Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2022, 06:02 PM

608 posts, read 239,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
We have two problems going on here:

First, an unusually high percentage of people of an age appropriate to start a military career are unfit for service - too fat, diabetes, mental health issues, allergies, etc. I think a variety of issues are driving this, with unhealthy processed food being significant if not the major issue.

Second, fewer people want to join up. This may be due to the general appearance of corruption in the Federal government, and the military is also doing this to themselves with all the "woke" crap. Agonizing over which pronouns a particular person should be referred to with is not a proper military topic. The "woke" crap will drive away the exact kind of people you would think the military would want.
As I said, I was in the Army from 2004 to 2010. It remains one of the smartest financial moves I ever made, and I still reap some benefits of basically 6 years of saving 90% of my pay (no rent, no utilities, learning actual skills, et al). Also, I am proud to this day of the people with whom I served that made me into a man possessed of greater dedication, skill and, intellect.

This led me to talk with my son about 2018-2019ish about why I think the Air Force might be OK for him, amongst several options of course.

In only these few short years I have completely changed my mind.

Why would I want him to join any agency where he can be dishonorably discharged (which has as much of a negative impact as a felony conviction) for:

- refusing that garbage COVID injection, which was nothing more than dishonest experimental gene therapy

- stating (the fact) that there are 2 biological genders, and they are acquired at birtb

- or for refusing to accept that being born White means he is directly responsible for all of the world's problems

The Military is woke, College is woke, Public Service is woke, what's next, Trade Schools?

Old 07-28-2022, 06:08 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
As I said, I was in the Army from 2004 to 2010. It remains one of the smartest financial moves I ever made, and I still reap some benefits of basically 6 years of saving 90% of my pay (no rent, no utilities, learning actual skills, et al). Also, I am proud to this day of the people with whom I served that made me into a man possessed of greater dedication, skill and, intellect.

This led me to talk with my son about 2018-2019ish about why I think the Air Force might be OK for him, amongst several options of course.

Why would I want him to join any agency where he can be dishonorably discharged (which has as much of a negative impact as a felony conviction) for:

- refusing that garbage COVID injection, which was nothing more than dishonest experimental gene therapy

- stating (the fact) that there are 2 biological genders, and they are acquired at birtb

- or for refusing to accept that being born White means he is directly responsible for all of the world's problems

The Military is woke, College is woke, Public Service is woke, what's next, Trade Schools?
They are not dishonorably discharging anybody over any of those things.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:32 AM

634 posts, read 328,135 times
I'm just as glad as some of the people ITT are that they got out of the military. I mean, if they can be so wrong about such basic and simple stuff ITT (so confidently wrong too), I'm just imagining how many major screw-ups were prevented by them getting out. Seems like the military is better off.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:41 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
We just hope we don't have a war until we get some moral people in charge who maybe remember the story of Gideon. Our government is in a mess. National security does not exist. This administration is for everything that is evil and criminal.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:04 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We just hope we don't have a war until we get some moral people in charge who maybe remember the story of Gideon. Our government is in a mess. National security does not exist. This administration is for everything that is evil and criminal.
I think we are getting a little off topic here.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:15 PM

131 posts, read 51,568 times
Setting aside all the issues with the military, it's probably still a very, very good move for young people to enlist, if they would have to go into debt to go to college, or if they otherwise don't have any prospects for a well-paying job lined up for them.

I imagine the woke nonsense is annoying, but it still doesn't affect much of your daily life beyond being an advertising and PR thing to constantly showcase rainbow flags and the few token LGBT soldiers,

Old 08-03-2022, 07:00 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,050,754 times
Quote:

How in the hell did you manage to live off of only 10% of your pay for 6 years? Were you just a hermit in your dorm room when not at work?

Old 08-03-2022, 07:01 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,050,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think we are getting a little off topic here.
Exactly. Some always tend to bring politics into any thread.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:

So, were you married with children from 2004 to 2010 and living off your wife's income? Even if you were living on base (not paying rent and utilities), you still couldn't save 90 percent of your pay, unless your wife was working.

Otherwise, how were you talking to a son eight years later about a career in the Air Force?

Old 08-03-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton929 View Post
Setting aside all the issues with the military, it's probably still a very, very good move for young people to enlist, if they would have to go into debt to go to college, or if they otherwise don't have any prospects for a well-paying job lined up for them.

I imagine the woke nonsense is annoying, but it still doesn't affect much of your daily life beyond being an advertising and PR thing to constantly showcase rainbow flags and the few token LGBT soldiers,
Whatever "wokism" might be in the military, it's not any more than they will experience in the civilian world anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.