Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2023, 12:39 PM

560 posts, read 335,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
No, you just don’t like it when people refuse to bend a knee to the side that you cheer for. You don’t like it when people question policy that you like. I get it, you want more Trans and gay people in uniform, more CRT taught, more DEI programs.

My premise is that those social programs don’t make the US military stronger and that they are very unpopular and it’s one of the causes for the lag in recruitment.

We need to get back to the profession of arms and stop the social experimentation. That seems like an intelligent thought to me.

Your response, that it’s Covid, without mentioning the left’s vaccine policy which drove many, many recruits away, doesn’t seem like an intelligent response to me. I’m an old guy, and I got the vaccine. But if I was 19 years old, with my whole life ahead of me, and a family yet to build, there is no way I would’ve gotten the vaccine, which would mean I wouldn’t have joined the military these past couple years.

Austin rescinded that policy in Jan 2023, so let’s see if that helps recruiting this year. The damage was already done, so it might take awhile to recover.

What other poor policies should they tackle next to help recruiting?
I don't think you could have supported my point any better. Trans, CRT, DEI, vaccines...It's a prime time Fox News list of culture war talking points, not intelligent discussion. Crazy how all those anti-vaxxers were fighting to stay in the 'woke' military. That same 'woke' military is having no problem retaining servicemembers either.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:34 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You're talking about your feelings.

You're not talking about Generation Z.
I’m just going to have to do a better job of spreading rep, but just know you earned it.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:49 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Simply put, there are those posters that are providing reasons for underperforming recruiting numbers in the military and those that deny all the reasons, while also blaming a generation.

Facts are that recruiting is dismal and well under all the benchmarks. Since some on this thread are blaming the economy, lazy generation and even biased feelings, guess recruiting is in the tank for another ten years.
No hope of the economy getting better before 2024, and motivating a generation is a big challenge.

Might as well close this merry-go-round thread.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:54 AM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Simply put, there are those posters that are providing reasons for underperforming recruiting numbers in the military and those that deny all the reasons, while also blaming a generation.

Facts are that recruiting is dismal and well under all the benchmarks. Since some on this thread are blaming the economy, lazy generation and even biased feelings, guess recruiting is in the tank for another ten years.
No hope of the economy getting better before 2024, and motivating a generation is a big challenge.

Might as well close this merry-go-round thread.
Recruiting goes up in a bad economy with high unemployment. We have very low unemployment right now.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Recruiting goes up in a bad economy with high unemployment. We have very low unemployment right now.
We have the poor economy. Now we’ll have to wait for the unemployment to surge.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Do we? It's definitely in a weird state not necessarily bad.

Last edited by notnamed; 03-20-2023 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-20-2023, 02:44 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
What poor economy? We have record low unemployment and 6% inflation? That's hardly the stuff of the late 70's.

If somebody wants a good paying job they can get one. The military doesn't really offer any benefit right now. I've been headhunted more in the past 36 months than over my entire almost 40 year career. I could make $50K more p/yr or more if I was willing to uproot and move 4-5 hours west. I'm not inclined to move.

More kids in highschool (here) are opting for the trades than the military- they can make way more. Way more. I've been involved in Scouting for many years, and back in the 90's about 25% of kids in the troops I knew went into the military. Now? I don't know of ONE that has gone that direction in at least 10 years.

Old 03-20-2023, 03:15 PM

Yeah military pay is going to need a significant bump to compete in this environment.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
What poor economy? We have record low unemployment and 6% inflation? That's hardly the stuff of the late 70's.

If somebody wants a good paying job they can get one. The military doesn't really offer any benefit right now. I've been headhunted more in the past 36 months than over my entire almost 40 year career. I could make $50K more p/yr or more if I was willing to uproot and move 4-5 hours west. I'm not inclined to move.

More kids in highschool (here) are opting for the trades than the military- they can make way more. Way more. I've been involved in Scouting for many years, and back in the 90's about 25% of kids in the troops I knew went into the military. Now? I don't know of ONE that has gone that direction in at least 10 years.
The inflation is much higher than 6% for real goods. Mortgage rates are the highest in 15 years, labor non participation rates are at record levels, bankruptcies are surging, credit card debt has now exceeded over a trillion dollars and both auto loans and mortgage defaults are on a steep climb. Living in a wealthy bubble would suggest “what economy” as they see no drop in their eating-out budget, for the rich.

Old 03-25-2023, 07:09 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
And just as the Be All You Can Be campaign for the Army begins actor Jonathan Majors gets arrested for domestic violence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues