Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 10:49 AM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
And he was probably cut a nice check for retiring early, usually an inducement to forgo a pension.
I have a close friend who as an E7 was setup to re-enlist at 18 years. But his detailer said the Navy had no open billets for him to fill, so the detailer messaged the command to not offer him a re-enlistment contract. He got out and there was no bonus check.

He is a little disenfranchised now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 01:29 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Quote:
And he was probably cut a nice check for retiring early, usually an inducement to forgo a pension.
Army wouldn't give him a penny.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
No, you do not get "a nice check for retiring early" from the U.S. Military....

Old 01-17-2020, 03:16 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I am sure he will respect the drill sergeant, no matter the age.
Oh, I do to. An E6 knows how to play the game. It just cracks me up that they are putting this guy through all this.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:31 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
The military ages you quick. When I went in after high school, my Staff Sgt. was 33 but looked like he was 45+ with all gray/white hairs. Looking back, I would have liked the lifetime pension they get but 20 years (lifers) is a huge demand.

I'm guessing he was premature gray.

Does the military really age a person faster than typical outside the military?

Old 01-17-2020, 09:12 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
A SSG as a basic trainee? How will that work? Someone else posted that it was a waste of money to make this guy go to basic. I agree.

They will probably make him the acting platoon sergeant, which is a position that is filled by a basic trainee who has prior service. He would wear an arm band with sergeant stripes on it and march outside the ranks, calling cadence.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:10 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,371,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Well, when you leave active duty without retiring you resign your commission. So if he left then he would no longer be a commission Officer.
Not true, you have to specifically request to resign your commission otherwise you will be placed in the inactive reserves. Most do not do this because they still have a reserve service obligation and there is little to be gained by resigning their commission. Also if he was an O6, he would be eligible to retire already - under DOPMA regulations, the promotion window to O6 is 21 to 23 years of service, past retirement eligibility.

We had a 66 year old O3 (Navy LT) drill in my reserve unit - he was a WW2 vet that had never resigned his commission and came back to drill, his son was the unit CO.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:45 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
No, you do not get "a nice check for retiring early" from the U.S. Military....
You did when I was in, but that was during a drawdown. I knew an E-7 with 17 years who got over a hundred thousand dollars to retire early (this was at the end of George H.W. Bush's presidency) and he had a job lined up as a police officer in Louisiana, so he opted for the cash payout instead of a pension.

At that time, even though I only had 6 years of service, I was given a check for $10K when I ETS'd, all because I was considered "career military" after 6 years, and I had no intention of re-upping anyway.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:53 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have a close friend who as an E7 was setup to re-enlist at 18 years. But his detailer said the Navy had no open billets for him to fill, so the detailer messaged the command to not offer him a re-enlistment contract. He got out and there was no bonus check.

He is a little disenfranchised now.
That's pretty messed up, but I have to wonder if that is a real reason he was barred from reenlistment. There are a multitude of things that can keep one from being able to reenlist, and the "no open billets" reason could be a face saving excuse.

Not saying it is, but I'm skeptical of that reason. My experience with Navy regulations is, admittedly, about zero.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:03 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I'm guessing he was premature gray.

Does the military really age a person faster than typical outside the military?
Its a hard life... mentally and physically...……...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues