Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,353,204 times

Advertisements

As you can see from my screen name, I am a military mom. I have no "issue"; just wanted to say thank you for the folks at C-D for recognizing the need for this forum and supporting our troops and our veterans. I would also like to say thank you to all the brave men and women who served our country, and who are serving now.

Today is rather bittersweet for me. My son put out to sea for the first time this morning. He expects to be gone for a month. Not being able to talk to him is going to be rough.

Any other Coastie families out there? Or other military moms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 12:12 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,116,885 times
No, I'm not, but I too say thank you! My bf's son was in Iraq for way too long, and I know how hard it was on her. I wish a safe and speedy return for your boy.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
As you can see from my screen name, I am a military mom. I have no "issue"; just wanted to say thank you for the folks at C-D for recognizing the need for this forum and supporting our troops and our veterans. I would also like to say thank you to all the brave men and women who served our country, and who are serving now.

Today is rather bittersweet for me. My son put out to sea for the first time this morning. He expects to be gone for a month. Not being able to talk to him is going to be rough.

I just "got it" Coastie...mainly because I just took my Grandson for a tour of the local Coast Guard Station..He graduates next year and wants to join theCG...Any pointers??
Yes, it's hard to see them go off...my son was in Desert Storm...no phones or net back then...Thank your son for his Service

Old 07-14-2008, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 8,334 times
Hi....thank you for being so brave....and many thanks to your son and other young men and women just like him. I have a friend who has both her sons in Iraq right now. One went once and came back and now they are both there. They beleive in what they are doing and thank god for their service.......THANKS......

Old 07-14-2008, 01:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I have several family friends that are in Iraq now and I write to them all the time. Really changed my perspective on that war as they are very positive in their writing about what they are doing. One is in his second time there and says things have really changed since his frist. God bless all the service personell and their families.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:24 PM

630 posts, read 2,227,195 times
I to would like to say Thank you to the CD Admin for this forum.

Also Thank you to all the men and women serving in our Military, as well as their families.

I too am a Military Mom, three sons all serving or served, Air Force, Navy and Marine. My son that served in the Navy left after his tour. My oldest is in the Air Force (10 yrs) has done one tour in Iraq and will be going back again in September. My youngest is the Marine and is currently stationed in DC, Presidential Support Duty. He is re-enlisting in the next few months and will probably be heading to Iraq the beginning of next year.

To all the mothers, fathers, wives, husbands, sons, daughters, grandparents, family and friends of those serving...Thank you... I understand your heartache and your fears.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:57 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,353,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
I just "got it" Coastie...mainly because I just took my Grandson for a tour of the local Coast Guard Station..He graduates next year and wants to join theCG...Any pointers??
Yes, it's hard to see them go off...my son was in Desert Storm...no phones or net back then...Thank your son for his Service
Teach him to sew! When we asked our son what he wanted for a graduation present, he said a sewing kit that he could carry in his bag. He learned to sew before he was in school, by watching me quilt, just as I had learned at my mother's knee.

He was just about the only person in his company who had any idea how to sew patches and insignias on the uniforms. He had a one-man cottage industry because even the women in his company were unable to sew.

The Coast Guard has changed the uniform twice since he joined and both times the single guys at his stations brought their uniforms to him! His wife is quite amused, because she can't sew, either!

Teach him to cook! At many small boat stations, the weekend duty sections have to cook for themselves. He knew the basics of cooking, but I can't tell you how many times that first year or two he would call on Friday and tell me he had to cook that weekend and he wanted my recipe for chicken and dumplings or meatloaf or beef stew.

Also, would be a good idea to bone up on Coast Guard history. You will have a lot of educating to do explaining to people that the USCG is a real branch of the armed services. They take the same oath, they are subject to the same military code of justice, they earn the same ribbons and medals as other branches. They are service oriented and fall under a different branch of the cabinet, that is the difference in most people minds.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:19 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,978 times
I have learned alot since last week about "Coasties"!! The one thing that really struck me, was the 2 young men who gave us the tour were so happy...they said over and over how well they were treated...also, that they had a great cook at the Rochester Station!!! Guess the next step is to see the recruiter.. Maybe take the delayed entry program...

Old 07-14-2008, 04:21 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/6.gif (broken link) to you MCM! I wanted to say thank you to C-D as well.

But also thank you to your son and your family for his service to our country.

Not a military mom but I do have 2 cousins that have enlisted. One in the Army and one in the Marines.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
I've been a military mom for 6 years and today my son is leaving the army, due to poor career management. He has been deployed 3 times to Iraq, so I certainly know how you feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues