Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-12-2023, 04:32 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
27,154 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Reputation: 19448

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Body fat percentage is not the same as BMI. BMI is an estimate of body fat, but does not take into consideration how muscular a person is. Very few NFL players have BMI's under 26.
I think the more worrying issue relates to obese and fitness levels in relation to the wider population, and the lowering of recruitment criteria merely reflects this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Mail (7th April 2023)

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that obesity is a scourge on American youth and is 'impacting national security.'

It says one out of every three young adults aged 17 – 24 are too heavy to serve in the military.

'Among the young adults who meet weight requirements, only 3 in 4 report physical activity levels that prepare them for challenges in basic training,' it said.

Consequently, only 2 in 5 young adults are both weight-eligible and adequately active. In 2018 the latest figures showed that 71 percent of young people would not be able to join the military if they wanted to.

Retired U.S. Army Lieutenant General, Mark Hertling said: 'The military has experienced increasing difficulty in recruiting soldiers as a result of physical inactivity, obesity, and malnutrition among our nation's youth. Not addressing these issues now will impact our future national security.'

Top Gut: US Air Force is loosening recruits' body fat requirements to 26% BMI for men and 36% for women to try to boost recruitment (despite growing military fitness crisis) - Daily Mail (7th April 2023)

 
Old 04-12-2023, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
5,047 posts, read 6,346,266 times
Reputation: 7204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've seen the list. It floated around the Internet about six or seven years ago. I was trying to locate it again, but I haven't been able to find it.

The list is bogus, however.

First, it's not a list of 200 senior officers who were fired by Obama.

It's a list of 200 service members, including junior officers and even a few enlisted men who retired during Obama's administration, supposedly by Obama's order.

Of course, anyone who knows how the military works with presidential administrations would know that sergeants, captains, majors, and even most colonels don't wield enough authority to have done anything that would earn the president's personal ire, unless they dumped coffee in his lap or something that immediately in his presence.

They may very well have disliked Obama and retired in ire. Fine. But retirement is a voluntary action to claim a reward. Once you go over 20, you're just in it for the laughs. When it's no longer fun...put in those papers.

That's not a big deal.
I think I found at least an allusion to it:

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...rged-by-obama/

It has the suspiciously specific numbers of 197 and 9 in the link, and if you read it, it’s grade-A horse manure.

WK91: if there is a list, with names, of the 9 Generals and 200 others you referenced, can you please provide it? Saying we can ‘look it up’ is not accurate and isn’t particularly convincing. It smacks of you realizing you actually don’t have any evidence and are trying to backpedal. I think you’ve been hoodwinked by the right wing echo chamber on this one, but if there was a purge, I’d love to research it more.
 
Old 04-13-2023, 12:50 PM
 
Location: South of Cakalaki
5,716 posts, read 4,686,741 times
Reputation: 5163
We’re forgetting that recruiting is in the tank!

In the tank I tell ya!!!
 
Old 04-13-2023, 02:04 PM
 
28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Reputation: 30944
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
We’re forgetting that recruiting is in the tank!

In the tank I tell ya!!!
Recruiting is in the tank, but a change of the party in the White House is not going to fix it.
 
Old 04-14-2023, 03:21 AM
 
6,093 posts, read 3,336,497 times
Reputation: 10941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Recruiting is in the tank, but a change of the party in the White House is not going to fix it.
That’s just your opinion. But here is the absolute, undisputed fact:

Recruiting goals were met during the last administration, and they are not being met now, during the current administration.

I know this fact disturbs you (and others) on this thread to no end.
I know you (and others) wish it wasn’t true.
I know you (and others) love to blame everything on the last administration.

But if you want my opinion, I believe that a change in the White House, and a major change in many aspects of policy, will start to repair the damage. It will take some time, but not a question in my mind, by 2028 the damage will have been repaired if the current anti-American party is booted out.

Doing the same things, with the same administration, will get you the same results we are seeing now.
 
Old 04-14-2023, 05:10 AM
 
9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Reputation: 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
That’s just your opinion. But here is the absolute, undisputed fact:

Recruiting goals were met during the last administration, and they are not being met now, during the current administration.

I know this fact disturbs you (and others) on this thread to no end.
I know you (and others) wish it wasn’t true.
I know you (and others) love to blame everything on the last administration.

But if you want my opinion, I believe that a change in the White House, and a major change in many aspects of policy, will start to repair the damage. It will take some time, but not a question in my mind, by 2028 the damage will have been repaired if the current anti-American party is booted out.

Doing the same things, with the same administration, will get you the same results we are seeing now.
The FACT is that wages were much lower during the last administration. While private sector wages have gone up significantly, the military has not seen a comparable wage increase.

It’s not just the military that is having issues. I’m in the feds and the base GS-5 job pays about $40K and requires a college degree. They have a lot of trouble getting the lower paying positions filled. My office does not offer GS-5 positions and starts at a slightly higher pay grade, but they’ve had incredible problems filling any open position. I’m currently in a role typically done by state employees because they pay even less and haven’t been able to fill all their critical need open positions that get federal funding. The agency is doing projects to have federal employees help out temporarily until they can get the new employees hired, trained, and ready to go. The problem with state hiring clearly has nothing to do with the current presidential administration.
 
Old 04-14-2023, 07:10 AM
 
14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Reputation: 45726
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
That’s just your opinion. But here is the absolute, undisputed fact:

Recruiting goals were met during the last administration, and they are not being met now, during the current administration.

I know this fact disturbs you (and others) on this thread to no end.
I know you (and others) wish it wasn’t true.
I know you (and others) love to blame everything on the last administration.

But if you want my opinion, I believe that a change in the White House, and a major change in many aspects of policy, will start to repair the damage. It will take some time, but not a question in my mind, by 2028 the damage will have been repaired if the current anti-American party is booted out.

Doing the same things, with the same administration, will get you the same results we are seeing now.
All kinds of things can happen in the next few years. I feel safe saying though that the majority of Americans don't want to go back to the kind of crazy leadership we had between 2017 and 2021. Some us were terribly embarrassed at the way our chief executive behaved. Leadership is more than insulting someone every day you are in office.

If you want to meet recruiting goals, I will repeat again: Raise the salary and benefits for those in the military. Financial incentives work wonderfully in terms of getting applicants for any position. Its pretty hard for the military to compete against a civilian employer like Amazon that is offering $18 to $19 an hour to new hires.
 
Old 04-14-2023, 08:28 AM
 
Location: South of Cakalaki
5,716 posts, read 4,686,741 times
Reputation: 5163
People who deny the reality of Covid are slow to accept the change that came with it.
 
Old 04-14-2023, 09:35 AM
 
6,093 posts, read 3,336,497 times
Reputation: 10941
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
All kinds of things can happen in the next few years. I feel safe saying though that the majority of Americans don't want to go back to the kind of crazy leadership we had between 2017 and 2021. Some us were terribly embarrassed at the way our chief executive behaved. Leadership is more than insulting someone every day you are in office.

If you want to meet recruiting goals, I will repeat again: Raise the salary and benefits for those in the military. Financial incentives work wonderfully in terms of getting applicants for any position. Its pretty hard for the military to compete against a civilian employer like Amazon that is offering $18 to $19 an hour to new hires.
That’s your interpretation, and I have mine. For example, I am terribly embarrassed about this current administration.

Also, I disagree that Amazon’s 19 bucks an hour could even begin to compete with wearing the uniform and joining the profession of arms. I took a pay cut to join the military in 1990, and I knew I wouldn’t make as much again until I put on E-4. Best decision I ever made, and 30+ years later, I’m still working for the military in the same capacity, except I’ve retired from wearing the uniform.

Bottom line is that this current administration is an embarrassment for tens of millions of people, and couple that with the Afghanistan debacle/surrender, you’ve got guys who would normally be joining who don’t want anything to do with the military.

Guys who think like you normally work at corporations like Amazon, and guys who think like me normally join the military. Unless they are embarrassed over what is going on in DC.
 
Old 04-14-2023, 09:48 AM
 
28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Reputation: 30944
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
All kinds of things can happen in the next few years. I feel safe saying though that the majority of Americans don't want to go back to the kind of crazy leadership we had between 2017 and 2021. Some us were terribly embarrassed at the way our chief executive behaved. Leadership is more than insulting someone every day you are in office.

If you want to meet recruiting goals, I will repeat again: Raise the salary and benefits for those in the military. Financial incentives work wonderfully in terms of getting applicants for any position. Its pretty hard for the military to compete against a civilian employer like Amazon that is offering $18 to $19 an hour to new hires.
It's not just money. Generation Z, more than any previous generation, will reject even a high-paying job if the work-life balance is lousy...and the fact is that work-life balance for the military will always be lousy.

The concept of "service before self" is vastly diminished in Generation Z...and it's not all their fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top