Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 06:41 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times

Advertisements

what is it doing in South China Sea?
Can you imagine if one of China ship shows up in the Gulf of Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 06:55 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
what is it doing in South China Sea?
Can you imagine if one of China ship shows up in the Gulf of Mexico?
Far more capable Russian submarines already patrol off of our coasts: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/05/world/05patrol.html

Still, therein lies a fair discussion. It's no secret that we operate submarines in the South China Sea and the US has openly admitted such; the SCS is, for the most part, completely international waters (that's all I'll write about that specific point, though).

But, as we continue project our power, we are going to have to contend with the possibility of our adversaries setting up major bases close to our "home" and staging some of their nukes close to our shores like we do in Turkey, which shares a maritime border with Russia.

Old 12-26-2021, 03:04 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Hmm, not a bad read, brief, but fairly accurate.

Not much detail in what you think may have gone wrong, fix uncertainty? Really?
Getting a fix is SOP whenever you stick a mast up when it is needed/called for, but there is no way on Earth that is going to be a cause of this. Ludicrous for them to even suggest it was a factor.

Quote:
It kind of burns my chaps to read an article that wrongly implies a sub must go to the surface to get a nav fix. Keep in mind we are monitoring gravity wells And the contours of the ocean floor. Hint, hint, ..
Just need to stick a mast up for a fix is all, coordinate with comms and the con to keep it up until the fix is done, because radio will have that thing down as soon as their download is complete.

Quote:
My profession was Navigation.

If the problem was in 'fix uncertainty', the individuals responsible would be the Assistant Nav, the Nav, and maybe the XO and CO. You would never drag in the COB.

In my initial reaction to this incident. The Nav was not fired. That clearly means the 'fault' does not lie with the Navigation department. The CO, XO, and COB were all fired. Which totally means the crew hated those arseholes.
The COB being fired, as I mentioned before, is the thing that gets me. a COB is fired only when there is some crew moral issue, or a violation they specifically did, they are not really in the operational CoC in this regards.

But yea, baffling the Nav (and Anav) was not mentioned, goodness, they would be first on the chopping block in such an incident. As many articles as there has been, no mention of the Nav and Anav, which makes me think it is not a journalistic oversight.

Quote:
So far the news articles to come out have not stated any of the reasons why the crew hates this CO, XO, and COB.
Not only that, how it filtered into causing this incident, unless the issues are conflated by the media (and Navy) and actions in regards to this incident have not yet all occurred. Hell, maybe something far fetched like ignoring the Nav and Anav.

Old 12-26-2021, 03:11 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Getting a fix is SOP whenever you stick a mast up when it is needed/called for, but there is no way on Earth that is going to be a cause of this. Ludicrous for them to even suggest it was a factor.
I agree.

Quote:
... Just need to stick a mast up for a fix is all, coordinate with comms and the con to keep it up until the fix is done, because radio will have that thing down as soon as their download is complete.
Yes.

Quote:
... The COB being fired, as I mentioned before, is the thing that gets me. a COB is fired only when there is some crew moral issue, or a violation they specifically did, they are not really in the operational CoC in this regards.

But yea, baffling the Nav (and Anav) was not mentioned, goodness, they would be first on the chopping block in such an incident. As many articles as there has been, no mention of the Nav and Anav, which makes me think it is not a journalistic oversight.
Are we picking at nits?

It just irks me when someone suggests this was an issue with navigation when it was clearly NOT about navigation.

Quote:
... Not only that, how it filtered into causing this incident, unless the issues are conflated by the media (and Navy) and actions in regards to this incident have not yet all occurred. Hell, maybe something far fetched like ignoring the Nav and Anav.
Hmm, no.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:59 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Yes, this was not a not knowing their location issue - they knew their position - the discussion of the SINS and need for getting a fix is not close to reality. Also, just having the nose cone being gone is not really an indication of significant damage - it is designed to be removed - we swapped one in about a day while at the pier. The dome is more for hydrodynamics and providing protecting the systems under it than anything else, one that is damaged can be worse than not having one. I can guess what is the reason for the dismissal, but it would be speculation.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:13 AM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times
As far as speculation, the sub was most likely performing a mission that was highly secretive, hence the delay of the news.

When the San Francisco was damaged the news came out very quickly and the sub was not in a contested area when the damage occurred.

For those of you that have commented and served time aboard subs, if you had in the mid-80’s been aboard 688’s you know that before the Soviet Union collapsed we were playing extremely close cat and mouse with their subs.

The fact that a very unique submarine was damaged possibly while performing a very unique mission, I would think would be justification for the purge of officers.

There is a significant shortage of dry dock availability right now along with maintenance backlogs. It will be interesting to see how quickly the boat gets repaired, and unlike the San Francisco there are no other boats to rob from as she is a unique one of three asset and the JC is even more unique than her.

“Navy officials want to “aggressively” engage industry to help fix the service’s dry dock shortage and optimize submarine maintenance. The service does not have enough dry docks to meet its maintenance needs, said Michael Breslin, executive director of the Navy’s attack submarine program office. “We have a backlog,” Breslin said today at the Naval Submarine League’s annual symposium. “I think everyone knows that. We have certain ships with idle times, but I’m not going to get into those numbers.” Breslin...”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Jimmy_Carter

Last edited by JBtwinz; 12-30-2021 at 07:22 AM..

Old 12-30-2021, 09:39 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
As far as speculation, the sub was most likely performing a mission that was highly secretive, hence the delay of the news.
Every submarine deployment is TS.

Quote:
... For those of you that have commented and served time aboard subs, if you had in the mid-80’s been aboard 688’s you know that before the Soviet Union collapsed we were playing extremely close cat and mouse with their subs.
I made patrols in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

I am familiar with cat and mouse games.

I had close friends who served on the Parche.

Quote:
... The fact that a very unique submarine was damaged possibly while performing a very unique mission, I would think would be justification for the purge of officers.
I don't see that.

The crew has lost confidence in their leaders.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:18 PM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Every submarine deployment is TS.

True but there are unique OPS

I made patrols in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

I am familiar with cat and mouse games.

That is a sub I won’t comment on

I don't see that.

The crew has lost confidence in their leaders.
Incidents rather than crew confidence play a much larger role generally in removals

Thanks for your service, and on another note I enjoy reading your posts in the Maine forum. While from New England originally it is a bit too late for us to start over in Maine but we still enjoy our trips there. While a it is remote area of Maine, my fascination with Aroostook County continues.

Old 01-13-2022, 12:59 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner
That is a sub I won’t comment on
Hah! Made me look it up.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-16-2022, 03:25 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I talked to a friend who knows someone who was on this boat when it hit the undersea mount (I've met the person but only in passing before I PCS'd in 2019). He messed his back up pretty badly during the collision, unfortunately. The team he was with has some physical (but largely psychological) issues as well apparently. My friend says that folks thought that they were done for during the collision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues