Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 11:06 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Looking at my DD-214, location information is listed in three blocks:

- Last duty assignment and major command

- Station where separated

- Command to which transferred
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 01:19 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My DD-214 does not show any of the schools I attended, and there were a bunch of them.

As others have mentioned, it does not show the duty stations to which I was assigned.
Correction. It does show my last duty station and my "A" school. None of the other schools noted.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 04-23-2021 at 10:41 PM..

Old 04-23-2021, 05:59 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Mine showed 15 months overseas duty, but didn't say where. I got it revised to show I served in Korea.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:54 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Mine showed 15 months overseas duty, but didn't say where. I got it revised to show I served in Korea.
Because of that you should also have been awarded the KDSM Korean Defense Service Medal just in case they didn't tell you or it wasn't marked.

Old 04-28-2021, 04:51 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,055,725 times
Quote:

Why? Unless you were there during the Korean War or during a time when you were receiving some sort of combat zone benefit(hostile fire or imminent danger pay, tax exclusion all of which I'm pretty sure stopped in the early 70s), it doesn't matter where you did OCONUS time. As oldsoldier1976 mentioned, you should have a KDSM on your DD214 or you can apply for it and get it added.

I have a feeling too many people are trying to turn their 214 into something it is not. It isn't a diary, documentary of your life, or a resume. It is simply a form saying you entered then left the military, cumulative foreign or sea service, went to these schools, were awarded/earned these things for you uniform, and what type of discharge you got. If someone deployed, it will specify where, but even that is redundant as you receive campaign or expeditionary medals for that.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we should half ass a 214-my **** is two pages, but let's not turn it into something it doesn't need to be.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Because of that you should also have been awarded the KDSM Korean Defense Service Medal just in case they didn't tell you or it wasn't marked.
I got it revised so I could get the KDSM.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Why? Unless you were there during the Korean War or during a time when you were receiving some sort of combat zone benefit(hostile fire or imminent danger pay, tax exclusion all of which I'm pretty sure stopped in the early 70s), it doesn't matter where you did OCONUS time. As oldsoldier1976 mentioned, you should have a KDSM on your DD214 or you can apply for it and get it added.

I have a feeling too many people are trying to turn their 214 into something it is not. It isn't a diary, documentary of your life, or a resume. It is simply a form saying you entered then left the military, cumulative foreign or sea service, went to these schools, were awarded/earned these things for you uniform, and what type of discharge you got. If someone deployed, it will specify where, but even that is redundant as you receive campaign or expeditionary medals for that.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we should half ass a 214-my **** is two pages, but let's not turn it into something it doesn't need to be.
Why? I wanted the KDSM. Korea service must be on your DD-214. Was there in 1957-58. Never got shot at, no combat, etc. But I did get one R & R.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:29 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,055,725 times
Quote:
Why? I wanted the KDSM. Korea service must be on your DD-214. Was there in 1957-58.
Interesting. I only looked up a couple services and the Army has crappy information for retroactive approval(what else is new), and the Navy/USMC has pretty decent information on it and does not require Korea on a 214-they simply use the appropriate source docs and a self certification.

Oh well-hope it worked out for you.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Interesting. I only looked up a couple services and the Army has crappy information for retroactive approval(what else is new), and the Navy/USMC has pretty decent information on it and does not require Korea on a 214-they simply use the appropriate source docs and a self certification.

Oh well-hope it worked out for you.
All of my records burned. I sent a copy of my 214, supplied proof I had been stationed in Korea and asked for my records to be updated and for the KDSM. There was no KDSM when I served, so it couldn’t be on my 214.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues