Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 08:31 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
A very large and overweight dude at RTC San Diego was instantly named Tiny by some of the guys the night we arrived in 1975. I was in line behind him when he got his multiple shots in the arm via pneumatic injector. He fainted straight away, and the corpsmen failed to grab him before he hit the pavement. I never saw him again.
We didn't have anyone faint from the shots, but one guy didn't stop like they told him to, and ended up with big cuts on each arm, one of which required stitches. And, he had to get those shots again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 09:13 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,525,368 times
38 years ago I met a bunch of guys in a bar. They were celebrating/mourning 1 of their buddies heading off to join the Navy.

Just before closing the celebrant mentioned to me that he thinks he made a huge mistake. He can't swim. He hates water and getting wet. He said he got seasick watching Flipper on TV. In his moderately inebriated state he suggested that I could go in his place. I told him no way. But he was desperate. He urged me until he was almost in tears.

Then he said he'd give me the Rolex watch that was passed down to him by his deceased grandfather. In addition, he was gonna mail me $20 a week. I hesitatingly agreed. He told me where to go. Made me memorize his Social Security number. Since I have a photographic memory, that part was easy. As a backup, I wrote it on my forearm with a sharpie.

At the induction center, I raised my hand when his name was called. I was handed a folder with his info. I read it on the plane to San Diego. He was suppose to go to Corpsman school after Boot Camp. Since I'm not big on anything bloody, I knew I had to get out of that deal.

We got to Naval Training Center and nobody is the wiser. I've become someone else. When it's time for the shots I fake faint in the line. I tell anyone who will listen that I'm deathly afraid of anything medical. They mock me saying I'll have fun at Hospital Corpsman school. I suggest I should change but they aren't very sympathetic.

At dental I get my choppers cleaned. The DTSN(Navy dental tech) is a looker. She's this exotic, ebony beauty. We chat a bit. I don't remember anything she said. She was a knockout. When I leave, I say to her, that I hope to see her again. She says I'm sure we will. I doubt it since I don't need any more dental work.

Boot camp is a shock for me. I fail to adapt. My evenings are spent at marching parties(Hours long exercise punishment). I go so often, they save me a spot in the front row. To compound things, the guy I'm impersonating sends me $20 the first week but only $8 the 2nd week. Then $7.49 the third week. Now I'm pissed. I write him a letter saying how his behavior is unsat(isfactory). He promises to catch up as soon as he can.

I get an appointment back to dental. It's slotted for 1115. I get there but the office is empty except for the bella signorina. I look around confused. She tells me not to worry since everyone is out to lunch until 1300. I'm still confused. She says we have the office to ourselves until 1pm. Now I get it.
She grabs me by the triceps. She pulls me close. I can smell her cologne mixed with the Listerine. I suddenly feel lightheaded. In a soft tone she says that she has been thinking about me since the time she cleaned my teeth. Says she scammed for a week on how we could be together.

It's like I've been transported to a dream. I mention how I should pinch myself. She leans in and grabs me by the pec with her thumb and forefinger. She squeezes as she simultaneously pulls my flesh towards her. "OUCH", I exclaim. I inquire why she did that. Her reply was never mind.

For the next hour and a half we talk and get to know each other. I whine about marching parties. She tells me of her future plans of travel and adventure. I get to the part about my Hospital Corpman school dilemma. She says that she is tight with the classifiers and she can change me to pretty much whatever I want. Provided I have the approved ASVAB score.

I wasn't sure if she was teasing me with this line. "Why not go to Dental Tech school?". She says that they have a lot of openings in her clinic. If I pass the class, I could get stationed there. She asks if I think I could tolerate having her as a room mate. Whoa. Things are moving fast. But I don't care. I'm captivated by her caramel skin, her pouty lips, those firms thighs and buttocks, her devilish eyes.

Sensing my discomfort, she jokes, "I want to have your babies". Damn. I'm so infatuated, I want to have her babies. Glancing at the clock, she says it's time to march recruit, emphasizing the word recruit. She said it like it was a bad word. We embrace and kiss. It was like the best birthday party you ever had, Christmas and your favorite desert all rolled into one.

Then I'm motioned over to 1 of the cabinets in the office. She puts a mask on my face then turns the knob on top of the tank of the nitrous oxide. I take 6 deep pulls of the gas. My face goes flush. I'm not sure if it's her or the gas. I float out and head back to my company.

Now i don't care what happens. She's all I can think about. After dinner, the company yeoman hands me a chit. It's to report back to dental the next day. Guess what time I'm suppose to show up? Yep, 1115. Off I go to marching party. I get there and mysteriously, my name isn't on the muster sheet. I'm told to scram or else they'll put me in formation.

That night I can't sleep. I toss and turn. 1115 the next day can't come fast enough. Then I wrestle with the idea of coming clean to her. I'm living a lie. Can I trust her? Would she betray me? I'm torn between protecting my secret and blunt honesty.

1105 I'm off solo, marching solo to dental. I look around to see if anyone is watching me. I go in and see her. She nods her head to the left. Towards the staff lounge. We go in. We get comfy on the couch. After an embrace and a long kiss we stop and stare into each other's eyes.

She tells me that she had trouble sleeping that night. I don't say anything. Then I ask if she had anything to do with getting me out of the marching party. Now it's her turn to not say anything. She just curls her fingers under and looks at her fingernails. I instantly understand the message she is sending. I tell her I'm scheduled to go to marching party again tonight. Her next words surprise me. She tells me to go to the marching party and have a good time. I hear what she says but I'm not understanding why she said that. I say "Pardon?". She says tonight you will leave the barracks like you are heading to the marching party. She has duty that night. Then she says that she will meet me along the way and take me to the duty office for the 2 hours.

Before I head out again, I get the laughing gas treatment. In formation I'm giggling at nothing in particular. Everything is funny. I can do a whole year in boot camp in this condition. I get mail from the guy I'm replacing. He says he lost his job and no money is coming my way in the future. Now I'm fuming. I've kept up my part of the bargain.

I get a wild hair. If I go UA, they will look for him, not me. I could jump the fence and just blend in and become myself again. But that would mean no more afternoon dental encounters. Decision, decisions.

With the rest of the day to ponder, I weigh my options. Back in the barracks I get a ration of **** about being the marching party commando. They tell me to enjoy myself in prolonged pushup position. I smirk and tell them I'm sure I'll have the time of my life.

At the edge of the grinder we meet. She tells me to ditch my white duty belt. She gives me a duty arm band and tells me to put it on. Off we go to the duty area. We are alone. She says people are covering for her but we need to hurry. Then our passionate embrace turns into a full contact wrestling match. Boondockers and utilities go flying across the room. It didn't last long but it was memorable. I sweat more than I would have at any marching party. She gave me the nickname Monello from that moment forward.

Post coitus, I tell her I have something to tell her. I plan to come clean to her about my real identity. She also informs me that things are not what they appear. Then she begins to tell me a tale that is hard to fathom. She says she's not Dental Technician Hottie. Somehow she ended up going in the Navy in place of a friend. She thought the plan would fall apart quickly but once she got in, she thrived in that environment. So she kept up the ruse.

Then she asked me what it was I wanted to say. I told her nevermind. It's not like I could top her story. But she pleaded with me. She said she felt vulnerable. I agreed and told my almost similar tale. When I finished talking she began to cry. She stated I was making fun of her. I was as sincere as possible telling her that she had to believe me. But I had no way of proving it. It was a bittersweet evening. We parted on difficult terms. Neither of us sure of where we were headed or what the future held. I knew I didn't want to lose her.

The next afternoon I promptly headed over to dental for my uhm cleaning. She looked melancholy. I was unsure how things would play out. She says she has a plan. Since we are both not who they think we are, we can just disappear. She says I can sell the Rolex for money. She also has a stash of cash buried in a metal container in a field close by the base.

I was uncertain what to do. The she looked at me and said words that I can recall clearly after all these years. "Get busy living or get busy dying!". I was sold. We schemed our escape. She wanted to act quickly before either of us changed our minds.

That evening, instead of going to marching party, we walked out the main gate of RTC/NTC. We strolled 5,000 feet as dirty scammers and came out clean the other end. We were free. We dug up her cash stash. Got on a bus headed towards Fort Hancock, TX. From there we made our way south to a little fishing village. We found a couple of guys that were running fishing charters in the sleepy little Mexican hamlet of Zihuantanejo.

Now I'm first mate on the boat. Missy sells tickets to the tourists. We are still together but don’t have any kids. My Spanish is getting really good. If anyone is interested, we are hiring as business has been good lately. It helps if you can tell an sea story or 3. It makes the work more interesting and helps the time pass.

Oh and the guy I was impersonating, he got arrested for desertion when he went to the courthouse to get his marriage license. That will teach the cheap SOB.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:02 AM

8,478 posts, read 6,880,671 times
Back in the day during Vietnam era Marine boot camp the DI’s had all all kinds of fun and games punishments for screwing up. There was one DI who did a kind of running jump kick into the gut for recruits who he thought messed up.

We were in Camp Pendleton during one phase of boot camp for rifle qualification. DI jump kick singled out some recruit for correction. He did his jump kick routine but misjudged his target and he went sideways into a concrete post and broke his ankle. Hilarious but of course no one dared to laugh.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:47 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,286 times
November, 1979 - Great Lakes Illinois. Boot Camp Graduation Day

On that day, I and one other recruit were the only ones without family in attendance. The other recruit was an orphan. My folks chose not to attend.

Because I had no family to celebrate with, I volunteered to stand compartment watch for that night's Watch Stander. As the the night progressed, my fellow recruits started returning to the compartment. Most of them stumbled in drunk, among them my recruit buddy Luccas. He was so drunk that I had to walk him to his bunk. He plopped down and began pointing at his midsection. He could barely speak and I had no idea what he wanted. I then noticed he was carrying something beneath his shirt. I unbuttoned his shirt, loosened his belt buckle, and found a bag with a pound of marihuana in it.

We had one week left in boot camp. That was the happiest week of basic training.

Old 10-15-2021, 12:09 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
38 years ago I met a bunch of guys in a bar. They were celebrating/mourning 1 of their buddies heading off to join the Navy.

Just before closing the celebrant mentioned to me that he thinks he made a huge mistake. He can't swim. He hates water and getting wet. He said he got seasick watching Flipper on TV. In his moderately inebriated state he suggested that I could go in his place. I told him no way. But he was desperate. He urged me until he was almost in tears.

Then he said he'd give me the Rolex watch that was passed down to him by his deceased grandfather. In addition, he was gonna mail me $20 a week. I hesitatingly agreed. He told me where to go. Made me memorize his Social Security number. Since I have a photographic memory, that part was easy. As a backup, I wrote it on my forearm with a sharpie.

At the induction center, I raised my hand when his name was called. I was handed a folder with his info. I read it on the plane to San Diego. He was suppose to go to Corpsman school after Boot Camp. Since I'm not big on anything bloody, I knew I had to get out of that deal.

We got to Naval Training Center and nobody is the wiser. I've become someone else. When it's time for the shots I fake faint in the line. I tell anyone who will listen that I'm deathly afraid of anything medical. They mock me saying I'll have fun at Hospital Corpsman school. I suggest I should change but they aren't very sympathetic.

At dental I get my choppers cleaned. The DTSN(Navy dental tech) is a looker. She's this exotic, ebony beauty. We chat a bit. I don't remember anything she said. She was a knockout. When I leave, I say to her, that I hope to see her again. She says I'm sure we will. I doubt it since I don't need any more dental work.

Boot camp is a shock for me. I fail to adapt. My evenings are spent at marching parties(Hours long exercise punishment). I go so often, they save me a spot in the front row. To compound things, the guy I'm impersonating sends me $20 the first week but only $8 the 2nd week. Then $7.49 the third week. Now I'm pissed. I write him a letter saying how his behavior is unsat(isfactory). He promises to catch up as soon as he can.

I get an appointment back to dental. It's slotted for 1115. I get there but the office is empty except for the bella signorina. I look around confused. She tells me not to worry since everyone is out to lunch until 1300. I'm still confused. She says we have the office to ourselves until 1pm. Now I get it.
She grabs me by the triceps. She pulls me close. I can smell her cologne mixed with the Listerine. I suddenly feel lightheaded. In a soft tone she says that she has been thinking about me since the time she cleaned my teeth. Says she scammed for a week on how we could be together.

It's like I've been transported to a dream. I mention how I should pinch myself. She leans in and grabs me by the pec with her thumb and forefinger. She squeezes as she simultaneously pulls my flesh towards her. "OUCH", I exclaim. I inquire why she did that. Her reply was never mind.

For the next hour and a half we talk and get to know each other. I whine about marching parties. She tells me of her future plans of travel and adventure. I get to the part about my Hospital Corpman school dilemma. She says that she is tight with the classifiers and she can change me to pretty much whatever I want. Provided I have the approved ASVAB score.

I wasn't sure if she was teasing me with this line. "Why not go to Dental Tech school?". She says that they have a lot of openings in her clinic. If I pass the class, I could get stationed there. She asks if I think I could tolerate having her as a room mate. Whoa. Things are moving fast. But I don't care. I'm captivated by her caramel skin, her pouty lips, those firms thighs and buttocks, her devilish eyes.

Sensing my discomfort, she jokes, "I want to have your babies". Damn. I'm so infatuated, I want to have her babies. Glancing at the clock, she says it's time to march recruit, emphasizing the word recruit. She said it like it was a bad word. We embrace and kiss. It was like the best birthday party you ever had, Christmas and your favorite desert all rolled into one.

Then I'm motioned over to 1 of the cabinets in the office. She puts a mask on my face then turns the knob on top of the tank of the nitrous oxide. I take 6 deep pulls of the gas. My face goes flush. I'm not sure if it's her or the gas. I float out and head back to my company.

Now i don't care what happens. She's all I can think about. After dinner, the company yeoman hands me a chit. It's to report back to dental the next day. Guess what time I'm suppose to show up? Yep, 1115. Off I go to marching party. I get there and mysteriously, my name isn't on the muster sheet. I'm told to scram or else they'll put me in formation.

That night I can't sleep. I toss and turn. 1115 the next day can't come fast enough. Then I wrestle with the idea of coming clean to her. I'm living a lie. Can I trust her? Would she betray me? I'm torn between protecting my secret and blunt honesty.

1105 I'm off solo, marching solo to dental. I look around to see if anyone is watching me. I go in and see her. She nods her head to the left. Towards the staff lounge. We go in. We get comfy on the couch. After an embrace and a long kiss we stop and stare into each other's eyes.

She tells me that she had trouble sleeping that night. I don't say anything. Then I ask if she had anything to do with getting me out of the marching party. Now it's her turn to not say anything. She just curls her fingers under and looks at her fingernails. I instantly understand the message she is sending. I tell her I'm scheduled to go to marching party again tonight. Her next words surprise me. She tells me to go to the marching party and have a good time. I hear what she says but I'm not understanding why she said that. I say "Pardon?". She says tonight you will leave the barracks like you are heading to the marching party. She has duty that night. Then she says that she will meet me along the way and take me to the duty office for the 2 hours.

Before I head out again, I get the laughing gas treatment. In formation I'm giggling at nothing in particular. Everything is funny. I can do a whole year in boot camp in this condition. I get mail from the guy I'm replacing. He says he lost his job and no money is coming my way in the future. Now I'm fuming. I've kept up my part of the bargain.

I get a wild hair. If I go UA, they will look for him, not me. I could jump the fence and just blend in and become myself again. But that would mean no more afternoon dental encounters. Decision, decisions.

With the rest of the day to ponder, I weigh my options. Back in the barracks I get a ration of **** about being the marching party commando. They tell me to enjoy myself in prolonged pushup position. I smirk and tell them I'm sure I'll have the time of my life.

At the edge of the grinder we meet. She tells me to ditch my white duty belt. She gives me a duty arm band and tells me to put it on. Off we go to the duty area. We are alone. She says people are covering for her but we need to hurry. Then our passionate embrace turns into a full contact wrestling match. Boondockers and utilities go flying across the room. It didn't last long but it was memorable. I sweat more than I would have at any marching party. She gave me the nickname Monello from that moment forward.

Post coitus, I tell her I have something to tell her. I plan to come clean to her about my real identity. She also informs me that things are not what they appear. Then she begins to tell me a tale that is hard to fathom. She says she's not Dental Technician Hottie. Somehow she ended up going in the Navy in place of a friend. She thought the plan would fall apart quickly but once she got in, she thrived in that environment. So she kept up the ruse.

Then she asked me what it was I wanted to say. I told her nevermind. It's not like I could top her story. But she pleaded with me. She said she felt vulnerable. I agreed and told my almost similar tale. When I finished talking she began to cry. She stated I was making fun of her. I was as sincere as possible telling her that she had to believe me. But I had no way of proving it. It was a bittersweet evening. We parted on difficult terms. Neither of us sure of where we were headed or what the future held. I knew I didn't want to lose her.

