Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 10:53 AM

208 posts, read 210,541 times

Advertisements

Well. My brother in law was in the Coast Guard during Vietnam and on several different occasions they were close enough to the Vietnamese coast to fire on suspected enemy troop concentrations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_NENrDGmHE

A lot of people don't realize that the Coast Guard played a role in the Vietnam war. The ship that I was on when I did a tour of duty in the CG had a "battle ribbon" for providing fire support to ground force during the Vietnam War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 11:31 AM

208 posts, read 210,541 times
I decided that now was the time to let him know about my service. I told him that I served as an Infantryman with the 1st Air Cavalry. I had been in a few combat situations. I earned the Combat Infantry Badge and was awarded the Air Medal for making over 25 helicopter assaults. I walked into ambushes and had been in may fire fights. I even had a VC hand grenade explode about 5 feet away from me. I told him about the time an artillery base was over run and we were helicoptered in at 2am as reinforcements. They told us to "just bring guns and ammo."

Yes, the people that served "in country" have a "double suck" to deal with. Besides having to deal with living in the jungle, fighting the enemy wherever, when ever, being shot at, dealing with jungle illnesses and the whole host of things, they have the added "suck" (making it a double-suck) of having been exposed to Agent Orange. Yes, Agent Orange, that wonderful petroleum-based defoliant that we've all heard so much about. If you were "in country", chances are you got a dose. So besides coming home with PTSD and any other psychological and physical disabilities that they might have acquired in Vietnam, they have to deal with a whole host of added problems. From various cancers ranging from prostate to skin cancers and other ailments such as diabetes, Agent Orange is "the gift that keeps on giving". I've had vets tell me some horror stories of their suffering and none are pleasant. Yes Vietnam Vets, you truly got the "double-whammy" on that one. My hats off to you. Thank you for your service......

Old 12-26-2019, 01:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Do yourself a favor, OP. Don't bother to confront the POS that wants to brag about 2 tours of VN. Those that were there certainly wouldn't brag about it. Most that were there will never speak about it, privately or publicly. None of the Vets I know from the VN era were ceremoniously received when they came home. It was nothing to mention to anyone for fear of having someone call you everything in the book, and in public.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:55 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
What years I wonder??? As for US Navy seeing actual combat as in firefights and ambushes etc... One has only to remember the Mobile Riverine Forces....

Old 12-26-2019, 04:04 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
He said he joined the Navy to avoid being drafted in 1965.
Some light reading
https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...1965-1968.html

Old 12-26-2019, 08:39 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
One of my high school classmates was drafted into the Navy during Vietnam and served two years on an aircraft carrier. To this day if he brings it up people don't believe him.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
I know someone who joined the Navy to avoid the draft, ended up in VN anyway working on small boats but also at a USMC motor pool, lol. No direct combat at least though there were some incidents.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:05 AM

198 posts, read 276,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolitionman2 View Post
Well. My brother in law was in the Coast Guard during Vietnam and on several different occasions they were close enough to the Vietnamese coast to fire on suspected enemy troop concentrations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_NENrDGmHE

A lot of people don't realize that the Coast Guard played a role in the Vietnam war. The ship that I was on when I did a tour of duty in the CG had a "battle ribbon" for providing fire support to ground force during the Vietnam War.
I just watched this video and I just shook my head. The Coast Guard were on a "emergency assignment" and they were learning how to fire the new M14 rifles (LOL).

While I can't provide you with a video of my time in Vietnam, I can recommend a book. The name of the book is called "BIRD" by S.L.A. Marshall. He also wrote another book called "Pork Chop Hill". According to the VFW Magazine, the battle at LZ Bird was one of the 10 most important battles of the VN war. There were over 200 enemy killed in that battle.

On December 27 1966 at 1:20am (Yes today is the 53rd anniversary) they told us (company C-1-5) that we were going in as re-enforcements. We landed at the base of the hill and made our way up.

Here is a link to the story https://warstoriesweb.wordpress.com/...rst-blog-post/

When I see or hear stories about how the Coast Guard had it rough I laugh. WOW- 3 days on patrol and 1 day in port LOL LOL LOL. Try going out into the field for 3 months. I wonder how many men of the Coast Guard would trade jobs with an infantryman.

Sorry about the rant but I had to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:59 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
And when in port they visited the "native emporiums." Funny stuff.

Old 12-27-2019, 01:09 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
I just watched this video and I just shook my head. The Coast Guard were on a "emergency assignment" and they were learning how to fire the new M14 rifles (LOL).

While I can't provide you with a video of my time in Vietnam, I can recommend a book. The name of the book is called "BIRD" by S.L.A. Marshall. He also wrote another book called "Pork Chop Hill". According to the VFW Magazine, the battle at LZ Bird was one of the 10 most important battles of the VN war. There were over 200 enemy killed in that battle.

On December 27 1966 at 1:20am (Yes today is the 53rd anniversary) they told us (company C-1-5) that we were going in as re-enforcements. We landed at the base of the hill and made our way up.

Here is a link to the story https://warstoriesweb.wordpress.com/...rst-blog-post/

When I see or hear stories about how the Coast Guard had it rough I laugh. WOW- 3 days on patrol and 1 day in port LOL LOL LOL. Try going out into the field for 3 months. I wonder how many men of the Coast Guard would trade jobs with an infantryman.

Sorry about the rant but I had to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.
Not a Rant to me. just one more reason that no one gets more respect from me than a grunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues