Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-04-2022, 12:15 PM
 
6,158 posts, read 3,380,493 times
Reputation: 11077

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The Navy met their enlisted recruiting goals and were only 200 shy of their officer recruiting goals.



https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...%20next%20year.
Although the Navy met its active duty enlisted goal, the service said doing so required it to drain its Delayed Entry Program pool to the lowest the service has experienced in 40 years.

Good luck next year, they are gonna need it.

 
Old 10-04-2022, 01:57 PM
 
28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Although the Navy met its active duty enlisted goal, the service said doing so required it to drain its Delayed Entry Program pool to the lowest the service has experienced in 40 years.

Good luck next year, they are gonna need it.
It's an error to think of DEP as any kind of resource "pool." That's called "counting your chickens before their hatched."
 
Old 10-04-2022, 02:37 PM
 
Location: South of Cakalaki
5,726 posts, read 4,713,224 times
Reputation: 5178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's an error to think of DEP as any kind of resource "pool." That's called "counting your chickens before their hatched."
All the branches do it.

The Army reached 104% of retention, but no telling who they had to let stay in.
 
Old 10-04-2022, 03:33 PM
 
28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
All the branches do it.

The Army reached 104% of retention, but no telling who they had to let stay in.
People in DEP are supposed to be normally qualified, not a pool of under-qualified "if we need you" bodies.

I was in DEP for a month just waiting for synchronization of basic training with my technical school.
 
Old 10-04-2022, 08:32 PM
 
Location: SC
635 posts, read 329,311 times
Reputation: 1475
Draining the DEP doesn't sound that bad to me considering they can keep people in the DEP for as many months as they sometimes do before shipping them out. I was in the DEP for the Air Force for eight months and I didn't even have a guaranteed job; I was just Open Electronics. I won't complain too much in retrospect though because being in Texas in the winter surely had to be better than if I had been there in the summer.
 
Old 10-04-2022, 09:23 PM
 
28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Draining the DEP doesn't sound that bad to me considering they can keep people in the DEP for as many months as they sometimes do before shipping them out. I was in the DEP for the Air Force for eight months and I didn't even have a guaranteed job; I was just Open Electronics. I won't complain too much in retrospect though because being in Texas in the winter surely had to be better than if I had been there in the summer.
I got to Lackland on July 6. Yeah, that did suck. Even when they put out the red flag on hot days, the TIs sometimes said, "Red flag? What red flag? I don't see no red flag. Fall in!"
 
Old 10-04-2022, 11:53 PM
 
Location: SC
635 posts, read 329,311 times
Reputation: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I got to Lackland on July 6. Yeah, that did suck. Even when they put out the red flag on hot days, the TIs sometimes said, "Red flag? What red flag? I don't see no red flag. Fall in!"
Sounds about right. I got injured while there, so the (at the time) 6.5 weeks of training wound up being over four months. I got to experience some high-heat days when spring came around. And then I went off to Keesler for Tech School, where you could take a shower at 5 in the morning, get dressed, walk outside before the sun had even begun to rise, and immediately be drenched in sweat and need another shower because of the humidity. I was glad to get to Korea when winter was rolling around after that.
 
Old 10-05-2022, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
24,686 posts, read 9,505,886 times
Reputation: 23027
As a veteran and contractor with 15+ years of service under my belt, the military is far too "woke and sensitive."

Back in the day, TIs (in the AF we call them training instructors) would spit in your face when they yell at you and you had to take it. Not anymore, today's recruits are soft.

They're too fat, too lazy, and too tatted up to serve.
 
Old 10-05-2022, 07:22 AM
 
2,913 posts, read 2,055,599 times
Reputation: 5164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As a veteran and contractor with 15+ years of service under my belt, the military is far too "woke and sensitive."

Back in the day, TIs (in the AF we call them training instructors) would spit in your face when they yell at you and you had to take it. Not anymore, today's recruits are soft.

They're too fat, too lazy, and too tatted up to serve.
As a former TI (from even farther back in the day) that is all hyperbole. Yes it was “tougher” back then, but there was no spitting in the face….smh. And yes, we did abide by the hot weather flag conditions. Trainees have DIED in the excessive Texas heat so why would we not abide by rules to save lives. And if you were caught doing any kind of outside training in black flag conditions, you better be ready to sign your LOC/LOR.
 
Old 10-05-2022, 08:09 AM
 
28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
As a former TI (from even farther back in the day) that is all hyperbole. Yes it was “tougher” back then
Actually, it's tougher now than it was in the early 70s. A few things are "easier," but overall it's a tougher course of training.

Quote:
but there was no spitting in the face….smh.
I think he meant that the TI would be so close to your face and shouting so ferociously that spittle might fly out of his mouth.

I remember one morning when my TI had the brim of his campaign hat against the left side of my head, shouting into my left ear, while our sister flight TI had the brim of his campaign hat against the right side of my head, shouting into my right ear. Butt chewing in stereo.

Quote:
And yes, we did abide by the hot weather flag conditions. Trainees have DIED in the excessive Texas heat so why would we not abide by rules to save lives. And if you were caught doing any kind of outside training in black flag conditions, you better be ready to sign your LOC/LOR.
I'm sure you did. But we definitely had some days we should have stayed indoors, according to the flag, but were out marching. I suspect it was to keep the flight from falling behind the training schedule. I will say, though, that our TIs were watching closely. At one point, mine came over to me while I was doing sit-ups and questioned, "Why aren't you sweating? How do you feel?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top