The next afternoon I promptly headed over to dental for my uhm cleaning. She looked melancholy. I was unsure how things would play out. She says she has a plan. Since we are both not who they think we are, we can just disappear. She says I can sell the Rolex for money. She also has a stash of cash buried in a metal container in a field close by the base.

I was uncertain what to do. The she looked at me and said words that I can recall clearly after all these years. "Get busy living or get busy dying!". I was sold. We schemed our escape. She wanted to act quickly before either of us changed our minds.

That evening, instead of going to marching party, we walked out the main gate of RTC/NTC. We strolled 5,000 feet as dirty scammers and came out clean the other end. We were free. We dug up her cash stash. Got on a bus headed towards Fort Hancock, TX. From there we made our way south to a little fishing village. We found a couple of guys that were running fishing charters in the sleepy little Mexican hamlet of Zihuantanejo.

Now I'm first mate on the boat. Missy sells tickets to the tourists. We are still together but don’t have any kids. My Spanish is getting really good. If anyone is interested, we are hiring as business has been good lately. It helps if you can tell an sea story or 3. It makes the work more interesting and helps the time pass.

Oh and the guy I was impersonating, he got arrested for desertion when he went to the courthouse to get his marriage license. That will teach the cheap SOB.
Your posts looks strangely familiar , lets see now, at first I thought you were Gomma Pyle from Full Metal Jacket, naw, its got to be that fellow from The Shawshank Redemption. Yet there are traces of Forrest Gump.I just don’t know.

Old 10-15-2021, 12:36 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Wow, thanks for telling your story. I really enjoyed reading that. Glad it worked out so well for you. How long did you stay in?
Only 3 years - when I was pregnant I had some complications and I was dx'd with lupus and was out on a med so, I became a DW.

Many people have horror stories regarding Military medicine, but they saved my life over and over. All of DH'S Commands and so many spouses fully supported us. We have been so very fortunate and we know it.

Old 10-15-2021, 01:00 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
So many memories of my time at Parris Island.

A few stand outs......

My last name was the same as a famous newsman (You know his name) so often times I was forced to run around the bunks giving weather reports for some reason. (Walter wasn't a weatherman)

The time the DI told us we were having "Duck" for dinner.... Didn't have but 1 minute to eat before they rousted us out.

When we went to the hand grenade range a recruit in line ahead of me milked the practice grenade and the fuse went off in his hand. I saw that and when it came to the live throw I didn't wait to throw it. I took a few healthy gut punches for that and some mountain climbers afterwords.

The time they hadn't let us have a head call all day and just finished a 5-mile run. I had to poop even before the run so when we were supposed to be in the shower I head to the head. Ssgt Gibbs who was about 6'5" of solid muscle caught me and lifted me off the head with one hand by the neck.

"loveit" There was a recruit in another platoon in our company who was apparently quite the F-up. I actually remember the guy's name which was "Loveit". We were at the rappelling tower and I hear one of the Di's yell down "Here comes Loveit" and the safety Di at the bottom just walked away.

When I went down the wall I wasn't very good at it so another gut punch. I went back up to do the rappel with no wall (forgot what they call it) and I just jumped and barely slowed down enough at the bottom to not get hurt.

On edit- The cruelest thing the Senior DI did was call all the smokers to line up for a smoke break after being there for about a week and a half without having smoked. We all eagerly lined up for our "Smoke break" and sure enough he gave us each a cigarette and made us break it in two.

Oh, the sand fleas were fun too...

Old 10-15-2021, 01:39 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Your posts looks strangely familiar , lets see now, at first I thought you were Gomma Pyle from Full Metal Jacket, naw, its got to be that fellow from The Shawshank Redemption. Yet there are traces of Forrest Gump.I just don’t know.
I salute you for reading that entire post.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:34 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
I salute you for reading that entire post.
Yeah, I sure didn’t. When it started sounding like a Penthouse Forums letter, I quit reading.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:01 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Yeah, I sure didn’t. When it started sounding like a Penthouse Forums letter, I quit reading.
"I'm a Midwestern college student and never believed any of the stories I read on Penthouse Forum, until it happened to me"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues