Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 05:24 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
For the first time ever, woman set to pass Special Forces Training, become Green Beret
https://foxbaltimore.com/news/nation...ret-03-01-2020
by KAYLIN JORGE, WZTV StaffSunday, March 1st 2020

"Upon graduation, the enlisted National Guard female solider is slated to become an 18C, or Special Forces engineer sergeant, the NYT reports."

MOS-18C is "Army Special Forces Engineer Sergeant". Engineer Sergeants are experts in employing offensive and defensive combat engineer capabilities, including demolitions, landmines, explosives and improvised munitions, construction, home-made explosives, reconnaissance, and target analysis.
Not only did she seek out Special Forces, but the Special Forces job that comes with the unenviable task of picking apart IEDs and the like? Hat's off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 12:39 PM

779 posts, read 505,860 times
Good for her, but can she carry a 200 lb wounded soldier and run 100 yards?

Old 08-05-2020, 01:02 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Especially, when she has period?

No disrespect to GI Jane. It IS huge commitment. But, BMW is right. There are certain physiological and anatomical traites that can't be overcome.
Add to that basic gender accommodations, necessary for a female, when stationed somewhere, unless she'll be sharing restrooms and showers with male soldiers.

Outside of clear win for feminists, is it really feasible?

Old 08-05-2020, 01:19 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Seems like a huge amount of dedication and commitment just to be in the Army Guard. No offense to guardsmen. Just seems a little misplaced. So now she makes monthly UTA.... Even if she gets an AGR position - so what.

With the expense of that training she should be active duty imo.
Your "...just to be in the Army Guard...no offense to guardsmen" was a low blow AND an insult, buddy! I was a lowly guardsman/reservist my entire 30-year military career, but my civilian pay was equivalent to an O-6. The guardsmen (women!) of today are not your Grandfather's guardsmen (WOMEN!). You have no idea what this future female Green Beret does as a civilian. Don't assume, and don't subtly bash her for "being a little misplaced...for not being on active duty!"

Old 08-05-2020, 10:35 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Green Berets are suppose to work with the indigenous partisan/rebel groups. Having a female on the team can be useful/helpful like they in police forces.
From the start of accepting women in unrestricted combat roles I have argued the Army Special Forces, given their mission focus is where they belong. Not in a regular infantry company.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Especially, when she has period?

No disrespect to GI Jane. It IS huge commitment. But, BMW is right. There are certain physiological and anatomical traites that can't be overcome.
Add to that basic gender accommodations, necessary for a female, when stationed somewhere, unless she'll be sharing restrooms and showers with male soldiers.

Outside of clear win for feminists, is it really feasible?
They can be overcome. Women don’t have to have a period with certain types of birth control.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:36 PM

13,728 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Good for her, but can she carry a 200 lb wounded soldier and run 100 yards?

This was a problem with the San Francisco Fire department. When there is a serious fire everyone at the scene has to have the physical strength to do whatever is needed. My buddy who was a fire fighter explained because of a court order women had to accepted into the SFPD and a two-tier physical testing was implemented. This way the only way to ensure women could pass.

But when a hose has to be fastened to the fire hydrant in record time or a heavy door smashed down some women couldn't perform as needed. Which meant her team was light one person and when fighting a fire this can be a serious liability.

Now, I'm all for this woman making it as a Green Beret as long as she passes the same physical testing as the men.

If not she shouldn't be allowed in.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:04 AM

609 posts, read 349,743 times
I am surprised at the disrespect to women. Everyone on this site came from a woman...has a girlfriend, daughter, sister, etc.

In all of your interactions with women a man still cannot concede that women are better than men in some areas. Really!! Your that ignorant. Adding women to the team will require adjustments. Yes I cringe at the thought of lowering the standards too but changes can be made smartly.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:21 PM

127 posts, read 83,177 times
Was she held to the same PT standards?

Old 08-13-2020, 06:15 PM

779 posts, read 505,860 times
I am all for women in the workplace. I would vote for a woman for President in a heartbeat, but when I am clinging to a burning building, I want a muscular 200 lb. man to carry me down that ladder, just like I want a muscular 200 lb man to carry me to the aid station when I'm wounded, not a 120 lb. woman. Some things just can't be legislated into being, no matter how many people want it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues