Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-07-2023, 06:50 AM
 
Location: U.S.
9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Reputation: 5927

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
New article going around about the Secretary of the Army trying to get schools interested in letting recruiters be more visible to kids and getting them back into more schools: https://apnews.com/article/army-recr...d28eccffa7eb4d

Relevant paragraphs for this thread and the discussions about why teens may not be interested n signing up:
That’s crazy she went into a select STEM school in downtown Chicago where the vast majority are going to college. The school is nationally ranked and in the top 1% in math and English testing scores. Select a school but that school was ridiculous to gather generalizations about the recruiting challenges in America. How naive for the Sec Army to draw the conclusions that she’s quoted based on the environment she visited.

It’s likely no kids from that high school enlisted in the last 24 months, in any service.

PR stunt and it’s the wrong type of message towards actual youth interested in the military.

 
Old 03-07-2023, 07:20 AM
 
28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Reputation: 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
That’s crazy she went into a select STEM school in downtown Chicago where the vast majority are going to college. The school is nationally ranked and in the top 1% in math and English testing scores. Select a school but that school was ridiculous to gather generalizations about the recruiting challenges in America. How naive for the Sec Army to draw the conclusions that she’s quoted based on the environment she visited.

It’s likely no kids from that high school enlisted in the last 24 months, in any service.

PR stunt and it’s the wrong type of message towards actual youth interested in the military.
I do agree with that point.
 
Old 03-07-2023, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Reputation: 18856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And yet, he did have to take those tests, and he was constantly under siege for his weight. That's certainly more than most people are willing to deal with.
WHAT? Are you saying that people don't want to muster 15 minutes after reveille to go run miles with the Physical Fitness Coordinator?
 
Old 03-07-2023, 08:24 AM
 
28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Reputation: 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
WHAT? Are you saying that people don't want to muster 15 minutes after reveille to go run miles with the Physical Fitness Coordinator?
Hard to believe, isn't it?
 
Old 03-07-2023, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Boston
20,099 posts, read 9,006,146 times
Reputation: 18747
We're become closer to a real war than we've been since Viet Nam. Can't blame these kids for not joining. Besides, they saw what happened when we left Afghanistan. We left their with our tails between our legs, totally unsupported. Do they want a job working for this present administration. No.
 
Old 03-07-2023, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Reputation: 18856
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
We're become closer to a real war than we've been since Viet Nam. Can't blame these kids for not joining. Besides, they saw what happened when we left Afghanistan. We left their with our tails between our legs, totally unsupported. Do they want a job working for this present administration. No.
Can't blame these kids????? You are talking about the country going down the tubes if we don't fight when the war comes to us. It is not like there is someplace else to go. Yeah, I can blame these kids alot! The thing is, as old as I am, I won't be around for long to see them suffer in the disaster they are causing for themselves.

You know what they say.....freedom isn't free..........and.......I never promised you a rose garden.

Further, how many votes are generated by having kin in the military, how much more care, how much more activism? It is one thing to say that the country ought to do this when one has no blood in that action......it is another thing when one does. If one has children, relatives, others who are up to serve, are they more likely to let the politicians do whatever they please? This is one of the down sides of the all volunteer force in that it so easy becomes someone else's fight and the politicians can then do as they please but when it is everyone's fight..................

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-07-2023 at 03:07 PM..
 
Old 03-07-2023, 08:35 PM
 
Location: SC
634 posts, read 327,160 times
Reputation: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
That’s crazy she went into a select STEM school in downtown Chicago where the vast majority are going to college. The school is nationally ranked and in the top 1% in math and English testing scores. Select a school but that school was ridiculous to gather generalizations about the recruiting challenges in America. How naive for the Sec Army to draw the conclusions that she’s quoted based on the environment she visited.

It’s likely no kids from that high school enlisted in the last 24 months, in any service.

PR stunt and it’s the wrong type of message towards actual youth interested in the military.
Agreed. Of course these kids would be aware of the military's many issues. "Educated" and "financially stable" aren't who the DoD typically chases or who typically seeks them out.
 
Old 03-08-2023, 07:45 AM
 
Location: South of Cakalaki
5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Reputation: 5163
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
We're become closer to a real war than we've been since Viet Nam. Can't blame these kids for not joining. Besides, they saw what happened when we left Afghanistan. We left their with our tails between our legs, totally unsupported. Do they want a job working for this present administration. No.
And how did we leave Vietnam?

Remember what happened to the Kurds after Desert Storm?

It somehow still amazes me the political blindness some are willing to tolerate to support their favorite brand. We, the US, have left people in a lurch all over the world.
 
Old 03-08-2023, 07:59 AM
 
28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Reputation: 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
And how did we leave Vietnam?

Remember what happened to the Kurds after Desert Storm?

It somehow still amazes me the political blindness some are willing to tolerate to support their favorite brand. We, the US, have left people in a lurch all over the world.
Or Syria, another abandonment of allies that military leadership was vocally bitter about...and that was the previous administration.
 
Old 03-08-2023, 08:48 AM
 
Location: NMB, SC
43,061 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Reputation: 34944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Can't blame these kids????? You are talking about the country going down the tubes if we don't fight when the war comes to us. It is not like there is someplace else to go. Yeah, I can blame these kids alot! The thing is, as old as I am, I won't be around for long to see them suffer in the disaster they are causing for themselves.

You know what they say.....freedom isn't free..........and.......I never promised you a rose garden.

Further, how many votes are generated by having kin in the military, how much more care, how much more activism? It is one thing to say that the country ought to do this when one has no blood in that action......it is another thing when one does. If one has children, relatives, others who are up to serve, are they more likely to let the politicians do whatever they please? This is one of the down sides of the all volunteer force in that it so easy becomes someone else's fight and the politicians can then do as they please but when it is everyone's fight..................
I see the US going out looking for war with all their public taunting of Russia, China, Saudi Arabia and now Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top