJ, which holds that the following categories of people (among others) are still subject to the Code:

Quote:
-Retired members of a regular component of the armed forces who are entitled to pay.
-Retired members of a reserve component who are receiving hospitalization from an armed force.
-Members of the Fleet Reserve and Fleet Marine Corps Reserve.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/802

So, most former military are not subject to the UCMJ. But those who officially retire and are receiving pay--among other classes--are.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:11 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
So, most former military are not subject to the UCMJ. But those who officially retire and are receiving pay--among other classes--are.
So, I posted about this on the General Flynn thread. The case law is a bit muddled. I think technically DOD can prosecute some retirees under the UCMJ, but it turns out there are a lot of people, in and out of the military, who are uncomfortable with DOD dragging retirees out of retirement and prosecuting them under the UCMJ.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...martialed.html

--

Old 06-10-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
So, I posted about this on the General Flynn thread. The case law is a bit muddled. I think technically DOD can prosecute some retirees under the UCMJ, but it turns out there are a lot of people, in and out of the military, who are uncomfortable with DOD dragging retirees out of retirement and prosecuting them under the UCMJ.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...martialed.html

--
Yep, good points. I definitely don't see this being done by DOD except in rare cases as it would be very controversial. Let's face it: while the legal ability is there to do so based on the justification (in part) that retirement pay is there in part to ensure military readiness in the event that you are recalled, much of that is crap as folks in retirement have zero physical fitness or other requirements for them to be "fit" to return to duty anyway.

As a general rule, I can see DOD taking such action against retirees who live overseas in areas with significant US military presence, if only as a way of calming the locals the locals that the US government hasn't just dumped their retirees (likely brought to the area during their active duty service) on the local community to watch and handle, such as the case in Japan I posted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues