Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 03:57 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Have you ever managed or prepared a DVAAP for a federal agency/department? If not, I think you need to watch what your stepping in before you talk about where others HAVE walked.
I have no reason to watch my stepping and am not particular to threats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 04:16 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
LOL at the OP. I have come across so many federal employees that "ACTUALLY SUCK" with no sense, common or otherwise. Talk about sweeping generalizations.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:24 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
What you are experiencing isn't normal, it's selective due to veteran employment equalization. It's the veteran's version of affirmative action. Because the US Government is supposed to hire based on merit and qualifications, veterans were competing against civilians with equal or greater qualifications. In some agencies, the specialized nature of the employment and job qualifications had little military equivalent, so, veterans were at a distinct disadvantage. In other agencies, qualified veterans made up only small portion of those qualified while highly qualified civilians out numbered veterans by a wide margin.

With some agencies it was all political. The VA for example was forced to give special consideration in hiring to disabled veterans and second to veterans before they were allowed to hire non veterans. Additionally some agencies were given veteran quotas which often resulted in hiring the best candidate for the needed position but also creating fill jobs just to have veteran proportional employment met.

You can see how some of this worked just by reviewing various agencies Disabled Veterans Affirmative Action Program (DVAAP) Plans (which are required to be available to the public) or the lesser known (secretive) veteran employment plans which allows for OPM to send qualification list only with 10 and 5 point veteran preference candidates. Agencies don't like to talk about it and in some cases, they have fought to be exempt due to the need for the "most qualified"; however, some agencies like DOD, Education, DOT and VA are forced to hire regardless of qualification.
Interesting response and makes sense. I gave reps.

I noticed that for important positions like IT, my agency has been posting more and more Direct Hiring Authority positions on USA Jobs to avoid having to hire a hardly qualified VET over a highly qualified non vet.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:26 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Interesting response and makes sense. I gave reps.

I noticed that for important positions like IT, my agency has been posting more and more Direct Hiring Authority positions on USA Jobs to avoid having to hire a hardly qualified VET over a highly qualified non vet.
The vet still has to be qualified. They also still have to have all the certs that the job requires. No amount of time in service or disability will qualify a vet for a job they are not qualified for.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The vet still has to be qualified. They also still have to have all the certs that the job requires. No amount of time in service or disability will qualify a vet for a job they are not qualified for.
I have witnessed it many times. We get a vet that barley meets the minimum required for the position. Then we get a none vet that blows us away. The director recommends the non vet, but is forced to hire the middling vet, who then slacks off from day one.

This is not all, but a large majority.

The good vets we get even make fun of the fact that most of the incoming vets that we had to hire are gonna, well, you know.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:34 PM

I should also say that the best vets we get, by far, are Marines. Army a close second.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I have witnessed it many times. We get a vet that barley meets the minimum required for the position. Then we get a none vet that blows us away. The director recommends the non vet, but is forced to hire the middling vet, who then slacks off from day one.

This is not all, but a large majority.

The good vets we get even make fun of the fact that most of the incoming vets that we had to hire are gonna, well, you know.
Then the minimum requirements need to be raised. Its not a hard process.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Then the minimum requirements need to be raised. Its not a hard process.
Do you have any idea how long that would take? I’ll be dead by then. Lol.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Do you have any idea how long that would take? I’ll be dead by then. Lol.
Not long if the ones who are in charge want it done. Saw it done in less then 2 weeks when I was stationed in Quantico.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Not long if the ones who are in charge want it done. Saw it done in less then 2 weeks when I was stationed in Quantico.
We hired an ITS six moths ago. The vet had once helped his supervisor install MS Word on his/her laptop. The non-vet's CV read like he was Bill Gates himself.

The Vet came in to the interview with his fly down (literally).

Guess who the hiring manager was forced to hire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues