Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 01:32 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,026,405 times

Advertisements

I've been retired for 27 years, so I don't have any experience with the modern day military. I will state that most members of the military have always leaned to the right politically, and it's not too far fetched to believe in today's world, a certain number are aligned with far right extremist groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 01:45 PM

39,401 posts, read 27,779,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
In today’s military, if you’re a traditional American with traditional values AND you don’t buy into today’s WOKE-ism, you’re now an extremist that needs to be purged from the military. If you’re not removed, be monitored for your conservative views.

I enlisted in 1980 and retired in 2010 and I truly believe that the extremist views, within WOKE-ism, is destroying both the Combat Readiness and Combat Effectiveness, especially within our Ground Combat Units.

I fully support the removal of any KKK/Nazi, ANTIFA/BLM, Street Gang members and other individuals involved with any other disruptive groups from the military since there is no room for that activity. I just have a concern with the very “undefined” definition of an extremist since I see it being “weaponized” to target individuals and groups, which can change at the mere suggestion from the political party, in power.
This

Old 12-29-2021, 03:57 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times
Thinking another way to frame the woke-ism, meets extremists, is this:

Back in the 1980’s thru 2000’s the joint chairman of the joint chiefs of staff and the leaders for each service, held beliefs that at least half of the military held. Whatever crazy idea came down the line from politicians, the senior leadership either re-directed or pushed back on the beliefs that were not held by predominantly in the military. Then things changed.

With gen Milley now being woke and reading “woke books”, he is the minority for the military. Less than 50% of the military believes they need to read some book on how to be woke. Milley thinks his recent insight will help enlighten the services but no, nobody is buying that sack. So without a doubt, gen Milley is on an island when in the past, he would have held the beliefs of over half of the services. It’s amazing Milley wasn’t peered out of Ranger school for being so out of touch from the rest of the military. This concept is just one example, climate change is another. We’re now “fighting climate change” as our #1 threat vs China or Russia? Sure thing buddy.

The leadership is so far out of touch that clearly this will and is affecting recruiting efforts. Every average high school student considering the military is at least doubting their values against a woke and climate fearing general who is on TV every day. This effort, and this thread, on seeking the answers of “extremism “, goes far beyond some one hour training session on some base.

Welcome to your new military.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:00 AM

6,289 posts, read 3,477,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Thinking another way to frame the woke-ism, meets extremists, is this:

Back in the 1980’s thru 2000’s the joint chairman of the joint chiefs of staff and the leaders for each service, held beliefs that at least half of the military held. Whatever crazy idea came down the line from politicians, the senior leadership either re-directed or pushed back on the beliefs that were not held by predominantly in the military. Then things changed.

With gen Milley now being woke and reading “woke books”, he is the minority for the military. Less than 50% of the military believes they need to read some book on how to be woke. Milley thinks his recent insight will help enlighten the services but no, nobody is buying that sack. So without a doubt, gen Milley is on an island when in the past, he would have held the beliefs of over half of the services. It’s amazing Milley wasn’t peered out of Ranger school for being so out of touch from the rest of the military. This concept is just one example, climate change is another. We’re now “fighting climate change” as our #1 threat vs China or Russia? Sure thing buddy.

The leadership is so far out of touch that clearly this will and is affecting recruiting efforts. Every average high school student considering the military is at least doubting their values against a woke and climate fearing general who is on TV every day. This effort, and this thread, on seeking the answers of “extremism “, goes far beyond some one hour training session on some base.

Welcome to your new military.
I agree with all that, and I’d like to add one other thing. The main problem is that every other General or Admiral thinks exactly like he does. The ones who don’t believe in progressive ideas have already been expunged from the ranks, and/or were stagnated at O-6 or below.

You know what it reminds of? The Nuremberg Trials. They asked Goring how could he have possibly went along with something so obviously evil? He stated that all the “No” men were put in the ground long ago.

So to the people that think if we just get rid of Milley everything will be ok, that is just not true. There is likely someone even worse than Milley waiting in the wings. The Pentagon has been taken over by the left, whether anybody wants to actually believe that or not. The Pentagon controls senior officer ascensions.

But I can’t wait for a person of color to take over the CJCS and then tell me with a straight face no less, that he is a victim and I’m his oppressor. A 4 star telling me, a retired SNCO, all that nonsense. Please.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:34 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,660,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
As a proud US veteran, I never witnessed any right wing anything in the 1980s or 1990s, when I served. If I saw anything sketchy, it was enlisted members that had ties to urban gangs.

Now forwarding anything that someone declares extreme, will end with service members coming under intense scrutiny.

dod instruction NUMBER 1325.06

link
From the view of data science and applied statistics, there are likely small clusters of extremists but nothing to the level of the 1940s when the US Military was blatantly segregated. Recall the "Zoot Suit" riot of the 1940s or the abandonment of an all-black unit by the US Military in the early days of the Korean War described by a Russian documentary. The 1940s and 1950s definitely had horrible racial tension within military units. This perpetuated in some cases into the Vietnam War.

In modern times, there are likely clusters but not a "giant pattern". I defer to experts who study such military issues with experience to back it up.

As a brown "Rez Indian" from AZ, I met many Veterans over the years. The main racism that stood out was the use of racial slurs against Vietnamese that seemed nonchalant to the Veteran but clearly horrifying to an Asian person. I thought that was bizarre - how could they use that slur so casually? But I saw that in Vietnam Veterans. As for modern Veterans, the only case of "racism" I personally witnessed involving a Vetaran was not really racism per se. It involved a former "sarge" who clearly suffered from PTSD and anger management. I saw him get upset in a way that could be misconstrued as racism but I don't think he truly was. His anger management issues put him at risk for such an accusation though. He needed counseling in my opinion. But he has done some great work in his military service, so I think he deserves due process before just outright labeling him as an "extremist". I am sure there are more cases like that - PTSD and anger management.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:02 PM

578 posts, read 352,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I agree with all that, and I’d like to add one other thing. The main problem is that every other General or Admiral thinks exactly like he does. The ones who don’t believe in progressive ideas have already been expunged from the ranks, and/or were stagnated at O-6 or below.

You know what it reminds of? The Nuremberg Trials. They asked Goring how could he have possibly went along with something so obviously evil? He stated that all the “No” men were put in the ground long ago.

So to the people that think if we just get rid of Milley everything will be ok, that is just not true. There is likely someone even worse than Milley waiting in the wings. The Pentagon has been taken over by the left, whether anybody wants to actually believe that or not. The Pentagon controls senior officer ascensions.

But I can’t wait for a person of color to take over the CJCS and then tell me with a straight face no less, that he is a victim and I’m his oppressor. A 4 star telling me, a retired SNCO, all that nonsense. Please.
Is their a list of these generals and admirals who have been forced out because they don't believe in "wokeness," which is likely just a cover term for any policy or training you don't personally agree with. I'm just approaching two years retirement as an Air Force Chief (E-9) and have relationships with general officers and CMSgt's all the way up to the Air Force Major Command level. I did a 5 year tour as a instructor at our SNCO Academy, teaching the very E-9s serving with the Colonels through 4-star generals and SNCOs all the down down to the squadron levels. We taught leadership, strategic thinking, force development and employment towards mission effectiveness, resource management, etc...not wokeness. I worked side by side with commanders up to the 1-star level and our only focus was on those things and when problems arose dealing with dealt with them fairly.

On this topic, I had a NCO who had accusations of racism levied against him along with rumours. This guy was clearly far-right and MAGA, but outside of pissing some people off with some of his views and hat, had done nothing wrong as far as we had known. The commander initiated an IG investigation based on the allegations, and the evidence came back unfounded. This individual was later giving a commander's promotion recommendation based on his duty performance and my recommendation, and promoted that cycle. He is white, the commander and I, black. Guess we missed the woke memorandum and training, and neglected to purge him.

To be honest, you either have a drastically different experience from what I did or you are just upset that top Pentagon leadership didn't align themselves with the last CinC and against the Constitution. God bless them for that.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:27 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
Is their a list of these generals and admirals who …….believe in "wokeness,". .

Didn’t think there was a list but apparently, there IS a list….

https://votevets.org/candidates

And yes, these endorsements include a platform of climate change as threatening our security, “combatting” the spread of disinformation, rise of violent extremism, and ensuring the best an equal opportunity to serve.

https://votevets.org/policy-priorities

Old 01-02-2022, 09:17 AM

2,430 posts, read 1,559,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
The main racism that stood out was the use of racial slurs against Vietnamese that seemed nonchalant to the Veteran but clearly horrifying to an Asian person. I thought that was bizarre - how could they use that slur so casually? But I saw that in Vietnam Veterans.
By using slurs, it dehumanizes the enemy. It's easier to kill someone when you don't see them as equal to yourself. It's been done many times in history. Kraut, Nip, Haji are historic examples of a few of the milder monikers given to enemy combatants.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:43 PM

578 posts, read 352,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Didn’t think there was a list but apparently, there IS a list….

https://votevets.org/candidates

And yes, these endorsements include a platform of climate change as threatening our security, “combatting” the spread of disinformation, rise of violent extremism, and ensuring the best an equal opportunity to serve.

https://votevets.org/policy-priorities
You intent and desire is to be taken seriously in this discussion correct?

Old 01-02-2022, 03:33 PM

565 posts, read 479,288 times
Extremism = communism. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues