Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 07:13 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I do not believe that the entire event has been told...

And you believe the Veterans Administration should pay all veterans medical bills? It does not work that way...
I believe Veterans should be treated a whole lot better than they are. I believe some are treated terrible, and others treated better, I believe treatment and care, can be dramatically different from one. VA to the other. I don't know if we know the whole story on this man. I just know the outrageous costs of medical care is beyond the reach of many..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 07:54 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,121 times
The important thing is that Congressmen and Senators get top notch medical care until they die, which is when they leave office.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Over 20+ years after be left the military (1986 to 1990) his aorta ruptured (In 2013) and his bill for services at the Veterans Administration services was $8,353.81.

In 2019, he received a bill from the VA for $8,353.81. He offered to pay $25 a month on the debt but the government refused to take anything less than $201....

In the end Southerland received a letter from the VA that changed everything, the entire debt was written off...

"I'm proud to say that I no longer owe anything.They wrote off the debt," Southerland said.

It's not another "Thanks for your service but"...
25 bucks a month woulda taken like 30 years to pay off. Which is to say, he would have never paid it off.

Weird story.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:00 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,516 times
Quote:
I do not believe that the entire event has been told...

And you believe the Veterans Administration should pay all veterans medical bills? It does not work that way...

At his income of $1,200 a month, they should pay all of his medical bills. I have the same income and therefore I am on expanded medicaid which pays all my medical bills with no copays. I am not a veteran either, so why should the veteran be stuck with a $8,300 bill while I would not? It was totally unfair the the VA tried to do to him.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:53 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
There are holes in this story. How do we know the veteran's "benefit check" is VA disability compensation? This veteran could be enrolled in VA healthcare at 0% disability. A VA disability comp check at $1200/month loosely equates to the 60% disability rating with one dependent.

If the veteran's combined disability rating is greater than 50%--ALL VA HC is covered, regardless if SC or not, regardless of means. Assuming this veteran is 60% SC, he would be eligible for care at VA and any care authorized by VA at non-VA facilities.

This article doesn't discuss any recourse the veteran chose or failed to exercise prior to going to the media. I work with a catastrophically disabled veteran with a $5k debt for VA HC. He is 10% SC, but receives VA HC without co-pay. Sent him to the business office and they pulled up his case and said the billing codes were wrong and initiated a ticket to fix it. Although this seems like on track to victory, we are still doing a debt waiver request as back up plan.

Use a VSO. Use VA Patient Advocate. Use Billing and Business Office. This veteran did not wake up one day with a debt collection notice on his doorstep.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
If it wasn't service connected, they shouldn't pay one damn penny of it.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:17 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
I’m a veteran, having served 8 years during wartime, and, once my discharge papers were signed, I was on my own as far as healthcare was concerned.

My father is retired military and, even though he doesn’t get off completely free, has his healthcare taken care of the remainder of his life.

There is a difference between a veteran, which could be as little as 2-4 years of active service, and retired military. Most people don’t understand this.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:18 PM

363 posts, read 349,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
If it wasn't service connected, they shouldn't pay one damn penny of it.

my understanding is that service connected means they pay ALL of it.

so my guess is that it was not service connected.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:03 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I believe the VA system is clogged with vets whose ailments having nothing to do with their service. I am all for treating any vet for military related ailments and for treating any retired vets. My brother-in-law sat on his ass driving a US Army truck for two years in Germany. Now some 50 years later, he wants the VA to pay for hearing aids.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thanks for the link to the story. I guess its another case of. Thanks for your service but.
Apparently, you didn't understand what you read.

"I thought because I was a veteran and I was seeking care at a veteran facility that it would be taken care of," Southerland said.

That's not how it works.

Southerland and apparently you, too, are misinformed.

Injured workers are entitled to worker's compensation. That actually stems from English common law and the Master-Servant relationship.

That poses a problem for military members, since they are employed by the federal government and not by State governments.

It would be manifestly unfair to saddle States with the cost of worker's compensation for military members, thus the need for the VA.

The federal government also has a compelling interest in the treatment and care of veterans.

WW II demonstrated that civilian hospitals were simply not equipped, staffed or trained and educated to deal with the nature of injuries sustained in combat.

The need arose for specialty hospitals that are properly equipped and staffed with personnel trained and educated to deal with combat injuries and non-combat injuries. Of tremendous value is the 17-volume set of medical data produced by medical professionals in the branch services and VA medical staff during the Vietnam War.

This 17-volume tome is in fact the reason civilian hospitals now have trauma centers and are able to deal with trauma-induced injuries. Those soldiers did not die or suffer injury in vain. The knowledge obtained by medics on the battlefield and doctors and nurses at the field hospitals through the attempts to save their lives is saving lives now.

Because the VA medical system exists, it makes perfect sense to utilize those facilities to their greatest efficiency to obtain maximum value, and for that reason medical services are provided to many other veterans, including those who were not injured on the job.

Many veterans are eligible for services at a VA facility.

After determining a veteran's eligibility, the VA then turns to the veteran's financial and insurance status.

Veterans at certain minimum income levels receive free care, others receive free care but have prescription co-pays, or have co-pays for diagnostic services, or co-pays for non-surgical services or a combination.

If an eligible veteran also has health plan coverage, such as Medicare, Medicaid or private insurance, the VA will bill those entities for services rendered.

If you read the cleverly crafted propaganda news article, it never states with particularity that Southerland has a service-connected disability and is receiving VA disability benefits.

The article -- intended to debase and denigrate the VA -- simply says "benefits check."

The article says the "monthly check" -- another avoidance of what it really is -- is "$1,200."

I'm not seeing how any rating level would pay exactly "$1,200" and yet the claim is $201 is being deducted.

Federal law limits collection to not more than 15% of Social Security Retirement, Social Security Disability, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), military pension, VA service-connected disability, VA non-service connected disability, Railroad Retirement Income, Federal Retirement, or Black Lung benefits.

If you owe taxes to the IRS, or student loans, or any debt to any federal government agency, the maximum is 15%.

In order for the VA to deduct $201, then his monthly check must be a minimum of $1,340/month, which is not the same as "$1,200."

All I see is lies and deception in the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues