Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-06-2023, 08:20 AM
 
14,419 posts, read 14,344,428 times
Reputation: 45829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The point is that encouraging or discouraging someone from joining because the last commander in chief was a republican/trump, doesn't matter.

Most people who join, and consider joining, are going to lean right anyway.
The poster I originally responded too was asserting that recruiting was down because of our current C in C.

I tend to think your overall point is right. I doubt many are influenced to enlist or not enlist because the C in C is a democrat or republican.

 
Old 03-06-2023, 09:44 AM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Reputation: 12711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The point is that encouraging or discouraging someone from joining because the last commander in chief was a republican/trump, doesn't matter.

Most people who join, and consider joining, are going to lean right anyway.
You know this because you have surveyed people who join or are considering joining the armed forces? As someone currently teaching high school social studies, I can tell you the majority of graduating seniors don't know which way they lean.
 
Old 03-06-2023, 10:09 AM
 
484 posts, read 355,595 times
Reputation: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think it is similar in nations with fully volunteer services. However how the greater community honors the serving soldier and veteran changes with the political tides. At the moment the US is in a post Global War on Terror environment with the majority seeing the operations in Iraq as a major mistake along with attempting to change Afghanistan's culture falling into failure.

While service is not seen as it was in the post Vietnam low period it is far from the Sept 12, 2001 high point when recruits were turned away until the stop losses to field an army for Iraq started.
In Norway political tides play a very small role since the miltary selects from a cross section of society including the elites. While not everyone in Norway is supportive of the militay I don't know of anyone who disrespects those doing service or veterans since everyone knows multiple people who are serving or have served. While neither of my boys (now in their 20s) ended up doing military service, many of their friends did, including kids whose parents are in the 1% economically.

I don't recall any of my friends growing up in Oregon ever discussing the US military as a viable career choice other than the kids whos parents had served and had a positive experience. Of course that was 35 years and multiple military engagements ago.
 
Old 03-06-2023, 11:12 AM
 
28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You know this because you have surveyed people who join or are considering joining the armed forces? As someone currently teaching high school social studies, I can tell you the majority of graduating seniors don't know which way they lean.
They aren't going to know in terms of political right or left, but they have a clue insofar as the kind of lifestyle they're willing to tolerate in search of particular goals as well as certain overall philosophical leanings (even if they can't yet articulate them).

They know, for instance, if they're willing to endure a rigid lifestyle of obedience and physical rigor and, if so, whether they would do it for country or for future personal benefits.
 
Old 03-06-2023, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
23,652 posts, read 14,042,164 times
Reputation: 18861
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
The fact that our last commander in chief called all fallen solders as, '' loser and suckers. '' is just beyond belief. Why would any vet support this guy. Did you have friends that were killed in service, remember them as you cast your support for him. I worked in the Prosthetic industry for years. After losing a limb, the government would only cover so much, after that, you did without.

''Abandoning our Vets has been going on for decades. The tradition continues but todays youth are smarter and plus as stated earlier the “cats out of the bag.” Additionally I think this generations goals are vastly different than prior generations.''
Well, as this is the military forum, to the question I can only answer, "That's what makes horse races.".

As to the military itself, one is fighting for the country, not for a member of the government.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-06-2023 at 12:11 PM..
 
Old 03-06-2023, 02:18 PM
 
28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, as this is the military forum, to the question I can only answer, "That's what makes horse races.".

As to the military itself, one is fighting for the country, not for a member of the government.
That is why we don't take an oath to the president.
 
Old 03-06-2023, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
5,052 posts, read 6,357,293 times
Reputation: 7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The point is that encouraging or discouraging someone from joining because the last commander in chief was a republican/trump, doesn't matter.

Most people who join, and consider joining, are going to lean right anyway.
I was responding to your assertion that the troops LOVED Trump. I notice that was your point when you didn't think you would be called on it.

I believe that is false. There is distinction between leaning right, which the majority of the armed forces definitely do, and loving that particular strain of political leadership.

I suspect President Biden is equally disliked, by the way, for obviously very different reasons.



I also believe that the number of enlistees who even slightly care about the President when they're first enlisting is incredibly, incredibly low. People are putting too much credence on the President and his politics impacting who initially enlists at all. Those opinions form later, after they get past the first enlistment.
 
Old 03-06-2023, 08:03 PM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Reputation: 12711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They aren't going to know in terms of political right or left, but they have a clue insofar as the kind of lifestyle they're willing to tolerate in search of particular goals as well as certain overall philosophical leanings (even if they can't yet articulate them).

They know, for instance, if they're willing to endure a rigid lifestyle of obedience and physical rigor and, if so, whether they would do it for country or for future personal benefits.
I was responding to the post below about "leaning right."

How many people in the military "endure a rigid lifestyle of obedience and physical rigor?" My brother-in-law, for example, graduated from the Naval Academy, served on active duty for about 8 years, and retired from the Naval Reserve. He was overweight the entire time and had to have had some "assistance" to pass a physical fitness test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The point is that encouraging or discouraging someone from joining because the last commander in chief was a republican/trump, doesn't matter.

Most people who join, and consider joining, are going to lean right anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I was responding to your assertion that the troops LOVED Trump. I notice that was your point when you didn't think you would be called on it.

I believe that is false. There is distinction between leaning right, which the majority of the armed forces definitely do, and loving that particular strain of political leadership.

I suspect President Biden is equally disliked, by the way, for obviously very different reasons.

I also believe that the number of enlistees who even slightly care about the President when they're first enlisting is incredibly, incredibly low. People are putting too much credence on the President and his politics impacting who initially enlists at all. Those opinions form later, after they get past the first enlistment.
I agree.
 
Old 03-06-2023, 09:28 PM
 
Location: SC
635 posts, read 329,427 times
Reputation: 1475
New article going around about the Secretary of the Army trying to get schools interested in letting recruiters be more visible to kids and getting them back into more schools: https://apnews.com/article/army-recr...d28eccffa7eb4d

Relevant paragraphs for this thread and the discussions about why teens may not be interested n signing up:
Quote:
In a crowded auditorium at Whitney M. Young Magnet High School, Wormuth came face to face with those perceptions. Young students peppered her with questions about sexual assaults in the Army, homeless veterans, and the use of the military during racial unrest after the police killing of George Floyd.

Flying home after three days jammed with such sessions, Wormuth said the questions from the Whitney Young students, along with similar issues raised in other meetings, reinforce the need for the military to solve some it its more difficult problems.

“They asked about sexual harassment. They asked about, are they going to be safe? They asked about barracks, in addition to wanting to know what the benefits are,” Wormuth said. “That, to me, underscores the importance of us finding ways to solve those problems. Those are real issues and the market research we’ve done speaks to that.”
 
Old 03-06-2023, 09:33 PM
 
28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I was responding to the post below about "leaning right."

How many people in the military "endure a rigid lifestyle of obedience and physical rigor?" My brother-in-law, for example, graduated from the Naval Academy, served on active duty for about 8 years, and retired from the Naval Reserve. He was overweight the entire time and had to have had some "assistance" to pass a physical fitness test.
And yet, he did have to take those tests, and he was constantly under siege for his weight. That's certainly more than most people are willing to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top