Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2023, 09:53 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,098,570 times

Advertisements

Inside this article is statistics that help explain the woes. The percentage drop in physical able to be qualified point to a 5% drop yet still in the 20’s percentiles. Those potential recruits concerned with the politicization of the military and focusing on white extremism or using different pronouns training is part of those concerns.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...her-heavy-lift

Both sides are presented here. Lots of pushback from the senior enlisted leaders on what is being said about military recruiting. In he FY24 budget, the requested Army force strength is somehow still only 452,000, which is smaller than the Army has been in decades.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:05 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I had hoped this was all over with the election of President Obama. Those of the all volunteer era really don't care what older folks did to avoid conscription or the unit they volunteered for to make infantry service in Vietnam less likely.
My issue wasn't so much that he avoided the Vietnam War. Lots of people avoided the war any way they could.

My issue was his attitude and diminishing comments about veterans of that war.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:19 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,677,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My issue wasn't so much that he avoided the Vietnam War. Lots of people avoided the war any way they could.

My issue was his attitude and diminishing comments about veterans of that war.
I'm still shocked that people voted for Trump after the comments he made about John McCain.

Old 03-17-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm still shocked that people voted for Trump after the comments he made about John McCain.
How is this related to the title of the thread on the current recruiting crisis?

Old 03-17-2023, 02:15 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,271,318 times
Low unemployment and current generations seeing nothing but decades of pointless losing wars will do that.

Old 03-17-2023, 02:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,019,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
How is this related to the title of the thread on the current recruiting crisis?
EXACTLY! A lot of these comments seem to come up but....wrong thread, wrong forum.

For me to join up, it didn't matter who was in the White House, that condition was not in the family contract. What was in that contract was to be ready to answer if the call went out.

Old 03-17-2023, 04:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,677,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
EXACTLY! A lot of these comments seem to come up but....wrong thread, wrong forum.

For me to join up, it didn't matter who was in the White House, that condition was not in the family contract. What was in that contract was to be ready to answer if the call went out.
It didn't matter to me that Jimmy Carter was in the White House. Some people, however, seem to think that recruiting is down because Biden is in the White House.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:52 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,362,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
It didn't matter to me that Jimmy Carter was in the White House. Some people, however, seem to think that recruiting is down because Biden is in the White House.
Jimmy Carter was infinitely more respected than Biden is now.

Jimmy Carter graduated from the US Naval Academy and served in the US Navy, so I sure hope you didn’t care that Carter was in the White House, because he is a great man, and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t care for his politics.

I did find it somewhat odd initially that the troops liked Trump so much, because they surely should’ve been turned off by his fake injury that kept him out of serving. But the troops liked Obama quite a bit too, so it really has nothing to do with which party the President comes from, or his background getting to the White House. I never voted for Obama, but I did go to a couple of his speeches at military bases while I was still active duty. I have to admit, he was really inspiring. He was definitely a leader.

So what is Biden’s problem?

It has to do with policy, it has to do with a recent withdrawal/surrender, and it has to do with the man himself, who is just a really old guy who mumbles and stumbles around. He is not a leader, not even close, and I suspect that many people who are on the fence about serving listen to him speak, listen to the policies he promotes, and they decide I want no part of this.

I predict that recruiting will rebound after he leaves office, assuming that a real leader takes his place, which certainly isn’t a given.

Old 03-18-2023, 06:38 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Jimmy Carter was infinitely more respected than Biden is now.

Jimmy Carter graduated from the US Naval Academy and served in the US Navy, so I sure hope you didn’t care that Carter was in the White House, because he is a great man, and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t care for his politics.

I did find it somewhat odd initially that the troops liked Trump so much, because they surely should’ve been turned off by his fake injury that kept him out of serving. But the troops liked Obama quite a bit too, so it really has nothing to do with which party the President comes from, or his background getting to the White House. I never voted for Obama, but I did go to a couple of his speeches at military bases while I was still active duty. I have to admit, he was really inspiring. He was definitely a leader.

So what is Biden’s problem?

It has to do with policy, it has to do with a recent withdrawal/surrender, and it has to do with the man himself, who is just a really old guy who mumbles and stumbles around. He is not a leader, not even close, and I suspect that many people who are on the fence about serving listen to him speak, listen to the policies he promotes, and they decide I want no part of this.

I predict that recruiting will rebound after he leaves office, assuming that a real leader takes his place, which certainly isn’t a given.
You're talking about your feelings.

You're not talking about Generation Z.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You're talking about your feelings.

You're not talking about Generation Z.
You can ignore the messenger but not the message.

Insightful article that explains why saying the military needs to purge white supremacy, more equity training and record breaking sexual assaults are “tainting” the military’s image thus less attractive to potential recruits.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...orale-n1677914

As military families discuss with their sons/daughters the recent changes in the military (80+% of recruits have family that was in the military), the discussion includes who is making these changes. This is in addition to the Afghanistan surrender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues