Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 06:30 PM

10,282 posts, read 6,808,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Now this piece of equipment is one very costly loss to Russia.
Yes, it was. Now, we're going to see the mind-set of Putin. Will he become vengeful? Likely. I see this "victory" as a possible problem. It may escalate to chemical war fare. Or, dare I say...nuke.

Sad to say, but this may become a problem.

We'll see just "how stable Putin really is..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 01:50 AM

6,592 posts, read 7,082,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yes, it was. Now, we're going to see the mind-set of Putin. Will he become vengeful? Likely. I see this "victory" as a possible problem. It may escalate to chemical war fare. Or, dare I say...nuke.

I do agree with your assessment. It could become a problem. I will say I think he is stable as far as a madman could be. How will this all play out we will see. I sincerely hope that behind the scenes that the US and one or two NATO nations have privately sent the message of where the red line is. So far we have not seen his country readying nuclear weapons (tactical and long range). It will be hard to see movement of chemical and biological weapons as they are usually carried in smaller munitions. That being said, his bluster hasn't swayed anyone out of making Finland and Sweden NATO members. We will find out in a month or so with NATO.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

I do agree with your assessment. It could become a problem. I will say I think he is stable as far as a madman could be. How will this all play out we will see. I sincerely hope that behind the scenes that the US and one or two NATO nations have privately sent the message of where the red line is. So far we have not seen his country readying nuclear weapons (tactical and long range). It will be hard to see movement of chemical and biological weapons as they are usually carried in smaller munitions. That being said, his bluster hasn't swayed anyone out of making Finland and Sweden NATO members. We will find out in a month or so with NATO.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:13 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,702,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Now this piece of equipment is one very costly loss to Russia.
Russian media:
"Ukraine did not sink the Moskva! It just caught fire and exploded because... reasons!"

Presumably, those reasons have something to do with incompetence. It's a wee bit sad when you're so desperate to spin away bad news that 'See how inept we are?' is perceived as less embarrassing than reality.

Also Russian media:
"Kudos to mighty Putin for hitting Kyiv with a fresh volley of missiles! That's teach Ukraine to think twice before sinking any more of our ships!"

Russia might want to get its story straight so it's not perpetually contradicting itself. On the other hand, perhaps it's too much to expect their state media to be any less bad at its job than the Russian military is bad at theirs.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:08 AM

5,944 posts, read 2,869,362 times
Or the US meida in digging for facts with political ramaforcations and leting the public know.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:02 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Or the US meida in digging for facts with political ramaforcations and leting the public know.
Errrr…… what?

Old 04-17-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
How much grog have you been drinking? You might want to slow down some. At least enough to get out a proper statement to show that you can actually write a sentence.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:51 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It was the mobile "command center" of a two system unit. They didn't leave behind the actual electronic equipment.

These were used in Syria to some effect on our GPS drones, however one wonders how effective it now, given that Russian forces were taking so many losses from drones in the Ukraine. It might be our engineers learned from it's use in Syria and already circumvented or countered the Russian jamming technology.

I remember in the 60's the USAF got ahold of an operational MIG, quite a prize. Then it became a joke - the MIG was so crude and backwards compared to American jet fighters that we really learned nothing from the technology except about it's limited capabilities when facing American jets. I mean really, still using steel for an fighter jet aircraft frame?
In 1976, Soviet pilot Victor Belenko defected to Japan in a MiG-25 FOXBAT. That might be the instance you're thinking of, because the FOXBAT was believed to be an exceedingly high-tech titanium interceptor posing a high threat even to the American SR-71.

It turned out to be surprisingly crude, with titanium only on the leading edges of the wings and vacuum tube era technology. The engines were powerful enough to pop it up to MACH 3 for a short period of time, but those engines would be trashed after that sortie.

That, and a few other things, killed the image of the "ten-foot tall Soviet soldier" in my eyes.

The US, through the Japanese, eventually returned the airplane to the Soviets in many small crates.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:03 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,702,684 times
Quote:
Such as... what?

That Russia has invaded Ukraine? Oh, wait... it's not an invasion, it's a 'special military operation'. Per Russia.

That it's a 'war'? Oh, wait... Russia has banned such a description for the 'special military operation' in Russian media.

That Ukraine sank a Russian ship? Oh, wait... Russia says it sank because of a fire of unknown causes, despite thee fact that Ukraine was claiming a missile attack before Russia had even announced anything was even wrong with the Moskva, so how could Ukraine even know about it unless they had done it?

Yeah, it's all the fault of the media boogeyman...

Old 04-18-2022, 03:53 PM

5,715 posts, read 4,680,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That, and a few other things, killed the image of the "ten-foot tall Soviet soldier" in my eyes.
The ten foot tall Soviets/Russians have always been a product of the military/industrial complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues