Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 01:27 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,047,879 times

Advertisements

While my retired-military husband doesn't display any mementos, he does receive ongoing treatment at a VA Medical center.

There is a lounge area with a Starbucks in the lobby and any time I'm over there I see a number of older veterans, wearing ball caps signifying their branch of service, division, ship, etc. They seem to enjoy socializing and exchanging stories about their military experiences while waiting for their appointments.

There's one very elderly gentleman who is wheeled over from the nursing home section for his Starbucks outing---he must be a regular as staff members passing by all seem to know his name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 02:27 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We have used "VA-backed home loans" for the purchase of three separate homes and possibly another in the future... Great service and a good program which helps in buying. I have no doubt there are those who just don't like the program. I have no doubt there are those who think otherwise...

https://www.va.gov/housing-assistanc...ns/loan-types/

You are correct in finding my desire to not use the "program" again meaning I found it not to my liking. My memory of the process was the microscope they used to look up my butt to find where my poop came from. LOL okay not quite so hard as that. They probably don't do that much now but I just find that the fewer hands in the loans the better.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
What I bolded in your post confuses me. My husband was honorably discharged, he did not retire, from the Navy. He is eligible for a VA loan, though we've never needed to get one. He is also entitled to VA medical services. For the longest time, he was covered under my very good employer provided health insurance, but once I became self employed, he had to pursue VA medical services. I am confused by why you are not eligible for VA medical services.

To the OP, many people don't use VA loans or VA medical services (many of the VA hospitals throughout the US are notoriously bad, though we've found one that is rated very highly with good reason) or have pictures of when they were in the service.
Yes, entitled to VA medical services. I even get once a year a "you are covered in accordance with the ACA "Obamacare"" type letter.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:08 PM

480 posts, read 316,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
What I bolded in your post confuses me. My husband was honorably discharged, he did not retire, from the Navy. He is eligible for a VA loan, though we've never needed to get one. He is also entitled to VA medical services. For the longest time, he was covered under my very good employer provided health insurance, but once I became self employed, he had to pursue VA medical services. I am confused by why you are not eligible for VA medical services.

To the OP, many people don't use VA loans or VA medical services (many of the VA hospitals throughout the US are notoriously bad, though we've found one that is rated very highly with good reason) or have pictures of when they were in the service.

A military member does not have to retire to be eligible for VA medical services. For most services you do need an Honorable discharge.

If you are low income, it is a very good place to get medical care.

I did for several years, and then I moved and got a job at the VA. It helps to have the veteran preference.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:10 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I have an issue with the VA.

First off I say any one injured in military service deserves to be treated at the VA. Anyone that retired from the military deserves the VA thought I know they have other plans.

My issue is I believe former military people, not qualified as above, are clogging the system. Like the two year Army guy that sat on his ass driving a truck in Germany now at age 65, wants the VA to pay for his hearing aids, blood pressure medicine, etc. What is next? A penile implant for him?

I did serve in the military and I have never been near a VA facility as I did not retire from the military nor was I injured unless a dose of clap counts..............LOL

Old 12-23-2019, 07:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have an issue with the VA.

First off I say any one injured in military service deserves to be treated at the VA. Anyone that retired from the military deserves the VA thought I know they have other plans.

My issue is I believe former military people, not qualified as above, are clogging the system. Like the two year Army guy that sat on his ass driving a truck in Germany now at age 65, wants the VA to pay for his hearing aids, blood pressure medicine, etc. What is next? A penile implant for him?

I did serve in the military and I have never been near a VA facility as I did not retire from the military nor was I injured unless a dose of clap counts..............LOL
There is an income requirement for receiving non-service connected care with the VA, generally speaking, a few rules and criteria in and around that.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:33 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
and if you have outside insurance or medicare supplement they bill that as primary, may pay what isn't covered by medicare if it is service connected and the rest of the bill is on you.

they do not bill medicare

Old 12-24-2019, 01:53 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Served from 59 to 68 and never used the VA for me. I did buy many VA and FHA homes from sellers because I could take over payments without refinancing.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:09 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
My dad was a Vietnam vet. Refused to go to the VA, and didn't display any military photos or souvenirs.
Same as your dad, for me wearing any type of cap or jacket that identified me as a former military member is the same as wearing your old school varsity jacket.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:25 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I served 20 years on Active Duty with the US Navy.

After I retired, for a couple years we went on-base for our medical care.

Then we moved out beyond their 50-mile radius for coverage, and I shifted to Tricare Prime. Now we are treated by civilian doctors with M.D. after their name. No more HM corpsmen or medics.

I do not use the VA hospital in my state.

I prefer the treatment that we get at civilian hospitals with DOCTORS who have been to college and that have M.D. after their names.

I use the GI-Bill to help pay for four years of college.

A couple times we have looked at using the VA home loan program, but each time the hoops that we would have been required to go through were massive. So we have never used that program.

Every year I get the VA's "you are covered in accordance with the "Obamacare"" letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues