Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2022, 10:40 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times

Advertisements

Whether it’s the Navy reserve or Army National Guard, the majority of articles summarizing the recruiting shortfalls are focused on active duty components.

The Army National Guard has the most challenging numbers compared to the other reserve components. This summer it was 60,000 unvaccinated that were waiting to be shown the door but now that number dropped to 40,000 in September and now somehow is at 14,000. Still no outcome yet while the Army reviews options.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-new-ones.html

Old 10-09-2022, 02:13 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
There are so many snowflakes and now adults raised by parents who have breast fed them their entire lives, they don't want to work, they have an excuse for everything, they have not been taught to think for themselves, have no respect for others or this country, let alone the thousands that died for their freedom. The generation is pathetic. Hope they can speak Chinese. So glad I am old and don't have to watch the destruction of this country.

Old 10-12-2022, 06:17 AM

24,615 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
As a former TI (from even farther back in the day) that is all hyperbole. .
Not hyperbole. You think spit didn't fly into the mouth of a trainees face when being yelled at? It happened to me multiple times. I'm sorry that you were raised in a much softer service at a much softer time. Ofcourse I reported it in my climate survey but I'm sure it was ignored.

Our TI (TSgt Cardenas, I won't forget that man) had us sleeping in only underwear, sand t's, and socks for the first few weeks going to bed. We didn't know anything was wrong until the guys from the older flights said "what the hell are you guys wearing and why?"

There was humiliation, abuse, insults, fear etc. but we did it because we were poor as hell and didn't have any other option.

You apparently had no idea of what went on at your own job and I'm not surprised at all. Even abhorrent illegal stuff:
Quote:
The United States Air Force Basic Training scandal is the military sex scandal which took place at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. The scandal involved 43 female trainees allegedly victimized by their instructors during and after basic military training beginning in 2009.[1] Seventeen male instructors were accused of offenses ranging from the solicitation of improper relationships to rape, and 35 instructors were removed from their posts pending an investigation.[2][3] Nine of the accused instructors belonged to the 331st Training Squadron, and squadron commander Lt. Col. Mike Paquette was removed from command in June 2012 because of the problems in his unit.[4] In August 2012 Col. Glenn Palmer, commander of the 737th Training Group, was also relieved from his position due to the scandal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...aining_scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think he meant that the TI would be so close to your face and shouting so ferociously that spittle might fly out of his mouth.
Bingo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm sure you did. But we definitely had some days we should have stayed indoors, according to the flag, but were out marching.
Bingo again. No one ever forgets the way they're treated in basic, back in the day. People going through your private belongs and mail, not getting your phone calls, TIs spitting in your face, TIs making you get up after 1 minute of chow, sleep deprivation, the threats that you will be kicked out, etc. there's no TI on here who can defend that because we experienced it and moved on with graduation.

Last edited by Rocko20; 10-12-2022 at 06:36 AM..

Old 10-12-2022, 11:10 PM

6,096 posts, read 3,336,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Not hyperbole. You think spit didn't fly into the mouth of a trainees face when being yelled at? It happened to me multiple times. I'm sorry that you were raised in a much softer service at a much softer time. Ofcourse I reported it in my climate survey but I'm sure it was ignored.

Our TI (TSgt Cardenas, I won't forget that man) had us sleeping in only underwear, sand t's, and socks for the first few weeks going to bed. We didn't know anything was wrong until the guys from the older flights said "what the hell are you guys wearing and why?"

There was humiliation, abuse, insults, fear etc. but we did it because we were poor as hell and didn't have any other option.

You apparently had no idea of what went on at your own job and I'm not surprised at all. Even abhorrent illegal stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...aining_scandal

Bingo.

Bingo again. No one ever forgets the way they're treated in basic, back in the day. People going through your private belongs and mail, not getting your phone calls, TIs spitting in your face, TIs making you get up after 1 minute of chow, sleep deprivation, the threats that you will be kicked out, etc. there's no TI on here who can defend that because we experienced it and moved on with graduation.
I guess every experience is different, but I found USAF basic to be very, very easy. True, I wasn’t used to getting yelled at like that at first, but after a couple weeks, you learn the game and I found it all to be quite humorous. Towards the end of basic, I had to stifle laughter while we were being yelled at.

Looking back, I hold no bad feelings at all towards any of my TI’s. They were just doing their job. If I ever ran into them again, I’d thank them for doing their jobs and getting me ready.

They were obviously directed to put airmen in stressful situations to see if they can cope with it all. Throughout my long career, I was put in very austere conditions and worked many long hours. Sleep deprivation happened from time to time as the mission comes first. As far as food, it was pretty rare, but every once in awhile, you either skipped eating, or had a few minutes to eat something quickly.

Old 10-13-2022, 06:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Not quite a boot camp story but.......once has a Provost Marshal, I had a particularly nasty Friday the 13th. A sailor had decided that they were not going to obey orders any more, got very nasty talking with anyone who stood in their way, and I even got into fisticuffs with them. While the full bird psychiatrist examined them to clear us to ship the sailor out to the regional brig, the base XO had me and my police patrol in another room with him.

"I marvel at your restraint to such abuse. I was so close to taking a swing at them," he said or words to that effect.

By this time, I had slipped far into a focus state and I replied, "You would find your time as a plebe Sir very useful in this event.". Perhaps accurate but certainly not the way a lowly O-2 speaks to an O-5. When the incident was over and the sailor was on their way to the brig, he ordered me home.

But the point is that when you are back up against a wall with some an inch away from your face yelling in it, you do learn enormous self control ......to not slug them.........

...........to say nothing of what one learns carrying logs.

Of course, mental discipline is a side product of being in the service, not the end purpose. Let us be clear on this that the purpose of the service is not to straighten out people so they become better citizens but to produce the people who fight, one way or another, for the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
There are so many snowflakes and now adults raised by parents who have breast fed them their entire lives, they don't want to work, they have an excuse for everything, they have not been taught to think for themselves, have no respect for others or this country, let alone the thousands that died for their freedom. The generation is pathetic. Hope they can speak Chinese. So glad I am old and don't have to watch the destruction of this country.
Something rather like that and even "worse"......given the attitudes I saw a lot of yesterday, of how "I won't fight for this or that CONDOR who starts wars on his own emotional hurt," it seems that everyone of such attitude is operating under, "what's in it for me?" and hence......they rather deserve the government they complain about, the government of a country they are not willing to fight for.

AHEM!

A generation ago or so, when I started studying marine biology, certain members of my family cheered because at last I was getting to do what I wanted to do. I had done my service first, but now, it was my turn.

It seems, though, that a lot of them these days have the mind of Veruca Salt.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-13-2022 at 06:58 AM..

Old 10-13-2022, 07:27 AM

Default Navy numbers are in for recruiting in FY22

The numbers reflect that the enlisted active duty numbers were the only goals met for recruiting in FY22.in addition to numbers, the percentages show a significant downfall towards recruiting results. Keep in mind these numbers are only if 100% of each and every sailor arrives for initial training. Actual numbers have nowhere to go by lower at this point (for FY22).

https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/Ne...2022-and-goal/

From the article:
Navy finished FY22 with the following numbers:
FY22 Goal // Actual:
Enlisted (Active) 33,400 // 33,442 (reached the goal by 0.1%)

Officer (Active) 2,507 // 2,298* (missed goal by 8.3%)

Enlisted (Reserve) 7,400 // 5,442* (missed goal by 26%)

Officer (Reserve) 1,360 // 982* (missed goal by 28%)

*Preliminary numbers, which may change slightly based on Sept. 30 activity.

Old 10-14-2022, 05:11 PM

Default Army Times explores if Army is too woke

Everyone knows the Army Times leans slightly left so it’s interesting that they wanted to dive into the Army’s 25% shortfall in recruiting numbers. The focus of the long article is that the Army doesn’t ask “why” the current generation is not enlisting in high numbers. This is a key issue when trying to address the perceptions against enlisting in the military. Even if the answers aren’t what recruiters can fix, the Army should still want to (need to) hear them. 25% shortfall in recruiting is incredible.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...ke-to-recruit/

Here’s an excerpt:
“Instead of training and preparing for combat, today’s military is too busy worrying about teaching proper pronouns, how to incorporate men who think they’re women and women who think they’re men into the barracks and showers,” wrote Ron Eslick, describing himself as a 1970s-era Navy submariner. “[Joint Chiefs Chairman] General Milley and Sec Def Austin are a disgrace to the uniform I once wore. They are nothing less than lap dogs to the current administration. What a shame that our country has now become a second rate threat in today’s world.”

Old 10-31-2022, 05:48 AM

Default Restarting accelerated naturalization

Brief article to highlight a restart of a program to help boost army recruits.

https://recruiting.army.mil/News/Art...ent-residents/

Applicants that are non-U.S. Citizens can apply for accelerated naturalization during their initial interview with a recruiting noncommissioned officer. Acceleration is NOT mandatory if not interested in getting citizenship.

Old 10-31-2022, 06:04 AM

Default Restarting accelerated naturalization

Applicants that are non-U.S. Citizens can apply for accelerated naturalization during their initial interview with a recruiting noncommissioned officer. Acceleration is NOT mandatory if not interested in getting citizenship.

Actually, the crisis is and will continue to be retention, not recruiting. All those 2 and 3 year enlistments are coming due already.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/art...is_857968.html

Old 10-31-2022, 08:13 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post

That program has been around for decades.

It was active in 1977 when I went through US Navy bootcamp.

It was active when each of my sons went through US Army basic training, in 2005 and again in 2014.

At my last duty station [1997 - 2001] I had subordinates who were immigrants, working for their citizenship, from Brazil, Peru, Italy, and Georgia. The Peruvian had met a US recruiter in Peru, the first time he stepped foot on US soil was when he reported for bootcamp.

Come to think of it, while at my last duty station, my immediate supervisor was a Brit who had enlisted in the US Navy and served 20+ years.

Last edited by Submariner; 10-31-2022 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues