Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 07:59 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times

Advertisements

To each their own. I have said this before...…….using Vietnam for example with around two million vets in country...…...there are 2 million different wars there...….everyone is and was exposed differently and reacted differently...…..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 06:05 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
I'm a retired US Army/Army National Guard soldier. While I use some veteran services I will not use home loan again. I did that once but now that I am established no need. As for the VA hospital I do use that resource only to keep it active in case I have to use it. That being said, my PCP at the VA diagnosed my recent illness of PMR. I am very grateful.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I'm a retired US Army/Army National Guard soldier. While I use some veteran services I will not use home loan again. I did that once but now that I am established no need.
We have used "VA-backed home loans" for the purchase of three separate homes and possibly another in the future... Great service and a good program which helps in buying. I have no doubt there are those who just don't like the program. I have no doubt there are those who think otherwise...

https://www.va.gov/housing-assistanc...ns/loan-types/

Old 12-23-2019, 09:52 AM

11,113 posts, read 9,753,246 times
OP, what is your concern about all of this?

Perhaps the friend had a very bad experience and would prefer not to have anything to do with the VA. Not all veterans are entitled to VA healthcare. At a MINIMUM, a vet must meet the following criteria:

Can I get VA health care benefits?
You may be able to get VA health care benefits if you served in the active military, naval, or air service and didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge.

If you enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty after October 16, 1981, you must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which you were called to active duty, unless any of the descriptions below are true for you.

This minimum duty requirement may not apply if any of these are true. You:

Were discharged for a disability that was caused—or made worse—by your active-duty service, or
Were discharged for a hardship or “early out,” or
Served prior to September 7, 1980
If you’re a current or former member of the Reserves or National Guard, you must have been called to active duty by a federal order and completed the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty. If you had or have active-duty status for training purposes only, you don’t qualify for VA health care.

https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/

In addition one of the following may make you more likely to be eligible:

Is there anything that will make me more likely to get these benefits?
Yes. You may qualify for enhanced eligibility status (meaning you’ll be placed in a higher priority group, which makes you more likely to get benefits) if you meet at least one of the requirements listed below.

At least one of these must be true. You:

Receive financial compensation (payments) from VA for a service-connected disability
Were discharged for a disability resulting from something that happened to you in the line of duty
Were discharged for a disability that got worse in the line of duty
Are a recently discharged combat Veteran
Get a VA pension
Are a former prisoner of war (POW)
Have received a Purple Heart
Have received a Medal of Honor
Get (or qualify for) Medicaid benefits
Served in Vietnam between January 9, 1962, and May 7, 1975
Served in Southwest Asia during the Gulf War between August 2, 1990, and November 11, 1998
Served at least 30 days at Camp Lejeune between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987

If none of the above apply to you, you may still qualify for care based on your income. Learn more about how the amount of money your family makes can affect whether you qualify for VA benefits.
Learn more about income limits

At any rate, I don't see how it's any of your business if he uses any of his VA benefits, if he's entitled.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:55 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
US Army, US Army National Guard and US Army Reserves all can (will?) go to the same basic training. The point of the training is uniformity. It would not be good to have different Army training as one of the strengths of the Army uniformity. When I was in we were designates USA for US Army, USNG for US National Guard and USAR for US Army Reserve.

I did not retire and am not entitled to VA medical services. I do have a VA home loan but there are times when having/getting a VA Home Loan is better and some times when it is worse. None of these things are proof that this person did or did not serve.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:06 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLB75 View Post
My friend husband says he is an army and national guard vet from 92-98. He doesn’t go to the VA hospital or try to get military home loans etc. only pic he has is from boot camp. Are army and national guard trainings the same? My friend said she found out he was only in the national guard and went awol in 95. Would you be arrested for going awol?
Your friend should zip her lip and you should move your nose...out of something that could not possibly impact you.

MerryChristmas.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:16 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
To each their own. I have said this before...…….using Vietnam for example with around two million vets in country...…...there are 2 million different wars there...….everyone is and was exposed differently and reacted differently...…..
Excellent points.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:18 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
US Army, US Army National Guard and US Army Reserves all can (will?) go to the same basic training. The point of the training is uniformity. It would not be good to have different Army training as one of the strengths of the Army uniformity. When I was in we were designates USA for US Army, USNG for US National Guard and USAR for US Army Reserve.

I did not retire and am not entitled to VA medical services. I do have a VA home loan but there are times when having/getting a VA Home Loan is better and some times when it is worse. None of these things are proof that this person did or did not serve.
What I bolded in your post confuses me. My husband was honorably discharged, he did not retire, from the Navy. He is eligible for a VA loan, though we've never needed to get one. He is also entitled to VA medical services. For the longest time, he was covered under my very good employer provided health insurance, but once I became self employed, he had to pursue VA medical services. I am confused by why you are not eligible for VA medical services.

To the OP, many people don't use VA loans or VA medical services (many of the VA hospitals throughout the US are notoriously bad, though we've found one that is rated very highly with good reason) or have pictures of when they were in the service.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:26 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
I've used VA benefits 2 times in my life. I have gone to the VA twice. That's it.

I also do not display anything in my house, and have very few photos of me in uniform. I know people, even from my same unit, who are still entrenched in their time served, even have it on their social media that they served...and to each their own, but that always felt weird to me. For me, (and only for me), it would feel like bragging, or expecting some kind of reaction from people...it just feels off. If someone asks, I'll tell them, but most people walking around in this world would have no idea I'm a veteran.

Heck, when I finally ETSed, I threw just about everything away (minus ribbons and medals and the DD214, of course.)

It's not abnormal for a veteran not to use their benefits. They either don't know about them, (and yes, that is a huge problem just how many do not have a clue what benefits they have), or they don't need to use them or just flat out don't want to use them.

It doesn't mean anything except that they are not using them.

Old 12-23-2019, 12:48 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I knew a vet who refused to use VA medical facilities, and he displayed no military souvenirs or photos in his home.

He spent time in a prisoner of war camp, left the army and drew a line.
My dad was a Vietnam vet. Refused to go to the VA, and didn't display any military photos or souvenirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues