Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 12:03 PM

6,177 posts, read 3,388,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually, it's tougher now than it was in the early 70s. A few things are "easier," but overall it's a tougher course of training.

I think he meant that the TI would be so close to your face and shouting so ferociously that spittle might fly out of his mouth.

I remember one morning when my TI had the brim of his campaign hat against the left side of my head, shouting into my left ear, while our sister flight TI had the brim of his campaign hat against the right side of my head, shouting into my right ear. Butt chewing in stereo.

I'm sure you did. But we definitely had some days we should have stayed indoors, according to the flag, but were out marching. I suspect it was to keep the flight from falling behind the training schedule. I will say, though, that our TIs were watching closely. At one point, mine came over to me while I was doing sit-ups and questioned, "Why aren't you sweating? How do you feel?"
I can attest to that. In 1990 at Lackland, I had a TI yell at me with his mouth a centimeter from my face and I definitely got spittle, and I think he did it on purpose, too. I think they did that to test you. Americans don’t like their personal space invaded, so perhaps this was to see if you could handle the pressure? I don’t know, just an idea.

As far as if it was tougher basic back then as opposed to now, that’s really difficult to know. But since everything else in society has turned into everyone gets a trophy and everyone’s feelings can’t be hurt, you’d suspect that the training would be a lot easier today.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:29 PM

28,694 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

As far as if it was tougher basic back then as opposed to now, that’s really difficult to know. But since everything else in society has turned into everyone gets a trophy and everyone’s feelings can’t be hurt, you’d suspect that the training would be a lot easier today.
Well, we didn't have BEAST week, a deployment exercise.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:16 AM

5,771 posts, read 11,404,993 times
I would think that retention for most branches would be slightly higher at present due to a lower chance of long deployments to combat zones in the middle east or central Asia. I know lots of troops are now being rotated through one year tours in Poland, Bulgaria and some other places in eastern Europe, but that is a lot better duty than what they had in Iraq or Afghanistan.

No surprise that recruiting for all branches is in the tank when unemployment is near record lows and entry job wages are record highs.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:10 PM

532 posts, read 448,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I would think that retention for most branches would be slightly higher at present due to a lower chance of long deployments to combat zones in the middle east or central Asia. I know lots of troops are now being rotated through one year tours in Poland, Bulgaria and some other places in eastern Europe, but that is a lot better duty than what they had in Iraq or Afghanistan.

No surprise that recruiting for all branches is in the tank when unemployment is near record lows and entry job wages are record highs.
Hey that's way to easy!

Don't you want to rant about wokeism, military leadership, politics and make a generalization about young people being physically and mentally unfit?

https://news.usni.org/2022/07/20/mar...n%20an%20email.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
make a generalization about young people being physically and mentally unfit?
That's not a generalization, that's the primary problem DoD leadership has been pointing out for years.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:39 PM

636 posts, read 329,744 times
Quote:
That's not a generalization, that's the primary problem DoD leadership has been pointing out for years.
For sure. The obesity epidemic in this country didn't start in 2020.

Old 10-07-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

Quote:
Hey that's way to easy!

Don't you want to rant about wokeism, military leadership, politics and make a generalization about young people being physically and mentally unfit?

https://news.usni.org/2022/07/20/mar...n%20an%20email.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
For sure. The obesity epidemic in this country didn't start in 2020.
Right but obesity rates have been rising for years probably decades and are not just the problem of young adults. 45-54 year olds have the highest rate and as well correlations of education level, poverty/income and red vs blue states. So it still seems to easy to blame and generalize about an age group but if I were to pick one maybe you young 45-54 year olds are the problem?

https://usafacts.org/data/topics/peo...d8d015f5907ff7

Last edited by royalabran; 10-07-2022 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-07-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Right but obesity rates have been rising for years probably decades and are not just the problem of young adults. 45-54 year olds have the highest rate and as well correlations of education level, poverty/income and red vs blue states. So it still seems to easy to blame and generalize about an age group but if I were to pick one maybe you young 45-54 year olds are the problem?
I'm not sure what point you think you're making.

What difference does it make if 45-54 year olds are more obese than 18-year-olds? That's always been true. That's one of the reasons 45-54 year olds can't enlist.

The difference now is not only that more 18-year-olds are obese, but they are far more obese than they ever were before, and it's "old fat" that isn't as easily burned off in basic training as it used to be.

Fifty years ago, most 18-year-olds were not obese, and those that were usually easily shed that weight with a few weeks of consistent exercise and controlled eating.

That doesn't work anymore. A higher percentage is coming in fatter, and that chemically induced old fat (because they've been fat since toddlerhood, which didn't use to happen) doesn't burn off.

That's why they have accession weight standards that they didn't need 50 years ago.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what point you think you're making.

What difference does it make if 45-54 year olds are more obese than 18-year-olds? That's always been true. That's one of the reasons 45-54 year olds can't enlist.

The difference now is not only that more 18-year-olds are obese, but they are far more obese than they ever were before, and it's "old fat" that isn't as easily burned off in basic training as it used to be.

Fifty years ago, most 18-year-olds were not obese, and those that were usually easily shed that weight with a few weeks of consistent exercise and controlled eating.

That doesn't work anymore. A higher percentage is coming in fatter, and that chemically induced old fat (because they've been fat since toddlerhood, which didn't use to happen) doesn't burn off.

That's why they have accession weight standards that they didn't need 50 years ago.
Thanks! You write a better post than me! and I'll agree with it.

Obesity has been a life long personal struggle and that 45-54 yr age rings true for being the heaviest years for me.
I feel empathy for young adults who are already heavy because that was the one time in my life when I had the best control.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:31 AM

17,649 posts, read 17,756,446 times
I believe there’s multiple reasons that have all combined towards these recruiting numbers. Parents and educators who actively loath the military and try to pass on their hatred of the military towards their children or students. Obese graduates with little to no physical fitness experience. COVID trauma. Video game addiction. Drug addiction. Those who are patriotic who are also willing and able to serve having reservations about serving under the current US President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues