Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2022, 07:01 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Whether it works or not, it’s too early to tell. Navy is trying out 41 year old recruits vs previous max of 36.
https://news.usni.org/2022/11/09/nav...ge-for-sailors

When the services say “changing demographics “, they are now searching for a new demographic.
Honestly, going to basic at 41 or 42 would be brutal unless things have changed. Then followed up with some Airborne school?
I went to Kuwait for 6mo when I was 50. Even though we worked 72hrs/week I worked out and ran a ton. I was in the best shape of my life, evidenced by my nearly perfect fitness test score, better than my marine boot camp scores.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:10 PM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I went to Kuwait for 6mo when I was 50. Even though we worked 72hrs/week I worked out and ran a ton. I was in the best shape of my life, evidenced by my nearly perfect fitness test score, better than my marine boot camp scores.
You weren't sedentary until 41, though, I suspect.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You weren't sedentary until 41, though, I suspect.
No but it's never too late to get fit!

Old 11-26-2022, 04:54 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,103,764 times
Default Prep course for Army expanded

The current program of paying recruits to improve their test scores, just to met the minimum scores, is being expanded. Looks like there is little choice but to expand the program. Take in sub par candidates and try to flip them in 90:days. Bet they will expand the 90 days for “selected candidates “.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...rmy-secretary/

Another summary from a Army organization called AUSA.
https://www.ausa.org/news/army-pushe...cruiting-goals

The blame game is now shifted to recruiting having.a lack of face to face contact during Covid shutdowns. The usual reasons of only 20-25% being eligible to enter military has been consistentl for years, well before Covid. So new narrative was created. No mention of Covid causing the lack of face to face recruiting or perceptions about vaccines.

Last edited by johnsonkk; 11-26-2022 at 05:02 AM..

Old 12-04-2022, 07:26 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,103,764 times
Default Marine Corps Commandant on recruiting challenges

As said previously in this thread, when you remove 33% of potential recruits, right at the beginning, the pool of candidates shrinks before you even begin.

“The COVID-19 vaccine mandate is contributing to the military’s recruitment troubles, the top general in the Marine Corps said on Saturday.”

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...eral-says.html

When the General was explaining how the mandate is contributing to recruiting issues (his words), he stated:
“You talk to me in the cafeteria, and one of my first questions is, ‘Do I have to get that vaccine?’ And you go, ‘Yeah, you do.’ Ok, I’ll talk to you later. It's that fast.”

With over 1,000 Covid waivers in DOD now approved along with the Air Force allowing unvaccinated flight instructors to return to the skies, it looks as if DOD is giving up on Covid vaccines, especially with boosters being optional.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:49 AM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
As said previously in this thread, when you remove 33% of potential recruits, right at the beginning, the pool of candidates shrinks before you even begin.

“The COVID-19 vaccine mandate is contributing to the military’s recruitment troubles, the top general in the Marine Corps said on Saturday.”

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...eral-says.html

When the General was explaining how the mandate is contributing to recruiting issues (his words), he stated:
“You talk to me in the cafeteria, and one of my first questions is, ‘Do I have to get that vaccine?’ And you go, ‘Yeah, you do.’ Ok, I’ll talk to you later. It's that fast.”

With over 1,000 Covid waivers in DOD now approved along with the Air Force allowing unvaccinated flight instructors to return to the skies, it looks as if DOD is giving up on Covid vaccines, especially with boosters being optional.
Honestly, even if the mandate is lifted, you'll still have many hesitate as they know something like it can be instituted in an instant again.

Old 12-04-2022, 12:49 PM

37,485 posts, read 61,466,561 times
I am not certain that this vaccine mandate will have any more effect than the Anthrax mandate had.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:54 PM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am not certain that this vaccine mandate will have any more effect than the Anthrax mandate had.

It doesn't.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:43 PM

37,485 posts, read 61,466,561 times
As a child, I was taught to swear my loyalty to our flag every school day.

When I enlisted many of my fellow enlistees were doing it out of loyalty to the nation that they believed in.
[as an old man, I can not believe I was ever so naive, but maybe I was].

When I reached my six-year point, I had become disenfranchised with how our government works. I left the Navy and I did not want to have any further dealings with them.

It took a lot of concerted effort from many of my friends, and four years to convince me of the value of a 20-year pension. So after 4 years as a veteran, I re-enlisted.

When I reached my fifteen-year point, I held some of the highest security clearances that our Navy has, and I began reading CIA/OSI reports about some of the corruption and treason that our leaders were doing. Being loyal to my nation went against every belief that I held dear. Like every other career servicemember, I was aware of the consequences of leaking those secrets, and I decided to keep my mouth shut and stay in the career field to get that pension.

Today it is a different world, the cat is out of the bag. Everyone knows that our government does a lot of purely evil stuff, it always has.

Very few young adults today are eager to enlist, because every day they see articles in the news about how our leaders can not be trusted.

We turn our backs on our disabled veterans while offering an array of benefits to illegal aliens.

Being forced to take 40 vaccines is at the bottom of the list of issues.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:53 AM

24,681 posts, read 9,493,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Those who wanted to get out, will use it as an excuse to do so. Those who want to stay in, will get it.

Obesity, criminal history, and financial history are a far bigger problem. Plus every recruit thinks serving will be like watching "Full Metal Jacket" when in reality, instructors are no longer allowed to yell at you.

The military will never be able to stop kids from getting fat nor change their perception of what military service is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues