Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2023, 06:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The Heritage Foundation is a right wing think tank. I don't regard any report on any subject from them as either authoritative or independent. Reading the report its obvious that it is ideologically driven. The last section where they criticize mandating the vaccines for Covid 19 and "not being willingly to issue many exemptions" told me all I needed to know. Whether the vaccine prevents the spread of disease in large numbers or not it does lessen the impact of the disease on those who get it. This is clearly of major importance in guaranteeing readiness of our military forces. The report is just crap.
Correction: The Heritage Foundation is an extreme right wing think tank. I'm on their e-mail list and their claims when they are begging for donations are beyond belief.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:50 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,106,966 times
Default Now we blame the recruiters

This month it’s time to blame the recruiters for failing to get enough youngsters to sign up for military.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/t...nnel-shortage/

The plans include extending the training for recruiters by two more weeks. Skills such as negotiating will be part of this new found curriculum. Common sense approach the General is quoted in the article.

If the brighter days of the military, most NCOs ran fast from recruiting duty. Now they must sprint! Who would sign up for this thankless assignment?

Old 04-04-2023, 03:13 AM

27,234 posts, read 13,527,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
This year the Army is below last year’s record low recruiting shortfall. This is even after the Army requested to cut end strength by 20,000 Army soldiers, down to only 450,000. Just published last week. Report gives reasons and highlights that the unhealthy youth and low unemployment have not stopped successful recruiting efforts in the past.

The delta identified in polling here is over politicization of senior leaders and the programs they put into place.

Funding for the equity, chasing extremism, drag shows, lowering of promotion requirements to incorporate diversity, and lowering physical fitness standards are all the new problem areas. Surprisingly the sexual assaults and suicides continue to rise despite the pouring of millions of dollars.

https://www.heritage.org/defense/rep...-and-readiness

Most impacted are the combat arms career fields, which are the most significantly understaffed in the Army.
I think like most armed forces, the US will be looking at new technology and force multipliers in order to make up for some of the recruitment issues.

As for recruitment, I would personally rather have a smaller force full of the right people with the right training, and the right equipment rather than lower standards in order to just make up numbers.

If you want to just make up numbers then the reservists or even conscripts can do that, which is what the Russians have done to disastrous effect in Ukraine.

Old 04-04-2023, 03:25 AM

5,726 posts, read 4,715,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Of course you don’t. Stick with Rand and the dozens of other left wing think tanks.
Disagreement with far right propaganda does not mean one agrees with far left propaganda. That whole comparative model ends for most people in junior high.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Disagreement with far right propaganda does not mean one agrees with far left propaganda. That whole comparative model ends for most people in junior high.
You’re trying to create an illusion that recruiting is just fine, because it’s easier to bash the publication than the facts. You’ve replied now in a couple posts that the recruiting problem is the economy, and when the economy is good, recurring falls. Guess banks failing is an indicator of a good economy. You can shoot the messenger but not the facts.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:29 AM

5,726 posts, read 4,715,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
You’re trying to create an illusion that recruiting is just fine, because it’s easier to bash the publication than the facts. You’ve replied now in a couple posts that the recruiting problem is the economy, and when the economy is good, recurring falls. Guess banks failing is an indicator of a good economy. You can shoot the messenger but not the facts.
I’m not trying to create anything. You’re using far right talking points to prop up a made up hypothesis. Provide factual evidence versus “the usual suspects” from your chosen media. Next thing, you’ll be trying to foist Fox News on us.

Banks failing is a direct reflection of the economy. Banks are holding lower interest bonds while bond rates go up. This is caused by rising interest rates. More banks will fail in the future due to to an oversold commercial real estate market. You could learn all these things if you read a moderately conservative paper, like the WSJ. Turn off Fox and see the light.

Finally, I don’t deny the the way the military pushes diversity could have some impact on recruiting. But, without any date whatsoever, it’s impossible to say whether it is 1% or 50%. And neither of us can prove it. The difference between us is simple, I want proof and you continue with supposition.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
I’m not trying to create anything. You’re using far right talking points to prop up a made up hypothesis. Provide factual evidence versus “the usual suspects” from your chosen media. Next thing, you’ll be trying to foist Fox News on us.

Banks failing is a direct reflection of the economy. Banks are holding lower interest bonds while bond rates go up. This is caused by rising interest rates. More banks will fail in the future due to to an oversold commercial real estate market. You could learn all these things if you read a moderately conservative paper, like the WSJ. Turn off Fox and see the light.

Finally, I don’t deny the the way the military pushes diversity could have some impact on recruiting. But, without any date whatsoever, it’s impossible to say whether it is 1% or 50%. And neither of us can prove it. The difference between us is simple, I want proof and you continue with supposition.
You make too much sense!

Old 04-04-2023, 08:57 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I think like most armed forces, the US will be looking at new technology and force multipliers in order to make up for some of the recruitment issues.
"Force multiplier" has been a DoD mantra for 40 or 50 years.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:00 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
And the people who are in position to have that data...haven't come to those conclusions.

Old 04-04-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And the people who are in position to have that data...haven't come to those conclusions.
The forward in that report was written by a Congressman. Surely he’s getting the real scoop. He drew the same conclusions as in the report. Is a sitting US Congressman in a position or does it depend on his political party?

Trying to determine how many recruits are turned off by the military’s increase in diversity, equity and inclusion training is impossible. Asking for a percentage can be assessed how again? Where would these “former potential recruits” be found and then sampled? It’s similar to reducing fossil fuels by 2% and trying to measure the impact on global warming.

So it’s the easier position to take and say “diversity, equity and inclusion training has no measurable effect in readiness” (or recruiting)….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues