Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2023, 04:54 AM

20,128 posts, read 16,186,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Meeting military recruiting goals is mostly due to economics. When people graduating from high school can easily get jobs, why would they enlist in the military where they will make less money.

Potential military recruits are not thinking about any of the things listed above. When is the last time you talked to a high school senior who is considering enlisting in the military?
My neighbor is a recruiting commander. According to him, who ought to know, he’s not wrong. The “military are full of white supremacists” crashed black recruiting. The vaccine mandate hurt more than people realize when trying to recruit the sons of white conservatives and grandchildren of black families who still bristle from the Tuskegee experiments. The whole woke thing, including the absolutely disastrous ad aimed at recruiting gays & gender fluid individuals, have made the once easy recruitment of the Bubba Southern kids a difficult sell. The Afghan withdrawal disaster will take a long time to recover from. Add to that the fact that a staggeringly large number of young people are no longer able to pass medical, basic academic skills, or physical fitness tests, despite significantly lowering the standards, so they aren’t even part of the recruiting pool. Oh, and let’s not forget, schools now teach how awful our country is and that individual desires trump common good, instead of patriotic pride and duty.

The economics are no longer as big a part of the equation as it once was.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:20 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,103,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My neighbor is a recruiting commander. According to him, who ought to know, he’s not wrong. The “military are full of white supremacists” crashed black recruiting. The vaccine mandate hurt more than people realize when trying to recruit the sons of white conservatives and grandchildren of black families who still bristle from the Tuskegee experiments. The whole woke thing, including the absolutely disastrous ad aimed at recruiting gays & gender fluid individuals, have made the once easy recruitment of the Bubba Southern kids a difficult sell. The Afghan withdrawal disaster will take a long time to recover from. Add to that the fact that a staggeringly large number of young people are no longer able to pass medical, basic academic skills, or physical fitness tests, despite significantly lowering the standards, so they aren’t even part of the recruiting pool. Oh, and let’s not forget, schools now teach how awful our country is and that individual desires trump common good, instead of patriotic pride and duty.

AND there is a push to “un-glamorize” the military. Anger at the Oscars for TopGun2’s nominations.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...or/ar-AA18vBij

Don’t recall media hating on TopGun in the ‘80’s.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:18 AM

12,395 posts, read 8,176,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
AND there is a push to “un-glamorize” the military. Anger at the Oscars for TopGun2’s nominations.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...or/ar-AA18vBij

Don’t recall media hating on TopGun in the ‘80’s.
The 80's was an interesting time as the US society was just getting over the Vietnam era traumas. Just 4 years before Top Gun we had An Officer and a Gentleman where an aviation cadet, around Maverick's age if he went through flight training and got a F-14 was crying to his Drill Instructor please don't kick me out because I have nowhere else to go. Even as a recent college graduates Ensign Mayo and his class were losers going for the last resort.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:01 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,684,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

This conversation has repeated the same points over and over again since it was started last June. Everyone has their own opinions about why recruiting in down. The only fact that has been mentioned is that, "among young people, only about 23% are physically, mentally and morally qualified to serve without receiving some type of waiver." It should be pointed out that many in this 23% are planning to go to college.

Everything else that has been mentioned is someone's opinion of the situation. And the overwhelming majority of people expressing their opinion have not spoken to high school kids about these issues.

You stated, "The Afghan withdrawal disaster will take a long time to recover from." After the Afghan withdrawal, I thought it was a teach moment and spent a couple weeks teaching it to high school U.S History classes. They studied the background of the Afghan war starting with 9/11, watched videos of the withdrawal and made presentations. Without this instruction, the majority would have know nothing about Afghanistan. Even after two weeks on this topic, I was disappointed in their presentations where they were supposed to present an opinion on the U.S. involvement in Afghanistan. Most of them were not able to formulate an opinion. So please forgive me for being skeptical about the opinion that the Afghan withdrawal is impacting recruiting.

I hope you were being sarcastic when you stated, "schools now teach how awful our country is and that individual desires trump common good, instead of patriotic pride and duty." If there is a teacher pushing this agenda, they should be fired.

Old 03-12-2023, 09:54 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,710,564 times
Covid changed the country. Most can see that. Except for those who must use everything as a political point to make.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:14 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,355,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Probably not......nothing equals a Texas Aggie.
They’re fantastic. Just ask them, they’ll tell you

Old 03-13-2023, 01:27 PM

6,151 posts, read 3,372,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Covid changed the country. Most can see that. Except for those who must use everything as a political point to make.
The way we handled Covid was political, and continues to be political to this day. Forcing people to lockdown, forcing people to get the vaccine, and forcing people to wear the mask was nothing more than virtue signaling for the left. Since the military followed all of these left wing virtue signals, recruiting has taken a hit for it.

CRT and DEI is nothing more than left wing virtue signaling, and guess what? The military has dabbled in that, too.

Finally, the way we just cut tail out of Afghanistan, left materiel, the absolute chaos similar to 1975 Saigon, the 13 dead for no reason, the way they identified the imminent suicide bomber about to detonate, but were not allowed to engage, has left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths.

It’s gonna take time, and it’s gonna take a change in leadership and policy for things to get better as far as recruiting.

You, and many others on here, surely believe what I just posted. But since your side is in power right now, and are pushing this agenda, you have to act like it’s anything but all of this.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:07 PM

562 posts, read 341,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
The way we handled Covid was political, and continues to be political to this day. Forcing people to lockdown, forcing people to get the vaccine, and forcing people to wear the mask was nothing more than virtue signaling for the left. Since the military followed all of these left wing virtue signals, recruiting has taken a hit for it.

CRT and DEI is nothing more than left wing virtue signaling, and guess what? The military has dabbled in that, too.

Finally, the way we just cut tail out of Afghanistan, left materiel, the absolute chaos similar to 1975 Saigon, the 13 dead for no reason, the way they identified the imminent suicide bomber about to detonate, but were not allowed to engage, has left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths.

It’s gonna take time, and it’s gonna take a change in leadership and policy for things to get better as far as recruiting.

You, and many others on here, surely believe what I just posted. But since your side is in power right now, and are pushing this agenda, you have to act like it’s anything but all of this.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:15 PM

562 posts, read 341,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
The Trump era met recruiting goals. Biden’s administration has not met theirs. Why?

Because of diversity, equity, and inclusion that are turnoffs for most people.
Because of Covid policy, which has turned out to be almost 100% wrong.
Because of the way they surrendered in Afghanistan.
Also, goading the Russians into attacking Ukraine and then sending hundreds of billions of dollars to arm the Ukrainians while many bases (just to name one, Fort Bragg) deteriorate due to poor infrastructure, definitely doesn’t help recruiting. Join the Army, live in condemned barracks!

The only way to fix this problem is to get rid of the current leadership and change policy. That’s the only way.
At least bother to look up the facts. Recruiting was an issue under Trump as well, but don’t let facts get in the way of your narrative. The Recruitment Problem the Military Doesn’t Want to Talk About

Old 03-13-2023, 05:51 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,033,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The 80's was an interesting time as the US society was just getting over the Vietnam era traumas. Just 4 years before Top Gun we had An Officer and a Gentleman where an aviation cadet, around Maverick's age if he went through flight training and got a F-14 was crying to his Drill Instructor please don't kick me out because I have nowhere else to go. Even as a recent college graduates Ensign Mayo and his class were losers going for the last resort.
In reality, though, one must wonder if movies promote recruitment especially when it gets back to the public that it isn't like at all. Take the name "Maverick"......I was told in reality you don't pick the name, others pick the name for you and usually because you've done something not that great. One wonders just what it was that got the infamous "Maybelline" her name.

As far as Mayo's (that was Gere's character, yes?) being losers to the last resort, I don't know because in that time, met a lot of OCS and PLC types and certainly didn't seem them as losers......and they weren't even pilots. There were programs like that and the nuclear programs where you could become an officer without having to run around for years with your hands above your head, yelling stupid things their post said (3 guesses where I was).

We were told that those of us in such long term programs had the advantage that we weren't being so quickly shoved into the military life but had already been living it for a number of years at our commissioning................sort of. There is a catch that may not be apparent to the outside and that is when you come from a State or otherwise militia type of school, not everything you do may be the same as the Federal system. Perhaps.

Of course, these days, who knows what such schools are like. They are certainly different from the past but I am not going to dwelve into that much, say like the time when USMMA maintained its watch schedule during the holiday break of leave and if you missed your day of watch, it was a class A offence, but one wonders how it is in the current climate.

Finally, "I've got nowhere else to go,", I wonder about the elements of the human spirit to be able to find options, like what Kirk said in ST:TOS "A Private Little War" "War isn't the best kind of life...but it is life.", to those who give up early on finding options..........and those who believe there are still options despite the ship just about having have had it (that is, in reflection of John Paul Jones' famous words...."Well, you better start! The ship has just about had it!").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues