Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2022, 04:47 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Many are working 2 jobs to pay rent, and/or starting businesses and doing side hustles.

They don't want to risk their lives just to make private military companies rich.
Better to go into a career field with a much higher risk of death or injury, like truck driving.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:10 AM

559 posts, read 336,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Which is why JROTC is usually in a slightly below average performing high school. Many JROTC programs are on Indian reservations in the Dakotas, Nebraska, etc. in some school districts there are few if any JROTC programs; for example NW DC in the Bethesda, Chevy chase areas along with McLean area in Fairfax county.
There is actually a provision written into the new NDAA to address JROTC distribution with plans to redistribute units more equitably in the future. This is something the Air Force has been concerned with for awhile, but more so due to the the south being overrepresented with units.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:40 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
There is actually a provision written into the new NDAA to address JROTC distribution with plans to redistribute units more equitably in the future. This is something the Air Force has been concerned with for awhile, but more so due to the the south being overrepresented with units.
How can that be addressed by the military? It's not as though distribution of units is a matter of military policy.

A good many military retirees desire to retire to the south...that probably makes a difference as to which regions have more potential instructors. And the residents of southern states overall have a more favorable view of the military, which would make a difference as to which schools would desire a unit.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:52 AM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
How can that be addressed by the military? It's not as though distribution of units is a matter of military policy.

A good many military retirees desire to retire to the south...that probably makes a difference as to which regions have more potential instructors. And the residents of southern states overall have a more favorable view of the military, which would make a difference as to which schools would desire a unit.
I don't have any data, but my general impression is the South has a more positive attitude towards the military than the North, particularly the Northeast.

I did two years of ROTC in college and I do think it had a positive influence on me.

Old 01-21-2023, 05:18 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Default Lessening ADHD requirements for military

Recently the military reduced the limitations on ADHD which increased the pool of applicants. Maybe another indication that the recruiting effort is difficult despite the recent lifting of the Covid vaccines requirements.

https://www.firstpost.com/world/us-m...-11887801.html

Bonuses could just keeping climbing but the recruiting changes only have so many levers they can pull to get young adults into the military.

Recently spoke to a construction manager for a nationwide gas station chain, which is feverishly building new stores. He said they were flooded with applications (in North Carolina) when the Covid vaccines became mandatory and they hired a bunch, mostly as assistant superintendents to oversee new construction, again nationally.

Old 02-19-2023, 06:50 AM

Default Safety concerns are #1 for slowing recruiting

Take that Covid shot out of the recruiting equation and what concerns are left? Apparently safety. Potential recruits don’t want to get injured so they are deciding against enlisting.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...ting-obstacle/

Can’t make this up.

Also, there was a new program started in January where enlisted soldiers can get promoted if they successfully recruit someone into the Army. Just once per soldier. And another new initiative is Army recruiters can get bonuses of nearly $5k, every 90 days, if they exceed their quotas.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:43 AM

6,093 posts, read 3,334,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Take that Covid shot out of the recruiting equation and what concerns are left? Apparently safety. Potential recruits don’t want to get injured so they are deciding against enlisting.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...ting-obstacle/

Can’t make this up.

Also, there was a new program started in January where enlisted soldiers can get promoted if they successfully recruit someone into the Army. Just once per soldier. And another new initiative is Army recruiters can get bonuses of nearly $5k, every 90 days, if they exceed their quotas.
“Revered but not relevant” seems really hard to believe to me. I believe they aren’t revered, nor relevant.

Why are they not revered? Their families don’t respect the current administration, partly due to the AFG surrender, partly due to policy.

In the past, when a kid wanted to join, his family was proud of him. Now, some even try to talk him out of it. But even if they don’t try to talk him out of it, they definitely aren’t excited about him serving the current administration.

Even though joining was the best thing I ever did, I’m not sure in this current climate if I would have joined. Which would’ve been a shame because I probably couldn’t have done better on my own without the military.

My advice to anyone out there who has reservations about joining, I’d tell them to fight through those thoughts and give it a try. One, it might work out good for you. Two, we don’t know the future, and future administrations might be better than this one.

Old 02-20-2023, 03:46 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
“Revered but not relevant” seems really hard to believe to me. I believe they aren’t revered, nor relevant.

Why are they not revered? Their families don’t respect the current administration, partly due to the AFG surrender, partly due to policy.

In the past, when a kid wanted to join, his family was proud of him. Now, some even try to talk him out of it. But even if they don’t try to talk him out of it, they definitely aren’t excited about him serving the current administration.

Even though joining was the best thing I ever did, I’m not sure in this current climate if I would have joined. Which would’ve been a shame because I probably couldn’t have done better on my own without the military.

My advice to anyone out there who has reservations about joining, I’d tell them to fight through those thoughts and give it a try. One, it might work out good for you. Two, we don’t know the future, and future administrations might be better than this one.
Another political rant...

This has nothing to do with politics. It's cultural and has been going on for a longer time than since 2021. I have a niece who joined the NG to gain educational benefits, and all was well until November when her unit announced an upcoming deployment. Her response? Three months pregnant now. Non-deployable in her MOS. And her papers are in as well, she'll do her one enlistment.

A young man who works for me is an EOD tech, civilian trained. I asked him why he didn't join the military like his cousin, who also worked for me a few years ago. "A. W. is gone too much." was his answer. He added that he didn't know how we who did serve could stomach being gone so long to places like Afghanistan where we had, in his words, no reason to be there. I reminded him of why we were there and what I was doing at 0200 on 12 Sep 2001. But the youth of today, the recruiting pool, doesn't want to go somewhere they don't understand; it's been so long that many were not yet born when the towers and Pentagon were attacked, they only read of Saddam Hussein. A peer of my niece, a nephew who is now an airline pilot, wants nothing to do with the military. Too hard, too much work. His own words, to his dad, not to me. His recruiting window was 5 to 10 years ago. The kid is lazy, but that's parental failure, everything was largely done for him by parents. When I say "cultural", it's something that's pervasive: parents are not wanting their kids to fail and they want everything warm and fuzzy. Sitting in a truck on the flightline in Minot, ND Christmas Eve is hardly warm, and definitely not fuzzy. Kids see pics like this and say "NFW!"

Old 02-20-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Another political rant...

This has nothing to do with politics. It's cultural and has been going on for a longer time than since 2021. I have a niece who joined the NG to gain educational benefits, and all was well until November when her unit announced an upcoming deployment. Her response? Three months pregnant now. Non-deployable in her MOS. And her papers are in as well, she'll do her one enlistment.

A young man who works for me is an EOD tech, civilian trained. I asked him why he didn't join the military like his cousin, who also worked for me a few years ago. "A. W. is gone too much." was his answer. He added that he didn't know how we who did serve could stomach being gone so long to places like Afghanistan where we had, in his words, no reason to be there. I reminded him of why we were there and what I was doing at 0200 on 12 Sep 2001. But the youth of today, the recruiting pool, doesn't want to go somewhere they don't understand; it's been so long that many were not yet born when the towers and Pentagon were attacked, they only read of Saddam Hussein. A peer of my niece, a nephew who is now an airline pilot, wants nothing to do with the military. Too hard, too much work. His own words, to his dad, not to me. His recruiting window was 5 to 10 years ago. The kid is lazy, but that's parental failure, everything was largely done for him by parents. When I say "cultural", it's something that's pervasive: parents are not wanting their kids to fail and they want everything warm and fuzzy. Sitting in a truck on the flightline in Minot, ND Christmas Eve is hardly warm, and definitely not fuzzy. Kids see pics like this and say "NFW!"

Nice stories but it’s not looking at the reality of recruiting numbers over the past 3 years. Recruiting success has been met with dismal numbers from all the services. The recruitment shortfalls are real now and were not a concern in 2010 when plenty were deployed and getting ready to deploy. 2017? Same thing. Every service branch met their recruiting requirements, what changed? Many factors but “long deployments “ and millennial social issues aren’t at the top of the list these days.

We just posted a quote from the Marine Commandant who said the #1 recruiting challenge was the mandatory Covid vaccine. Now that’s gone and it’s something else as #1 but it’s not long deployments keeping potential recruits out. Of course can’t be politics but why not. NOT 100% but yes, the social direction the military is headed is a factor but even the military can’t put a number on that (publicly).

Old 02-21-2023, 05:40 AM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
COVID did have an effect, I'll agree. My niece mentioned also did not get the vax, but her reason was as much about being non-deployable as the vax itself, before her unit officially announced the deployment. Her own admission; she graduated from Basic in mid-2020. The two-star in charge of USAF recruiting (USAF met their FY 2022 goals) stated COVID caused two graduating classes of high school students to be less aware of military service due to a lack of presence in schools or public places, and to become accustomed to stay-at-home lifestyles and 4-day workweeks. Additionally, an increasing percentage are not qualified. So many have an alphabet label of some sort (ADD, ASD, ODD, CD, etc.) that immediately disqualifies them.

The very fact that a business cannot get enough workers to be on staff says something significant has changed culturally or societally in the past few years. It's not like a million young people up and died... There is a small burger joint in the area and I have become friends with the manager, a late twentysomething with a strong work ethic. He says he cannot keep people because most find the work too hard for the pay, which is $15/hr.

Multiple factors are the cause. Not any administration, it's something that's been a-brewing for a while. When nearly 60% of a pool of candidates are not at all interested in military service, in many cases due to ignorance, and only 23% are qualified without a waiver, there will be shortfalls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.