Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2022, 08:46 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Fat isn't different today, people just have a lot more of it. I can show you a high school football team that has 4 players over 315 lbs. One of these players was 370 lbs. last year, but slimmed down. And these are guys playing a sport. When I was in high school in the early 1970s, the biggest guy on my football team was 225 lbs. There are numerous reasons for the huge increase in obesity, but it will burn off with proper diet and exercise. The example I gave is from an undefeated championship level high school football team. Almost half the team would not meet the weight standard for the 17-20 age group. For example, the maximum weight for an average 5'9" male in that age group is 175 lbs. That boy could be a muscular football player or he could be a flabby video game player.
It does not burn off during the scheduled weeks of Basic training, and it's harder to keep off.

These days, kids get saddled with high fat metabolic set-points before they even start school. It's harder to burn off and it's harder to keep off.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:06 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It does not burn off during the scheduled weeks of Basic training, and it's harder to keep off.

These days, kids get saddled with high fat metabolic set-points before they even start school. It's harder to burn off and it's harder to keep off.
This may or may not be true. Set point weight is just a theory because there is no real proof. Researchers have observed that many humans return to a certain weight range, but scientific studies of weight are difficult. It's hard to control what human subjects eat and how much exercise they actually do.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This may or may not be true. Set point weight is just a theory because there is no real proof. Researchers have observed that many humans return to a certain weight range, but scientific studies of weight are difficult. It's hard to control what human subjects eat and how much exercise they actually do.
And yet, the actual experience and data of the services is that recruits are not burning off the weight in Basic today as they did in the past. That's why it has become an issue in recruiting today when it was not in the past.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:35 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
......... As I said before, the Army needs to focus cool stuff that an 18 to 20 y/o would like to do, so focus on a Mass-Tac Airborne jump, Blackhawks screaming in on a landing and Troopers jumping off with a purpose, M1 tanks speeding cross country and blowing stuff up. I bet that if the Army could focus on this for two quarters, they would see an increase in interests........
But can that be done.....or is it all a lie?

A and B. A: My Father was heavy anti AR-15, often saying that if you want to shoot a gun like that, join the Army!.....still have a little bit of a problem of how a career infantry soldier would not know the difference between the -15 and the -16....... The thing is, we know just how often someone gets to shoot a rifle in the Army as in not that much.

So for what is described above, how many people who join the Army actually get to do that and then, how often to they get to do it?

B: There is romance of recruiting and then, there is the reality of readiness. Remember the Reserve ads of "as little as one weekend a month and two weeks a year"? Well, sharing the office with a reserve colonel, he was saying of how much more time than that had to be put in. Not to say that such a statement isn't true for what it says.....but what it leads one to believe.

Sometimes, readiness can work for one's recruiting, in a good way. For as few times as most those in the service get to the range, I must have hit the mother lode in the late Cold War. Train the ASF, to the range. A bunker of ammo needs to be expended, to the range! The FAST is here, to the range! The instructors for the new officer candidates need to be tested, to the range! Every possibility I grabbed but for all the good stories one might tell for recruiting, I probably knew more poor ones not to use.

Old 11-07-2022, 06:16 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I don’t think that retirement is a significant issue to an 18 y/o or a 19 y/o, who only testing the water on their first enlistment. The issue is the Afghanistan failed retreat, all the negative tweets and YouTube videos of current or former vets making videos of the problem of toxic leadership throughout the entire military.

Today’s youth no longer need to listen to us old farts since they can get info immediately from individuals within their own age group.

I think the Air Force will be fine, as well as the Navy. The Marines is rather small in size, so they will survive. Plus, they have the best recruiting tool out there, their Dress Uniform.

The big loser will be the Army and the numbers do back this up. Honestly, I really do not think the Army can fix its image without a massive reworking on selling the “Army’s Story.” They need to stay away from anything that even smells of WOKE-ism since their last cartoon campaign blew up in their face and has done some serious and long term damage. As I said before, the Army needs to focus cool stuff that an 18 to 20 y/o would like to do, so focus on a Mass-Tac Airborne jump, Blackhawks screaming in on a landing and Troopers jumping off with a purpose, M1 tanks speeding cross country and blowing stuff up. I bet that if the Army could focus on this for two quarters, they would see an increase in interests. Plus, the Army might want to rethink their weight standards for individuals that are clearly not obese, but packing some extra padding… Which can be burnt off in Basic with ease.
The National Guard was running ads like that in theaters before the pandemic hit. It looked like your standard USMC commercial before you noticed the camo pattern was wrong.

Now for Top Gun Maverick the USAF had their F-35's screaming low over the ocean as on of the last ads shown before the naval aviation movie.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:12 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
The forced experimental covid jabs
The woke culture
The very likely future of fighting ww3 for rich bankers and power hungry politicians

Why would people want to join? I am a veteran and I loved my service. But I wouldn't want to be serving under this administration and leadership. No thanks.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:05 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
The woke culture
The very likely future of fighting ww3 for rich bankers and power hungry politicians

Why would people want to join? I am a veteran and I loved my service. But I wouldn't want to be serving under this administration and leadership. No thanks.
We-ll, minimal military service is a thing in my family. If Dad was going to pay for our college, the minimal we had to take were the 1st 2 years of ROTC for if the call went out, we had to be ready to serve.

Ford, Carter, Bernard Rogers, Congress, Reagan......I don't think any of their actions would have swayed me from serving. It was just something I was raised to do.

Long story short and to cut to the point, for a population that seems so full of people who believe in "Do your own thing", maybe the problem is the parenting that inspired such in them.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:54 PM

Quote:
The woke culture

That's stuff that veterans who loved their service would care about.

Kids today have been living in that world all their lives...that just makes the military more like what they're already accustomed to.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:08 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times
I have never served in the military but my dad and many family members have. I have been a federal employee for close to 40 years who just retired and worked for the navy in their civilian apprenticeship program and alongside navy personnel.

I don’t believe the social or political climate will have anything to do with recruitment. While not recruiting for the military we cannot recruit for our apprentice programs. Civil service was there for returning veterans and when I had the opportunity to enter the federal workforce I was so appreciative of the chance.

All the current navy yards are having the same problems recruiting. These young adults are a different breed brought up in a time of technology and innovation. A good many of our apprentices have graduated high school having never held jobs. They have no life experiences or any basic mechanical skills. Their attention span is close to zero and getting them away from their smartphones is like cutting off a limb to them.

I was on an industrial manufacturing panel for local businesses and the bottom line is that industry has to adapt to accommodate these young adults who have embraced technology and innovation since they were 5 or earlier.

I have friends who stood long watches, long deployments, in port overhauls and refits and I don’t see these young adults having both the focus and stamina to embrace a military career. They sure has heck don’t appreciate the civil service careers that have been handed to them.

This is a different generation unlike any we have seen before, they aren’t at fault but they have been brought up much more differently than many of us have.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 11-08-2022 at 06:43 AM..

Old 11-08-2022, 09:20 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
The woke culture

Members of the service get vaccinations all the time.

You have no proof whatsoever that Covid vaccination is slowing down recruiting. What you likely have is an agenda against vaccination.

Come back here when you have actual proof that vaccination has slowed down recruiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues