Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2022, 04:40 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,106,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am not certain that this vaccine mandate will have any more effect than the Anthrax mandate had.
The Covid vaccine issue is not a speed bump but stop sign in the recruiting process. The issue is not “just be sure to get it” prior to showing up to basic but a disqualification from the beginning. 35%+ of the recruiting pool continues to read the impact to the Covid vaccine for their age group AND also what it does not do for their age group. They aren’t getting it and when recruiters ask, it stops the conversation.

Did you read the quote from the Marine General? In this type of article, you’d expect him to downplay the issue but he didn’t, he emphasized it.

One another note, the merging of electric medical records now allows MEPS doctors to see recruits’ civilian medical records; and it is changing the game. No longer can recruits forgot to tell about past medications or injuries. Asthma and anxiety medications along with knee injuries are being identified prior to enlistments, thus eliminating more recruits that may have slipped in previously.

Old 12-10-2022, 07:27 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The Covid vaccine issue is not a speed bump but stop sign in the recruiting process. The issue is not “just be sure to get it” prior to showing up to basic but a disqualification from the beginning. 35%+ of the recruiting pool continues to read the impact to the Covid vaccine for their age group AND also what it does not do for their age group. They aren’t getting it and when recruiters ask, it stops the conversation.
You're claiming that not having already had the vaccine is disqualification from enlistment?

That seems unlikely. The service would more likely merely administer it in basic, as with all the other vaccination.

The question is whether the candidate would signify up front a refusal to take it at all...the dispute in this thread is whether that number is significant.

Old 12-11-2022, 04:49 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,106,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You're claiming that not having already had the vaccine is disqualification from enlistment?

That seems unlikely. The service would more likely merely administer it in basic, as with all the other vaccination.

The question is whether the candidate would signify up front a refusal to take it at all...the dispute in this thread is whether that number is significant.
Nobody believes that current unvaccinated are disqualified from enlistments. The Marine Commandant specifically said that potential recruits, who are unvaccinated, have no interest in getting vaccinated, thus ending that recruiting effort. Similar to someone saying they have asthma; it’s over, a deal breaker.

In the article, they quoted the Marine Commandant: “….. You talk to me in the cafeteria, and one of my first questions is, ‘Do I have to get that vaccine?’ And you go, ‘Yeah, you do.’ Ok, I’ll talk to you later. It's that fast.”

Nobody knows the direct impact of how many potential recruits are/were turned off the military solely because of the mandate to get the Covid vaccines. Fortunately in the current draft FY23 NDAA, both the House AND Senate versions have agreed to stop DOD’s Covid mandates. Why further reduce potential recruits with the Covid vaccines? The mandate will be history when President Biden signs the next NDAA into law.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:57 AM

30,309 posts, read 23,789,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
...We turn our backs on our disabled veterans while offering an array of benefits to illegal aliens....
This boils my blood almost more than anything else in this world (behind animal cruelty and child abuse).

The government is filled with self serving, lying, useless jacka$$e$!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Those who wanted to get out, will use it as an excuse to do so. Those who want to stay in, will get it.

Obesity, criminal history, and financial history are a far bigger problem. Plus every recruit thinks serving will be like watching "Full Metal Jacket" when in reality, instructors are no longer allowed to yell at you.

The military will never be able to stop kids from getting fat nor change their perception of what military service is.
Bolded: You've got to be kidding me. Do they think an enemy is going to handle them with kid gloves?

The people in this country are turning the U.S. into a joke.

Who would want to serve in a government run experimental lab disguised as a daycare, to be dismissed and forgotten when they get out.

Old 12-12-2022, 03:25 AM

746 posts, read 417,338 times
Abandoning our Vets has been going on for decades. The tradition continues but todays youth are smarter and plus as stated earlier the “cats out of the bag.” Additionally I think this generations goals are vastly different than prior generations

Old 12-12-2022, 09:23 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,447,960 times
It seems the military is starting to force high school kids to join the Junior ROTC. Obviously in an effort to get more recruits. Parents aren't happy about it being obligatory. If my son were given this option at high school, I'd encourage him to join the class, just for the disciplinary aspects, although I wouldn't be in favor of it being obligatory.

Thousands of Youths Are Compelled to Join Military's Junior ROTC

DETROIT — On her first day of high school, Andreya Thomas looked over her schedule and found that she was enrolled in a class with an unfamiliar name: JROTC.

She and other freshmen at Pershing High School in Detroit soon learned they had been placed into the Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, a program funded by the U.S. military designed to teach leadership skills, discipline and civic values — and open students’ eyes to the idea of a military career. In the class, students had to wear military uniforms and obey orders from an instructor who was often yelling, Thomas said, but when several of them pleaded to be allowed to drop the class, school administrators refused.

“They told us it was mandatory,” Thomas said....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thousands...154348130.html

Old 12-12-2022, 10:03 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Our local high school has a wonderful JROTC program. They train a competitive Rifle marksmanship team that competes all around the state. My son attended it when he was in high school. My only issue was that National Guard recruiters came on campus every week with free pizza, talking to the students about joining the National Guard as part-timers. The free pizza was a huge attraction to my son.

He had a difficult time understanding the personal economics of serving in the Reserves as compared to the full-time military.

Last edited by Submariner; 12-12-2022 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-12-2022, 10:18 AM

6,159 posts, read 3,380,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
It seems the military is starting to force high school kids to join the Junior ROTC. Obviously in an effort to get more recruits. Parents aren't happy about it being obligatory. If my son were given this option at high school, I'd encourage him to join the class, just for the disciplinary aspects, although I wouldn't be in favor of it being obligatory.

DETROIT — On her first day of high school, Andreya Thomas looked over her schedule and found that she was enrolled in a class with an unfamiliar name: JROTC.

She and other freshmen at Pershing High School in Detroit soon learned they had been placed into the Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, a program funded by the U.S. military designed to teach leadership skills, discipline and civic values — and open students’ eyes to the idea of a military career. In the class, students had to wear military uniforms and obey orders from an instructor who was often yelling, Thomas said, but when several of them pleaded to be allowed to drop the class, school administrators refused.

I wish I had had the opportunity of joining JROTC, but it was not in my school. I did a quick check, and I noticed that since my graduation (which was decades ago) they’ve added a very robust Army JROTC program at my old school.

Anyway, I am 100% in favor of making JROTC mandatory for all students. It’s guaranteed that some of them will take to it like a duck to water and start a career in the military that they never would’ve even thought about without JROTC.

The military is quickly becoming a “family business”, and new blood is needed. If there is anyone out there who is reading this post and thinking about joining the military, run, don’t walk, and go talk to your nearest recruiter. Doesn’t hurt anything to find out more.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:29 AM

68,348 posts, read 54,477,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/militar...icia-rcna35078

Not many people want to serve anymore. Many different reasons, but I feel that it is civilian leadership in DC that is the main problem. They are an absolute embarrassment and what happened in Afghanistan was also an embarrassment. The Generals who have to take a knee to the politicians in power in order to keep their stars aren’t helping either, if we are honest with ourselves. Allowing CRT in the ranks?

Can you blame a young kid for not wanting to serve under that? A big part of the reason why I joined up and served nearly 25 years is because I believed in the ideals of this country. What are the main ideals of the United States in 2022? To spread LGBT across the globe? To enflame Russia by coercing Ukraine into goading them to war?

But if (when) we elect new leaders in DC, I suspect recruiting will get back on track. Of course, NBC and the rest of the media will never tell you any of this. To them, it’s all obesity, drug use, and criminal activity. But recruiting goals have been met as recently as 2020. What’s changed since then? I think we all know the answer.

Yes, let's be honest with ourselves including the FACT it wasn't civilians who painted such a rosy picture of how well the training of the Afghan Army was going, it was the Generals supervising the training. And when it was time for the Afghans to step up and fight for their own country they demonstrated how lacking in training they were. And NO! I can't blame young American kids for not wanting to fight for Afghans who turn and run rather than fight for their own damn country.

I also seem to recall being told Vietnam would be a quick & easy action when Johnson elevated our involvement. Yeah sure, God didn't make little green apples and it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime either. Of course, now we trade with them, IMO this country would be in a lot better shape had we started trading with them in 1968 rather than invest so much blood & $$$ in an unnecessary war of choice which I doubt will ever be a best selling recruiting point.

Last edited by burdell; 12-12-2022 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-12-2022, 06:51 PM

30,309 posts, read 23,789,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post

My severe lack of trust in the government makes me view this as very disturbing. All I can think is, 'What are they up to? How will this affect us all in the future?'

I don't trust this, at all.

It's one thing to have a program there for kids to take if. they. want. but to mandate it? Nope! I don't trust that one bit.

There's something fishy going on.

The usual howls of 'conspiracy theorist' will surely ring out, but I've not been wrong, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues