Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2021, 11:34 AM
 
13,134 posts, read 21,045,405 times
Reputation: 21430

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Just remember that anyone who disagrees, even slightly, with the one party system that the left is trying to create, is labeled an extremist.
and don't forget if anyone who disagrees, even slightly, with the one party system that the right is trying to create, is labeled a socialist liberal. Seriously, is that the best your prior military experience has enabled you to say regarding how the military is now being seen?

My opinion is extremist have always been in the military in some form or the other. We may have in years past called them by various identifiers but in the end, their extremist views existed. Today we are more willing to pull away the clock of secrecy and expose various differing, and at times seditious or criminal views. But what we have learned or we should have learned is when politics invade the military, it goes to hell.

Regardless if Left, Right or in the Middle, when a person joins the service they paused their right to allow their own personal political viewpoints to govern their military actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2021, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
23,652 posts, read 14,042,164 times
Reputation: 18861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
and don't forget if anyone who disagrees, even slightly, with the one party system that the right is trying to create, is labeled a socialist liberal. Seriously, is that the best your prior military experience has enabled you to say regarding how the military is now being seen?

My opinion is extremist have always been in the military in some form or the other. We may have in years past called them by various identifiers but in the end, their extremist views existed. Today we are more willing to pull away the clock of secrecy and expose various differing, and at times seditious or criminal views. But what we have learned or we should have learned is when politics invade the military, it goes to hell.

Regardless if Left, Right or in the Middle, when a person joins the service they paused their right to allow their own personal political viewpoints to govern their military actions.
And then there is the side of the coin when what you do calls for it.....at least from certain eyes.

One of my tactics, granted after the service, was to have an industrial strike team picked from those ethnicities usually associated as janitors and have them disguised as such. Why? To achieve a level of invisibility so when the police questioned people afterwards, the white collars may not remember the strike team since usually.....they don't see "such people".

It's not easy being devious......but someone has to do it. Anyhow, I was at my required, in civilian life, EEO training and I had to report on that tactic.........and every eye in the room was looking at me. The instructor was fair, however, saying that in the section that tactic was developed, that was expected....and then he told me what the counter to that tactic was......have the police interview the regular janitor staff, too!

Was I always so devious thinking? Maybe but it probably came to life when I got into EW and intelligence where knowing every little detail about the other guy is about learning what you can use to exploit him. Of course, it might have been watching, then, the West German anti terrorism films about the pretty young thing in the short dress who is going to draw you into the kill zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2021, 02:46 PM
 
28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
and don't forget if anyone who disagrees, even slightly, with the one party system that the right is trying to create, is labeled a socialist liberal. Seriously, is that the best your prior military experience has enabled you to say regarding how the military is now being seen?

My opinion is extremist have always been in the military in some form or the other. We may have in years past called them by various identifiers but in the end, their extremist views existed. Today we are more willing to pull away the clock of secrecy and expose various differing, and at times seditious or criminal views. But what we have learned or we should have learned is when politics invade the military, it goes to hell.

Regardless if Left, Right or in the Middle, when a person joins the service they paused their right to allow their own personal political viewpoints to govern their military actions.
As with most other problems, social media makes it much worse.

Back in the day, a military leader who disliked a political leader kept it to himself. Today, they feel some strange need to tell everyone else...as a military leader on social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2021, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Honolulu/DMV Area/NYC
30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Reputation: 34547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The character of the body of enlistees significantly changed after 9/11. There are a lot of other groups that both enlisted and officers have ties with today.
Define "a lot"

I'm still serving and haven't seen any cases of extremism during my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2021, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Honolulu/DMV Area/NYC
30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Reputation: 34547
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The definition is extremist activities is pretty broad, precise, but broad, seriously doubt it is only "right wing" given the definitions in the provided document.

The US trains all sorts, I mean look at many of the Taliban members, former US trained Afghan forces, lol.
The problem I have is that "white supremacists" are explicitly called out, before folks start talking about "and other extremists" . . . not in the instruction itself, but in the larger narrative. If you want to go after extremists, fine. But things smell funny how they are being done, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2021, 03:07 PM
 
28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Define "a lot"

I'm still serving and haven't seen any cases of extremism during my time.
Whether you see it depends on the water you normally swim in.

The military has traditionally been apolitical. We might have our political positions, but we studiously kept them to ourselves.

I consider any military person whose political position is so strong that he can't keep it to himself, but has to make it public, to be an extremist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2021, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Honolulu/DMV Area/NYC
30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Reputation: 34547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Whether you see it depends on the water you normally swim in.
Ok, but I'm still interested in what you mean by a "lot." Surely, this is quantifiable to some degree As I've mentioned, I'm still serving today and haven't seen it.

Interestingly, the whole push to target extremists stems from January 6, when, what, 100 veterans and active duty (overwhelmingly veterans) got caught up in the lawlessness, when there are many millions of veterans and active duty personnel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2021, 03:11 PM
 
28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Ok, but I'm still interested in what you mean by a "lot." Surely, this is quantifiable to some degree As I've mentioned, I'm still serving today and haven't seen it.

Interestingly, the whole push to target extremists stems from January 6, when, what, 100 veterans and active duty (overwhelmingly veterans) got caught up in the lawlessness, when there are many millions of veterans and active duty personnel.
No, Austin and Miley were talking about it before January 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2021, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Honolulu/DMV Area/NYC
30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Reputation: 34547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, Austin and Miley were talking about it before January 6.
I didn't hear them talking much about it before then. Regardless, January 6th was certainly the point that led them to issue the extremism stand down, despite what I wrote above about the incredibly small number of military personnel (either former of current) being part of the lawlessness that day, and serves as the foundation for other things we are seeing on this front from the DoD. Still, I see that you're not going to answer what you mean by "a lot"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2021, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
6,589 posts, read 7,101,323 times
Reputation: 9334
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Just remember that anyone who disagrees, even slightly, with the one party system that the left is trying to create, is labeled an extremist.
Says the MAGA side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top