Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-25-2023, 01:49 PM
 
28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Reputation: 31003

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Years ago there was a movie titled "A town like Alice". I think it was based on fact. The British women prisoners were forced marched for miles through the jungles to different camps and while not physically punished without reason were more or left in a state of neglect and near starvation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
And the British took American prisoners during the Revolutionary war onto ships just offshore and did far worse than any descriptions here. The British didn’t even provide a death tally or name tally and those held included included females. Later after the war the assumption was obvious death but nobody confirmed.
The discussion was about the mistreatment American military women might encounter if taken as prisoners of war. We have specific accounts of those modern-day atrocities.

What are you talking about bringing up the Revolutionary War?

 
Old 05-26-2023, 01:36 PM
 
Location: U.S.
9,511 posts, read 9,103,764 times
Reputation: 5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The discussion was about the mistreatment American military women might encounter if taken as prisoners of war. We have specific accounts of those modern-day atrocities.

What are you talking about bringing up the Revolutionary War?
Brought the example up to show the concern of women combatants being abused by captors has been a real threat for centuries, not just a recent phenomenon. Thanks for reading and asking about this example before casting it aside because it doesn’t fit neatly into your narrative.
 
Old 05-27-2023, 04:19 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
27,221 posts, read 13,508,926 times
Reputation: 19579
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
And the British took American prisoners during the Revolutionary war onto ships just offshore and did far worse than any descriptions here. The British didn’t even provide a death tally or name tally and those held included included females. Later after the war the assumption was obvious death but nobody confirmed.
I think you have been watching too much Mel Gibson.

Britain always had a small Army, and a large Navy, and relied on local forces to defend and police themselves, and in terms of the so called Revolutionary War over one third of the British forces were German Hessian Mercenaries.

As for atrocities, the Revolutionary War was not notable in relation to such events, and is largely seen as a foot note in relation to the Ango-French wars and Napoleonic Wars.

Finally is you want to examine atrocities then there are plenty of modern examples in relation to US forces from Vietnam to Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as double tap drone operations, however some Americans seem to prefer to go back hundreds of years and to point the finger at others in relation to atrocities or slavery rather than deal with their own recent legacy.
 
Old 05-27-2023, 11:54 AM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Reputation: 12711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I think you have been watching too much Mel Gibson.

Britain always had a small Army, and a large Navy, and relied on local forces to defend and police themselves, and in terms of the so called Revolutionary War over one third of the British forces were German Hessian Mercenaries.

As for atrocities, the Revolutionary War was not notable in relation to such events, and is largely seen as a foot note in relation to the Ango-French wars and Napoleonic Wars.

Finally is you want to examine atrocities then there are plenty of modern examples in relation to US forces from Vietnam to Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as double tap drone operations, however some Americans seem to prefer to go back hundreds of years and to point the finger at others in relation to atrocities or slavery rather than deal with their own recent legacy.
I don't disagree with anything you wrote, but johnsonkk's point about British POW ships is 100% accurate.
 
Old 05-27-2023, 02:44 PM
 
565 posts, read 473,624 times
Reputation: 1332
Let's go back to WWII when the Anglo-American bombing campaign killed thousands upon thousands of German civilians. Enough war criminality for all of us!
 
Old 05-27-2023, 05:00 PM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Reputation: 12711
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
Let's go back to WWII when the Anglo-American bombing campaign killed thousands upon thousands of German civilians. Enough war criminality for all of us!
Didn't Germany start the war? How would you describe the Battle of Britain when the German Luftwaffe? What about the V-2 rocket attacks against the United Kingdom, Belgium, and other European countries? Were these war crimes or just acts of war?
 
Old 05-28-2023, 05:24 PM
 
28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Brought the example up to show the concern of women combatants being abused by captors has been a real threat for centuries, not just a recent phenomenon. Thanks for reading and asking about this example before casting it aside because it doesn’t fit neatly into your narrative.
There were no "women combatants" in the Continental Army.

We were talking about women assigned as combatants in the regular combat arms.
 
Old 05-28-2023, 05:26 PM
 
28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Reputation: 31003
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
Let's go back to WWII when the Anglo-American bombing campaign killed thousands upon thousands of German civilians. Enough war criminality for all of us!
We weren't talking about civilian deaths.

We were talking about women assigned as combatants in the regular combat arms.
 
Old 05-29-2023, 03:53 PM
 
2,352 posts, read 858,417 times
Reputation: 3080
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
Let's go back to WWII when the Anglo-American bombing campaign killed thousands upon thousands of German civilians. Enough war criminality for all of us!
Hitler sowed the seeds in his unprovoked attack on Poland in 1939 and he reaped the harvest a few years later. As for German civilians they were almost universal in their adoration of Hitler until the tide started to turn so I wouldn't give a damn about them especially in comparing the untold millions of deaths amongst Russians, Jews, Poles, French, British civilians and serving members of the Allied Armies, Navies and Air Forces
 
Old 05-29-2023, 04:00 PM
 
2,352 posts, read 858,417 times
Reputation: 3080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There were no "women combatants" in the Continental Army.

We were talking about women assigned as combatants in the regular combat arms.
Russian women were a valuable part of the WW2 Red Army. They flew combat planes, manned heavy field artillery guns, even served as tank crews. That said I would not even try to compare Russian woman of that period in history to women in 21st century western society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top