Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2023, 06:51 PM

5,726 posts, read 4,715,104 times

Advertisements

I joined the Army because I was 25 and heading nowhere at a million miles an hour.

Joining the military was the smartest thing I ever did. But it wasn’t something heroic. I did it to save my life. I’ve had civilians tell me that people serve for country. But as a leader for 22 years, there were so many reasons people joined. Heck, I had a practicing psychologist join up as a E-4 because he wanted a challenge.

Trying to lay this at the feet of the President is foolish.

*Just as a side note to someone who continues to make outlandish statements, I voted for a Republican in every Presidential election. Except the last two. I went Libertarian. I just wonder what happened to the GWB Republicans.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:47 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I joined the Army because I was 25 and heading nowhere at a million miles an hour.

Joining the military was the smartest thing I ever did. But it wasn’t something heroic. I did it to save my life. I’ve had civilians tell me that people serve for country. But as a leader for 22 years, there were so many reasons people joined. Heck, I had a practicing psychologist join up as a E-4 because he wanted a challenge.

Trying to lay this at the feet of the President is foolish.

*Just as a side note to someone who continues to make outlandish statements, I voted for a Republican in every Presidential election. Except the last two. I went Libertarian. I just wonder what happened to the GWB Republicans.
I have apparently run out of reps to give you.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:38 PM

12,396 posts, read 8,183,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In reality, though, one must wonder if movies promote recruitment especially when it gets back to the public that it isn't like at all. Take the name "Maverick"......I was told in reality you don't pick the name, others pick the name for you and usually because you've done something not that great. One wonders just what it was that got the infamous "Maybelline" her name.

As far as Mayo's (that was Gere's character, yes?) being losers to the last resort, I don't know because in that time, met a lot of OCS and PLC types and certainly didn't seem them as losers......and they weren't even pilots. There were programs like that and the nuclear programs where you could become an officer without having to run around for years with your hands above your head, yelling stupid things their post said (3 guesses where I was).

We were told that those of us in such long term programs had the advantage that we weren't being so quickly shoved into the military life but had already been living it for a number of years at our commissioning................sort of. There is a catch that may not be apparent to the outside and that is when you come from a State or otherwise militia type of school, not everything you do may be the same as the Federal system. Perhaps.

Of course, these days, who knows what such schools are like. They are certainly different from the past but I am not going to dwelve into that much, say like the time when USMMA maintained its watch schedule during the holiday break of leave and if you missed your day of watch, it was a class A offence, but one wonders how it is in the current climate.

Finally, "I've got nowhere else to go,", I wonder about the elements of the human spirit to be able to find options, like what Kirk said in ST:TOS "A Private Little War" "War isn't the best kind of life...but it is life.", to those who give up early on finding options..........and those who believe there are still options despite the ship just about having have had it (that is, in reflection of John Paul Jones' famous words...."Well, you better start! The ship has just about had it!").
But of course we are not talking reality but at how our artist portrayed reality. Thus the relative standing of the profession in the general culture as written in the late 70s and released in the early 1980s. That Mayo and the other cadets are warned about his love interest the town girls whose body count is portrayed as at least one young gentleman for every class cycle, his crying and the others of his class seeing little future if the Navy didn't work out speaks as many volumes as the cool call signs and the aeronautical engineer girlfriend who the Pentagon listens to of 4 years later in Top Gun

Old 03-13-2023, 11:04 PM

6,159 posts, read 3,380,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
At least bother to look up the facts. Recruiting was an issue under Trump as well, but don’t let facts get in the way of your narrative. The Recruitment Problem the Military Doesn’t Want to Talk About
In FY2020, the services met their active duty goals. Period.

For example, The Army recruited 61,251 and were at 100%.

This is found on the US Army official website.

The media, no matter which side of the aisle they cheer for, cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

It’s just funny how in 2020, before Afghanistan, before Covid, and before CRT/DEI, the goal was met.

Now, everyone is all of a sudden too fat and unhealthy, too drugged up, and into illegal activities to serve?

Old 03-14-2023, 06:36 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,696,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
In FY2020, the services met their active duty goals. Period.

For example, The Army recruited 61,251 and were at 100%.

This is found on the US Army official website.

The media, no matter which side of the aisle they cheer for, cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

It’s just funny how in 2020, before Afghanistan, before Covid, and before CRT/DEI, the goal was met.

Now, everyone is all of a sudden too fat and unhealthy, too drugged up, and into illegal activities to serve?
It’s funny how when the private sector was forced to raise wages and provide better benefits to attract employees that people who might otherwise go to the military decided that a private sector job was more appealing. If you can easily get a job that pays $20+ hour close to home, why on earth would you go into the military?

Old 03-14-2023, 09:15 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,042,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It’s funny how when the private sector was forced to raise wages and provide better benefits to attract employees that people who might otherwise go to the military decided that a private sector job was more appealing. If you can easily get a job that pays $20+ hour close to home, why on earth would you go into the military?
Because afterwards, being in the military carries more prestige than saying you shoveled fries at Micky Ds?

Seriously, which job will enable you to bring more to the next job, to sell yourself better?

Long ago but soon after the Great War (ie, WW I), my Grandfather was outside the diner where he worked, smoking a stogie, thinking what a great day it had been, of how good things were ........ and then, it hit him. Were things ever going to be better? Realizing that, he took the military opportunities that had been offered to him.

Old 03-15-2023, 05:01 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,696,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Because afterwards, being in the military carries more prestige than saying you shoveled fries at Micky Ds?

Seriously, which job will enable you to bring more to the next job, to sell yourself better?

Long ago but soon after the Great War (ie, WW I), my Grandfather was outside the diner where he worked, smoking a stogie, thinking what a great day it had been, of how good things were ........ and then, it hit him. Were things ever going to be better? Realizing that, he took the military opportunities that had been offered to him.
Which job is more likely to result in long-term physical and mental health problems? Not many people are getting PTSD from shoveling fries at McDonald’s. If you don’t like it, you can easily leave and get a new job at any time you want. That’s not the case in the military.

Old 03-15-2023, 05:38 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Which job is more likely to result in long-term physical and mental health problems? Not many people are getting PTSD from shoveling fries at McDonald’s. If you don’t like it, you can easily leave and get a new job at any time you want.
And those are primary job considerations for Gen Z.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:02 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,106,966 times
Quote:
Which job is more likely to result in long-term physical and mental health problems? Not many people are getting PTSD from shoveling fries at McDonald’s. If you don’t like it, you can easily leave and get a new job at any time you want. That’s not the case in the military.
So a poor economy normally drives recruits into the arms of the military but now a poor economy with surging inflation is not benefiting the military. Well a 5% pay raise won’t solve that issue.

Since Covid handouts and printing money continues at record pace, which is surging inflation and national debt, the “pay offset” will need to be around a 20% raise for military.

But the pay raises should be the ones that President Bush pushed in early 2000’s. TARGETED pay raises which had senior enlisted get the highest pay increases. This time around, target certain ranks that need those increases, to increase that incentive.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:28 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,042,164 times
Quote:
Practically any job when you come down to it because that is life, none of us are getting out of here alive.

Now, in the Crone of my life time, I am a Type II, I am not Kara anymore, who knows what I have inflected on this body in all of those decades of being a hard charging, heavy drinking "or something" product of a military style life? Granted, I was not a kicking in doors shock trooper, but what did I do to my body with ambition pushing to say "I am the Best!", of being rough and tumble and slamming into the deck, of the shock of falling only to be brought to a sudden stop by a rappelling rope, what was all that hormone pumping doing when I was feeding off the carbon dioxide of fear, what shredding of the bones did I do by shooting heavy calibers like those found on the 1911 and M14?..................

.............................and looking back on it all, of where I am physically now, would I say, "No, thanks, I'd rather work nine to five and have no excitement in my life."............. NOT A CHANCE!

Now, admittedly, my heavy drinking probably started off by being in the military, if not from the stress (though being a Provost Marshal can do it) then from being surrounded in that kind of environment but as time went on, maybe not. That is, perhaps I was hooked, perhaps I was positive feedback circuit locked into "I am a GOD!".

And, admittedly, there were times in the service when things weren't that rosy for me. I remember those beaten down times when the voice inside of me said, "You will do the job assigned to you with enthusiasm?"
Me-Enthusiasm? No.
"Then willingly?"
Me......of course.

For it was the job I signed up for, a job I would carry through on.

But like I said, what does one bring to the next job? What does the employer have to tell them this is a worthy investment? Is this applicant the kind of person who looks out for others or only for themselves? Is this the kind of person who will be when the going gets tough, the tough gets going.......or will be going out the door leaving them with the bag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues