Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 06:33 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

I agree with most of you that only the American flag should be there ... but why on earth did the OP have such a ridiculous overreaction to a flag that was ONLY meant to show a welcoming attitude to all the gay men and lesbians who have served in the military (often at huge personal cost)?

I was a military brat (grew up in the enlisted ranks of the Air Force) so am NOT anti-military -- not now, not ever.

But the OP's reaction seems, well, extreme and totally idiotic. I mean, seriously, he needed the flag "out of his sight" because it was so disturbing? Seriously? OP, do you have no gay/lesbian friends? (Maybe you just pretend they are not, so it makes you feel better. )

And, BTW, not all "Christian" denominations would have such a horror at seeing an LGBT flag ... only the really nasty, punitive, horrible denominations that say everyone who doesn't believe the insane dogma that THEY believe is going to "hell," as if that even exists. IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 06:38 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Wow. I have no words. Last I looked LGBTQ+ and people of all denominations serve in the US military and deserve to be welcome at VA clinics.
That is an opinion that causes divisions. So some who served were homosexual or bisexual they need their own flag at the VA? Some who served were Catholics so should the flag for Catholics be displayed? What about Christian’s, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhist, individual Native American tribes, or flags representing subcultures of the USA like the Acadian flag representing Cajuns? Only flags that should be at a VA facility are flags representing USA, Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Marines, Air Force, MIA/POW, and maybe the state the VA facility is located.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:10 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I agree with most of you that only the American flag should be there ... but why on earth did the OP have such a ridiculous overreaction to a flag that was ONLY meant to show a welcoming attitude to all the gay men and lesbians who have served in the military (often at huge personal cost)?

I was a military brat (grew up in the enlisted ranks of the Air Force) so am NOT anti-military -- not now, not ever.

But the OP's reaction seems, well, extreme and totally idiotic. I mean, seriously, he needed the flag "out of his sight" because it was so disturbing? Seriously? OP, do you have no gay/lesbian friends? (Maybe you just pretend they are not, so it makes you feel better. )

And, BTW, not all "Christian" denominations would have such a horror at seeing an LGBT flag ... only the really nasty, punitive, horrible denominations that say everyone who doesn't believe the insane dogma that THEY believe is going to "hell," as if that even exists. IMHO.
It's my personal belief and my choice as it is their's. My heavenly father says not to hate the person, but to hate the sin.
And NO other flag should be allowed to be displayed in or at any VA clinic or otherwise. Quit pushing it in others faces and respect others veiws can go both ways.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
About 10 years ago I went to the VA hospital in Washington, DC. A lot of the offices had photos of Obama and his family all over the cubicles. Not the official photo but pictures cut out of magazines plastered on walls & partitions. A few places had what were borderline shrines to the ex president. Those were the ones that veered over the line towards being creepy.
I have to agree. Only presidential flphoto should be the one in office at the time. No matter you personal view of them. Or just don't have any, except the main entrances.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:00 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
About 10 years ago I went to the VA hospital in Washington, DC. A lot of the offices had photos of Obama and his family all over the cubicles. Not the official photo but pictures cut out of magazines plastered on walls & partitions. A few places had what were borderline shrines to the ex president. Those were the ones that veered over the line towards being creepy.
That’s an example of a cult of personality. People like that are a red flag. They border on obsession and can become verbally or physically confrontational towards anyone that makes any statement the individual deems as insulting toward their idol.

Old 06-26-2022, 04:19 AM

4,847 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
When Obama was elected, a black co-worker had a full-size wall calendar proclaiming 'We finally did it' or something like that. I thought it was inappropriate and always wondered if a white coworker would have gotten away with one of those posters of GWB asking, 'Miss me yet?'. I'm thinking no.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:21 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
This wasn't some official, formal flag display, so no I don't mind it at all; for the record, I would have a problem with any non-official flag flying from building flagpoles, etc. I would never have the nerve to ask someone to remove a pride flag from a pegboard. I guess a proclamation supporting LGBT service members that may or may not include the pride flag (because let's face it, this really isn't about a flag per se, but about homosexuality in general) would also offend some, to which I say folks need to get over it.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
When Obama was elected, a black co-worker had a full-size wall calendar proclaiming 'We finally did it' or something like that. I thought it was inappropriate and always wondered if a white coworker would have gotten away with one of those posters of GWB asking, 'Miss me yet?'. I'm thinking no.
Back in the days of calendars (the pandemic has been murder on the selection), I had a day planner in the office for my staff to write down when they would be out. The one I picked was of the Royal Ballet https://www.walmart.com/ip/Royal-Bal...ther/518209967 , something I could find joy in, something to brighten my day, something that someone else who came into the office might not be offended by.

Is our world gone that far to be so looking out for that which does not offend others? Perhaps yes......and perhaps no. Back to my Provost Marshal office, the early days. One of the things in the back of my mind was to display wall art that while it pleased me, no one else could get a look into my psyche to figure out how I ticked.

These days, I have my many diplomas up, the organization's calendar, and that is about it. There is an underlying department theme that one's office should not look like a dorm room hence why I keep it to the professional wall work which no one can question......and not much else.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:43 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
If the flag was in someone's personal cubicle, I'd have no problem with it. If it's on a general bulletin board intended for official VA information, then I do have a problem with it, as I'd have a problem with the red, green, and black Pan African flag or any of the black-colored American flags with their various colored stripes.

Official means official.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If the flag was in someone's personal cubicle, I'd have no problem with it. If it's on a general bulletin board intended for official VA information, then I do have a problem with it, as I'd have a problem with the red, green, and black Pan African flag or any of the black-colored American flags with their various colored stripes.

Official means official.
Exactly and if the VA won't fly the Christian flag, then ONLY ONE FLAG should be allowed to be flown, or displayed, in and on the property, THE AMERICAN FLAF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues