Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 12:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
.........The experiences are not different, same damn thing for every boat, it is not like you go on the Jackson out, and me on the Ohio have differing processes and way we do things.

Isn't it, just a little, the differences between the east and west coasts of the US Navy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 01:28 PM

1,386 posts, read 999,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Isn't it, just a little, the differences between the east and west coasts of the US Navy?
I can't speak to subs, but speaking for the surface Navy, east coast and west coast definitely had different ways of doing things. But I'd THINK--that when it came to the release of ballistic nuclear missiles, there would be exactly ONE way to do it. There would be exactly ONE procedure. There would be no improvisation. I say that knowing virtually nothing about the operation of a boomer.

It seems kind of crazy to think that any random sailor could, on a day the mood struck him, turn a valve and stop the launch of missiles if that launch had been directed by the CO of the boat.

--

Old 04-09-2021, 01:34 PM

1,386 posts, read 999,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Every crewman onboard knows of multiple methods to stop us from launching nuclear missiles. So when launch orders are received the entire crew needs to be in agreement to launch.
Honestly? That seems crazy to me. The decision to launch is a consensus? As I understand it, the NCA authorizes and orders the launch, and the CO of the boat makes it happen. It just seems bizarre that you'd need a consensus of the crew to launch.

--

Old 04-09-2021, 01:35 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Not at all. He is talking substantial differences that do not even exist. Plus we were at the same base, same squadron (only one squadron though, lol), I was friends with people through "A" school that was on his last boat the same time he was.

The differences are trivial, not substantial and not remotely close to how he portrayed. But no, just could not help myself but counter such false information.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:36 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Honestly? That seems crazy to me. The decision to launch is a consensus? As I understand it, the NCA authorizes and orders the launch, and the CO of the boat makes it happen. It just seems bizarre that you'd need a consensus of the crew to launch.

--
It is crazy because it is not true at all. There is no consensus of the crew, it is complete BS.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:43 PM

37,459 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:

--
On my first boat SSBN654 in the 1970s we had a couple of instances of attempted sabotage.

On my last boat SSBN732, I was put on the drill team. Before each drill happens the drill team meets and plans how we are going to give the crew the indications that they need while performing the drill. As a beekeeper by hobby I have a couple smoker machines, that I can use to generate smoke. I brought one of these on patrols with us, along with stuff to make the smoke a variety of colors, to best indicate to the crew what we wanted them to see to guide their actions. It was during those drill team meetings preparing for BSMs that I really learned some of the methods that regular crewmen could use to sabotage missile launch.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:20 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times
Quote:
The vast majority of orders given in the military are not to "go get yourself killed."

--

LOL. When I was in Basic Training in the '70s, a DI had us all in the bleachers in front of the barracks and asked "HOW MANY OF YOU ARE READY TO DIE FOR YOUR COUNTRY??!!"

All but myself and three or four others jumped to their feet, shouting and all 'gung-ho'.

The DI said "All of you who are standing up, you're a bunch of dumb****s. You can't do your country any good if you're dead. Your object is to make the *other* guy die for *his* country."

I was not very good at 'following orders' before I went into the Army at the age of 17. In fact, I was so anti-authoritarian that telling me to do something would practically guarantee that I would do the exact opposite. However, I understood how the Army worked before I volunteered, and I signed a contract which meant that I was agreeing to follow orders as instructed and I took that seriously.

In addition, another part of Basic Training was about not just 'following orders', but about following *lawful* orders- and being expected to use our heads to know if orders were 'lawful' or not, and to *not* follow orders that were not lawful.

I learned a lot in the Army, which has served me well since. I probably would have made it a career, had I not been seriously injured prior to my physical to enter West Point (in-service nomination).

Personally, I think this country would be a lot better off if *everyone* was required to serve two years (BT, AIT, remainder Active Duty) immediately after High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues