Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2023, 12:40 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
People are different. I could never have recommended to anyone they serve under our last Commander in Chief. Many thought he was crazy.
Quite frankly, when I was in, I worried more about how the officers over me were affecting my stress levels more than who was the Chief.

Further, if there was to be a war, I would rather be in the military somewhere than a civilian waiting for it to fall on me.

After all, whether a civilian or in the military, the Chief is still the pilot of the airplane we all are on and we are all in it together.

Finally, I guess back then, one knew where they stood. That is, as a helicopter control officer, if the helo crashed on deck, odds are I was going to be under it and........the Captain would most likely order up turns on one screw, a hard rudder, and slide bird, pilots, me off the deck and into the sea. It was that kind of life..................

...............but then again, what isn't? I don't wear my class ring because doing that and being around running lines, then, was a good way to lose a finger. In that kind of sphere, at that age, maybe we don't think about the really bad happening (some less than others for I saw some line snapback).......but I am a little bit puzzled to where the sense of adventure is.

Maybe we strove too much too keeping people safe....under Reagan, I almost ended up going parasailing with a gift given to the ship but reading Proceedings in the 90s, the attitude of the wardroom was how to keep the sailors off the jet skies? As a teen, I was leaping off the 1st Cav rappelling tower at Ft Hood (a unit sponsoring us). What do kids do now?

Finally, when I was at TAMU, there was a puzzlement from NROTC training command. At most schools, commissioning in the USMC was low and Navy was high but at TAMU it was the opposite and they didn't know why. Well, being an Aggie, the answer back then was obvious in that so much one did was so much like the USMC, such as Bonfire, carrying logs, 2-3X days/week of running in formation, and unit intergrity, that follow on in to the Marines just seemed natural....to say nothing of being a far inland school.

But is it like that now? I don't know but, last time I checked, there is no more official Bonfire and I suspect that at least some of the insanity we did, known as gungho then, has been changed.

How motivated can one be if no one around them is being motivated?

Old 03-02-2023, 03:44 AM

483 posts, read 354,528 times
Norwegian NATO ally here with some interesting food for thought

In Norway, military service has been compulsory (in theory) since WW2. Up until about 10 years ago it was only mandatory for boys but now it is the same for both genders and they strive for gender balance.

Do to the change in warfare there hasn't been a need for taking the full cohort every year. What has happened is that admission has actually become competitive and getting selected for military service has become a status symbol.

https://thenorwayguide.com/military-conscription/

Old 03-02-2023, 05:40 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post

In Norway, military service has been compulsory (in theory) since WW2. Up until about 10 years ago it was only mandatory for boys but now it is the same for both genders and they strive for gender balance.

Do to the change in warfare there hasn't been a need for taking the full cohort every year. What has happened is that admission has actually become competitive and getting selected for military service has become a status symbol.

After the Cold War ended, Norway reduced its defence spending significantly, from 2.75%* in 1990 to 1.5%* since 2008.

Only 13% of each cohort will serve as a conscript, so the armed forces will select the best candidates based on aptitude, health, fitness and motivation.

*of GDP

Old 03-03-2023, 05:07 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
People are different. I could never have recommended to anyone they serve under our last Commander in Chief. Many thought he was crazy.
Yes, negotiating the withdrawal of troops for Americas longest war was crazy.

If you actually served, you would know the majority of troops lean right and LOVED Trump. Do you really think peace loving, woke, urban liberal hippies outnumber the rural, bible belt, conservative, southern, gun nut, "father was a veteran" troops?

Quote:
Military Veterans of All Ages Tend to Be More Republican
https://news.gallup.com/poll/118684/...epublican.aspx

Old 03-03-2023, 07:42 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post

I think it is similar in nations with fully volunteer services. However how the greater community honors the serving soldier and veteran changes with the political tides. At the moment the US is in a post Global War on Terror environment with the majority seeing the operations in Iraq as a major mistake along with attempting to change Afghanistan's culture falling into failure.

While service is not seen as it was in the post Vietnam low period it is far from the Sept 12, 2001 high point when recruits were turned away until the stop losses to field an army for Iraq started.

Old 03-04-2023, 10:46 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,350,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes, negotiating the withdrawal of troops for Americas longest war was crazy.

If you actually served, you would know the majority of troops lean right and LOVED Trump. Do you really think peace loving, woke, urban liberal hippies outnumber the rural, bible belt, conservative, southern, gun nut, "father was a veteran" troops?

https://news.gallup.com/poll/118684/...epublican.aspx
I would agree, as someone who did serve, that most troops likely lean right. Definitely not all, but a majority? I think so.

There's a potential distinction between leaning right and loving Trump. At least in 2020 those two things were not necessarily synonymous:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...ote-for-biden/

I would be interested in what a neutral poll conducted right now would reveal after the Afghanistan withdrawal.

Last edited by GeorgiaTransplant; 03-04-2023 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-05-2023, 05:43 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Default Army Reserves problem with officer management

Apparently the Army Reserves have not met their recruiting quotas since 2016 for officers. This article lays out all the shortcomings of completing officer training thus being short in the ranks and very slow promotions. Of course not everyone but they throw in some stats that appears to be 1 in 4 or 5 are untrained, thus lagging career wise. Article never states how much shortage there are in numbers.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...al-has-a-plan/

Some of the issues are 6 year lieutenants, commanders that are in lower ranks; often from not completing the military schooling. Article doesn’t identify how the recruiting shortage will be fixed. Don’t know if other reserves are this dire.

Last edited by johnsonkk; 03-05-2023 at 06:11 AM..

Old 03-05-2023, 05:19 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times
The fact that our last commander in chief called all fallen solders as, '' loser and suckers. '' is just beyond belief. Why would any vet support this guy. Did you have friends that were killed in service, remember them as you cast your support for him. I worked in the Prosthetic industry for years. After losing a limb, the government would only cover so much, after that, you did without.

''Abandoning our Vets has been going on for decades. The tradition continues but todays youth are smarter and plus as stated earlier the “cats out of the bag.” Additionally I think this generations goals are vastly different than prior generations.''

Old 03-05-2023, 06:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
The fact that our last commander in chief called all fallen solders as, '' loser and suckers. '' is just beyond belief. Why would any vet support this guy. Did you have friends that were killed in service, remember them as you cast your support for him. I worked in the Prosthetic industry for years. After losing a limb, the government would only cover so much, after that, you did without.

''Abandoning our Vets has been going on for decades. The tradition continues but todays youth are smarter and plus as stated earlier the “cats out of the bag.” Additionally I think this generations goals are vastly different than prior generations.''
When you use quotes in your post, who are you quoting?

Old 03-06-2023, 05:32 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I would agree, as someone who did serve, that most troops likely lean right. Definitely not all, but a majority? I think so.

There's a potential distinction between leaning right and loving Trump.
The point is that encouraging or discouraging someone from joining because the last commander in chief was a republican/trump, doesn't matter.

Most people who join, and consider joining, are going to lean right anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.