Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-08-2022, 05:36 PM
 
13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Reputation: 26025

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
A few thoughts on posts I've read:

I still have friends at the nose bleed levels of the Army. There are a myriad of reasons from woeful recruiting. But the desire to serve was waining long before Gen Z. There hasn't been a WW2 type situation for almost 80 years. Just a series of boondoggles that kids don't understand a reason for going.

Hunterseat, if you're a guy, I'd pay you to tell any of my 3 sons that they are "effeminate". All have served and would tell you you're full of it. Turn off Fox. Milley sucks for a lot of reasons, but teaching a well rounded curriculum at WP isn't one of them.

Ralph Kirk, killing it per usual.

"Woke" is a term used by the Boomer generation for anything they don't like.

The Russians are showing themselves to be the paper tigers that a lot of smart folks always thought they were. But we need boogeymen so we can continue to spend more on "defense" than the next 10 countries combined.
I'm not. Thankfully there are still real men in uniform but not for lack of trying. Have you seen the rainbow bedazzled training video being shown to emphasize using gender neutral pronouns? Nauseating. And the stress card in basic. I like the old days when a D.I. would stab you if he liked you. (friend of mine)
They've neutered drill instructors, watered down requirements and wonder why troops can't handle combat. No pride.

Plus it's common place to trash talk our great nation. Why did for it?

My female fighter pilot friend is being processed for discharge - myocarditis, thank you jab. Other pilots are in the same boat.

It's easy to research and draw your own conclusions. Those who have chosen not to take it won't be accepting jobs requiring it.

 
Old 07-08-2022, 05:40 PM
 
13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Reputation: 26025
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
According to the CDC, 88% of the U.S. population ≥ 12 Years of Age have received at least one dose of the Covid vaccine. There are many reasons for poor military recruiting, but vaccine mandates are not in the top three.
Top three? But perhaps a reason after all?
May I ask what branch and when did you serve?
 
Old 07-08-2022, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Reputation: 43748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, hell. I don't think I've ever heard anyone in person use the term, either. It's not something that comes up in my person-to-person conversations.

But that's not what you originally said.
That's what I thought that he meant.
 
Old 07-09-2022, 08:06 AM
 
13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Reputation: 26025
I thought this was interesting. Though recruiting has tanked...
If this many troops are refusing the jab, it stands to reason it's also affecting recruiting.
https://youtu.be/LRsHdcMrcDo
 
Old 07-11-2022, 01:31 PM
 
565 posts, read 470,434 times
Reputation: 1332
"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket" - Major General Smedley Butler, USMC.
 
Old 07-12-2022, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Reputation: 18855
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket" - Major General Smedley Butler, USMC.

Well, this and that.


If fighting for defence means fighting on the other guy's land, it is one thing and sound strategy. Fighting a pure defencive war, though, is a loser....and that General should know better than that. If in anything else, it means your land gets destroyed, not his.


The other thing is, look at Desert Storm. Are you going to wait for the other guy to build up all his might on your borders and not start fighting until he fires? Or are you going to take action before that and if you are, then what is the difference between offence and defence?
 
Old 07-12-2022, 09:35 AM
 
28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Reputation: 30933
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, this and that.


If fighting for defence means fighting on the other guy's land, it is one thing and sound strategy. Fighting a pure defencive war, though, is a loser....and that General should know better than that. If in anything else, it means your land gets destroyed, not his.


The other thing is, look at Desert Storm. Are you going to wait for the other guy to build up all his might on your borders and not start fighting until he fires? Or are you going to take action before that and if you are, then what is the difference between offence and defence?
I think DESERT STORM is quite the wrong example of your point.

The only reason we treated the Iraq invasion of Kuwait differently from the Libyan invasion of Chad was Nixon's petrodollar agreement with Saudi Arabia (who we actually believed Hussein intended to invade).
 
Old 07-12-2022, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Reputation: 18855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think DESERT STORM is quite the wrong example of your point.

The only reason we treated the Iraq invasion of Kuwait differently from the Libyan invasion of Chad was Nixon's petrodollar agreement with Saudi Arabia (who we actually believed Hussein intended to invade).

It was more a reverse illustration of "it's very nice when the other guy lets you build up your might on his border for 6 months before without contesting it by shooting". In short, if you are the other guy who lets his enemy do that in modern warfare, are you rather the fool?
 
Old 07-12-2022, 09:41 AM
 
28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Reputation: 30933
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
It was more a reverse illustration of "it's very nice when the other guy lets you build up your might on his border for 6 months before without contesting it by shooting". In short, if you are the other guy who lets his enemy do that in modern warfare, are you rather the fool?
That makes everyone a fool in the modern world except, maybe, Costa Rica.

It makes your neighbor a fool if he knows you have guns, and he hasn't sneaked over one night and burned your house down.
 
Old 07-12-2022, 03:31 PM
 
14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Reputation: 45726
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I thought this was interesting. Though recruiting has tanked...
If this many troops are refusing the jab, it stands to reason it's also affecting recruiting.
https://youtu.be/LRsHdcMrcDo
It doesn't stand to reason that the typical recruit, perhaps an 18-20 year old young man is deciding not to join the military because he has to take one vaccination. Many vaccines are required by the military and this is one is now approved just like the others are.

I read an article about the recruiting problem in Politico. Politico mentions the fact that compensation and wages in the military probably need to be increased to keep pace with civilian jobs. That seems a far more logical reason for young people not choosing to enter the armed services.

Most people make career and educational decisions for utilitarian reasons. It becomes a question of: What do I have to gain vs. what do I have to lose? There are some unique factors at play when it comes to military service. For example, patriotism and love of country may be a factor in enlisting for some where that does is not a reason for applying for civilian jobs. On the other hand, few civilian jobs carry the risks that being in the military may. Soldiers and sailors may have to give up their lives as part of their occupation while a similar risk does not exist in the vast majority of civilian jobs. The risk of taking a single approved vaccination is frankly miniscule compared to other risks.

If someone is actually refusing to join the military because they are required to take a Covid 19 vaccination, I would suggest they are a poor candidate for the armed services to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top