Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,531 times

Advertisements

I had enlisted in the Air Force back in 10/64...I spent almost a yr in active duty, went thru boot camp and tech school. I was assigned my PCS and continued with my service. I love my country and respect the military but at this time in my life I pondered my inner feelings about being a soldier. I was not satisfied with my life and seeked out a change. I kindly requested an Honorable Discharge and was granted this under the military code of AFR 39-16..I never caused any bad feelings while I was in service nor did I present any problems. I am considered a VET of Vietnam although I never got over there but have served during this war period. I now, at times, have guilt feelings of leaving the Air Force early but have been told by my many friends who have served their country NOT to be concerned with it because I made a choice in which I felt was to the better in my life. I have held many important jobs and have had a successful career for many yrs. My wife tells me NOT to feel the way I do because I didn't do anything wrong at that time and that possibly others have done same. I respect my country and those that have served, fought, and died for our freedoms... I'm retired now and it has been over 50 yrs that this issue has been dated. How can I free myself from my inner feelings of guilt at which I'm facing at times?? Thanx for reading... GOD BLESS and GOD BLESS America.. Piano
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 10:28 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
This is probably the wrong place to receive validation for what you did over 50 years ago. Most people here have served and are proud of their service. Others seek advice on how to get in, not on how to get out.

I spent six years in the Marine Corps and almost 26 years in the Guard. I served my country in time of war and in time of peace. Through it all, I never had any remorse about my service. Today, I can go into any American Legion or VFW post and hold my head high, knowing I served my country and did my duty. I don't envy the position you're in. It can't be a good feeling. Unfortunately, you can't go back and undo what you did.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:36 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Plenty of people got early outs -- it's not something to agonize over.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:05 PM

703 posts, read 612,526 times
What Joe from Dayton said.

Stop flogging yourself. It was a perfectly legal part of the program that The Service itself offered and fully expected some new prospects to avail themselves.

Like when super rich people don't pay taxes and claim "It's all perfectly legal" Some people don't like it and think they are scamming out but it's all part of the rules. And the super rich who avail themselves of those rules don't waste ONE SINGLE SPLIT PICO SECOND feeling bad about themselves or feeling sorry for anyone else.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:05 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,660,292 times
I am a Vietnam-era vet. Joined Air Force in 1972. Never went to Vietnam. I would NEVER call myself a Vietnam vet just because I was in the service during Vietnam War. I would make that distinction if I were you.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:13 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
I am a Vietnam-era vet. Joined Air Force in 1972. Never went to Vietnam. I would NEVER call myself a Vietnam vet just because I was in the service during Vietnam War. I would make that distinction if I were you.

The proper term is Vietnam era veteran, if you didn't go in-country, but served during that time. I too am a Vietnam era veteran and I also would never call myself a Vietnam veteran. You called it correctly.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:49 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,190 times
I enlisted in the USAF in 82 and got out honorably in 86. My time was 4 years and yours was less. If the military gave you an honorable I see no problem if they have no problem.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:11 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,232,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano232 View Post
I had enlisted in the Air Force back in 10/64...I spent almost a yr in active duty, went thru boot camp and tech school. I was assigned my PCS and continued with my service. I love my country and respect the military but at this time in my life I pondered my inner feelings about being a soldier. I was not satisfied with my life and seeked out a change. I kindly requested an Honorable Discharge and was granted this under the military code of AFR 39-16..I never caused any bad feelings while I was in service nor did I present any problems. I am considered a VET of Vietnam although I never got over there but have served during this war period. I now, at times, have guilt feelings of leaving the Air Force early but have been told by my many friends who have served their country NOT to be concerned with it because I made a choice in which I felt was to the better in my life. I have held many important jobs and have had a successful career for many yrs. My wife tells me NOT to feel the way I do because I didn't do anything wrong at that time and that possibly others have done same. I respect my country and those that have served, fought, and died for our freedoms... I'm retired now and it has been over 50 yrs that this issue has been dated. How can I free myself from my inner feelings of guilt at which I'm facing at times?? Thanx for reading... GOD BLESS and GOD BLESS America.. Piano

You got an Honorable Discharge. Therefore... you served honorably. You weren't a soldier by the way. Soldiers are in the Army. You were an AIRMAN.

You probably feel bad because you feel you didn't serve your enlistment through to it's end. It doesn't matter. You got honorably discharged. Forget about it. Honor your fellow vets by loving your country.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:02 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,785 times
Yep, I agree with most of what has already been written.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
You got an Honorable Discharge. Therefore... you served honorably. You weren't a soldier by the way. Soldiers are in the Army. You were an AIRMAN.

You probably feel bad because you feel you didn't serve your enlistment through to it's end. It doesn't matter. You got honorably discharged. Forget about it. Honor your fellow vets by loving your country.
This right here.
Agreed. (That is a Boss screen name, by the way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
And this one.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:31 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano232 View Post
Surprised that the Air Force was allowing guys to leave with honorable discharges during the peak of the Viet Nam war when 3 branches of the service ( Army, Navy, Marines) were resorting to drafting)

Also, many guys joined the Air Force during that time period to avoid the draft.
They knew going in that enlisting in the Air Force was 4 years instead of the 2 year draft for the Navy, Marines, and Army.

No sympathy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues