Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2023, 10:00 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Jimmy Carter was infinitely more respected than Biden is now.

Jimmy Carter graduated from the US Naval Academy and served in the US Navy, so I sure hope you didn’t care that Carter was in the White House, because he is a great man, and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t care for his politics.

I did find it somewhat odd initially that the troops liked Trump so much, because they surely should’ve been turned off by his fake injury that kept him out of serving. But the troops liked Obama quite a bit too, so it really has nothing to do with which party the President comes from, or his background getting to the White House. I never voted for Obama, but I did go to a couple of his speeches at military bases while I was still active duty. I have to admit, he was really inspiring. He was definitely a leader.

So what is Biden’s problem?

It has to do with policy, it has to do with a recent withdrawal/surrender, and it has to do with the man himself, who is just a really old guy who mumbles and stumbles around. He is not a leader, not even close, and I suspect that many people who are on the fence about serving listen to him speak, listen to the policies he promotes, and they decide I want no part of this.

I predict that recruiting will rebound after he leaves office, assuming that a real leader takes his place, which certainly isn’t a given.
Since this country went to an all volunteer force in 1973, I don't think recruiting has been affected by the President in office. If it did, recruiting would've gone down under Trump.

BTW, I supported Jimmy Carter throughout his Presidency, but it was obvious starting in 1978 that he would not be reelected. Keep in mind that the country was not as polarized as it is today. Carter's ratings dropped because of stagflation, the oil crisis, and the hostage situation. You had to experience the oil crisis during the summer of 1979 to understand the effect on Carter's approval ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You're talking about your feelings.

You're not talking about Generation Z.
Great point!

Old 03-18-2023, 10:21 AM

6,139 posts, read 3,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You're talking about your feelings.

You're not talking about Generation Z.
That seems to be your feelings.

Gen Z starts in 1997, meaning that the recruiting class of 2020, which would include Gen Z people born 1997-2002, (18-23 year olds), met the Armed Forces recruiting goal that year under the last administration.

They did not met their goals last year. Why? I’ve already mentioned why numerous times.

The problem is that your theory is not backed up by actual facts.

No matter what you post, it will not change these two facts:

2020- goals met
2022- goals not met

Old 03-18-2023, 11:00 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,096,362 times
During recent visit to PX, there was a rack with unit coins with Biden’s face and the VP. No idea if anyone was buying these but someone turned all the Biden coins backwards. Certainly childish but you didn’t see these open examples against Trump. Even at the gas pumps (on base), you see the fjb stickers. The career military, 5-15 years of service, don’t like Biden and they don’t like Biden more than any metric compared to Trump.

It is these career service members who voice their opinions on what they think of Biden to their cousins, nephews, nieces and friends who may be considering enlisting. Word of mouth is how most of the recruits gain momentum to enlist. Recruiting knows this is fact too but it appears to be foreign concept to some in this thread.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:26 PM

19,800 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Low unemployment and current generations seeing nothing but decades of pointless losing wars will do that.
Bingo. My son graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and German. He was heavily recruited upon. He feels a sense of duty but quite frankly he was also recruited by top notch Universities for PhD programs.

Brighter opportunities coupled with recent history in the Middle East he basically said screw it. He is working on projects with a national lab tied to DoD, so he feels why go into the military.

Old 03-18-2023, 04:26 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Bingo. My son graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and German. He was heavily recruited upon. He feels a sense of duty but quite frankly he was also recruited by top notch Universities for PhD programs.

Brighter opportunities coupled with recent history in the Middle East he basically said screw it. He is working on projects with a national lab tied to DoD, so he feels why go into the military.
Well, when he has to learn Mandarian, too, he will have his answer.

Keep in mind, we are talking about defence of the country and if no one does it, if they believe there are better reasons than that for going into the military......oh well. This is one of the items I had against President Obama when he was talking about his age and about being in the military. How he didn't see a purpose and did not.

So, two things. First, when the President says that to the people, well, is it any wonder of the mess we are in now? Secondly, for a President to say that openly.....should he be leading the country at that point? There are just certain truths one should keep to themselves.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-18-2023 at 05:40 PM..

Old 03-18-2023, 07:10 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, when he has to learn Mandarian, too, he will have his answer.

Keep in mind, we are talking about defence of the country and if no one does it, if they believe there are better reasons than that for going into the military......oh well. This is one of the items I had against President Obama when he was talking about his age and about being in the military. How he didn't see a purpose and did not.

So, two things. First, when the President says that to the people, well, is it any wonder of the mess we are in now? Secondly, for a President to say that openly.....should he be leading the country at that point? There are just certain truths one should keep to themselves.
To be realistic our military missions are more about offense on other countries, defense of this country not so much. Our heavily armed ‘militia’ is all the deterrent we really need for an invasion.

Old 03-18-2023, 07:17 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
To be realistic our military missions are more about offense on other countries, defense of this country not so much. Our heavily armed ‘militia’ is all the deterrent we really need for an invasion.
In case it has missed your study of history, the US is a maritime nation. The US Civil War, WW II, the oil embargos, take your choice. If nothing is getting to our ports, we starve!

Why do you think a naval blockade is an act of war? One's a fool if they think all they need to do is stop people from stepping on the borders......the War of 1812 proved that when the militia war boats in harbor were just pushed aside by the Brits.

The other thing is that defensive wars SUCK! Even if you win, it's your land that gets torn up.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-18-2023 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-19-2023, 06:27 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,096,362 times
Quote:
Guess the nation-building “mission” is forgotten. Formerly known as “operations other than war”. For Army, this is has been a large chunk of deployments since…. .. .. Long time.

Old 03-19-2023, 10:23 AM

561 posts, read 339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
That seems to be your feelings.

No matter what you post, it will not change these two facts:

2020- goals met
2022- goals not met
Your question has been answered many times over with different opinions and perspectives. We are all just hypothesizing as none of us have concrete answers. The world and most certainly the labor markets went through upheaval in 2020. The labor markets are still struggling to find millions of lost workers who never came back post Covid, but the only plausible explanation to you for the military not being able to find those same individuals is Biden and wokeness, the go to argument used for everything by a certain segment these days. You aren’t here for an intelligent discussion.

Old 03-19-2023, 10:54 AM

6,139 posts, read 3,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
Your question has been answered many times over with different opinions and perspectives. We are all just hypothesizing as none of us have concrete answers. The world and most certainly the labor markets went through upheaval in 2020. The labor markets are still struggling to find millions of lost workers who never came back post Covid, but the only plausible explanation to you for the military not being able to find those same individuals is Biden and wokeness, the go to argument used for everything by a certain segment these days. You aren’t here for an intelligent discussion.
No, you just don’t like it when people refuse to bend a knee to the side that you cheer for. You don’t like it when people question policy that you like. I get it, you want more Trans and gay people in uniform, more CRT taught, more DEI programs.

My premise is that those social programs don’t make the US military stronger and that they are very unpopular and it’s one of the causes for the lag in recruitment.

We need to get back to the profession of arms and stop the social experimentation. That seems like an intelligent thought to me.

Your response, that it’s Covid, without mentioning the left’s vaccine policy which drove many, many recruits away, doesn’t seem like an intelligent response to me. I’m an old guy, and I got the vaccine. But if I was 19 years old, with my whole life ahead of me, and a family yet to build, there is no way I would’ve gotten the vaccine, which would mean I wouldn’t have joined the military these past couple years.

Austin rescinded that policy in Jan 2023, so let’s see if that helps recruiting this year. The damage was already done, so it might take awhile to recover.

What other poor policies should they tackle next to help recruiting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues