Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-10-2023, 10:57 AM
 
28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Reputation: 30933

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Here are some recent facts just published:

The Army and Navy will likely fall 25% short of their recruiting goal this year.
The USAF will likely fall 10% short of their recruiting goal this year.
The USMC will likely meet their recruiting goals this year.

The Marines do this:

“71% of our enlistment contracts are face-to-face contact from seeing a Marine with operational experience who is tough, tested, fit, ready to fight, who’s out there in the public square to engage with students.
I will acknowledge that when I was in a joint unit working with Marines, I conducted a personal poll, asking them, "What made you want to be a Marine."

Some had several reasons, but by far, nearly unanimously, one of the reasons given started with, "I saw a Marine...."

For an 18-year-old, seeing someone only a little older who looks like he's got his act together can be a powerful draw.

 
Old 07-10-2023, 01:04 PM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Reputation: 12699
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Here are some recent facts just published:

The Army and Navy will likely fall 25% short of their recruiting goal this year.
The USAF will likely fall 10% short of their recruiting goal this year.
The USMC will likely meet their recruiting goals this year.

The Marines do this:

“71% of our enlistment contracts are face-to-face contact from seeing a Marine with operational experience who is tough, tested, fit, ready to fight, who’s out there in the public square to engage with students.

Young people want what the traditional military has always provided. They don’t want to see stories how there are drag queens on Navy bases, and USAF officers who are transgendered “women”. They want to see men who have become warriors, men who are competent at the job they do, which is something they all aspire to.

Why are kids refusing Army, Navy, and USAF service?

“Influencers are not telling them to go into the military,” Adm. Mike Mullen, the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told The Wall Street Journal. “Moms and dads, uncles, coaches and pastors don’t see it as a good choice.”

That’s a huge problem because nearly 4 in 5 Army recruits had a relative who served.

There is no fix to this problem until there is change at the top. Has little to do with political party, because we all know Obama and Trump were not an embarrassment to the troops. But the current guy is ridiculous. How can you lead when you can’t even speak extemporaneously?
How many drag queens and transgendered USAF officers actually exist? Probably a lot fewer percentage than exist in the US population, which is not many.

Yes, how did Trump lead when he couldn't speak extemporaneously or knowledgeably about any topic?

I agree that influencers are not telling young people to go into the military. When I was growing up, most of us had fathers, uncles, and teachers who had served in WWII, Korea, or the peacetime military. A minority can make that claim today. That makes a huge difference when there is not that personal connection.
 
Old 07-10-2023, 01:39 PM
 
28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Reputation: 30933
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
How many drag queens and transgendered USAF officers actually exist? Probably a lot fewer percentage than exist in the US population, which is not many.
There are two quantities to consider:

1. How many transgenders are in the military? Pretty darned few.

2. How many of that "pretty darned few" want to be recognized as nonbinary rather than solely as the gender they present? Probably none of that "pretty darned few."

That makes "gender neutral" language in the military a useless element.
 
Old 07-10-2023, 03:28 PM
 
6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Reputation: 10930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There are two quantities to consider:

1. How many transgenders are in the military? Pretty darned few.

2. How many of that "pretty darned few" want to be recognized as nonbinary rather than solely as the gender they present? Probably none of that "pretty darned few."

That makes "gender neutral" language in the military a useless element.
It doesn’t matter how many. What matters is that the few that are in get an incredible amount of publicity. The woke media loves it, the woke corporations with their ESG scores love it, and the current leadership in the Pentagon want these stories front and center.

They know it hurts recruiting, but they don’t care. My theory is that they want to fundamentally change the military, and they don’t want conservative white males to join. They want a truly diversified military, who is in lock step with the DNC.

The Pentagon is so obtuse in their thinking, that they aren’t trying to dial back on wokeness, they are attacking and blaming anti-woke rhetoric.
 
Old 07-10-2023, 03:35 PM
 
6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Reputation: 10930
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
How many drag queens and transgendered USAF officers actually exist? Probably a lot fewer percentage than exist in the US population, which is not many.

Yes, how did Trump lead when he couldn't speak extemporaneously or knowledgeably about any topic?

I agree that influencers are not telling young people to go into the military. When I was growing up, most of us had fathers, uncles, and teachers who had served in WWII, Korea, or the peacetime military. A minority can make that claim today. That makes a huge difference when there is not that personal connection.
Trump was well liked by the troops. The reason I know is that I still work on a base and I talked to them.

I’ve been working on a base ever since 1990.

The military was a different place back in the 90’s. Nobody cared about, or even talked much about Bush 1 or Clinton. Things started getting more political after 2000. Bush 2 was so-so at best, the troops liked Obama, and they liked Trump. The current guy, you either get silence or you get laughter.
 
Old 07-10-2023, 06:30 PM
 
28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Reputation: 30933
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Trump was well liked by the troops. The reason I know is that I still work on a base and I talked to them.

I’ve been working on a base ever since 1990.

The military was a different place back in the 90’s. Nobody cared about, or even talked much about Bush 1 or Clinton. Things started getting more political after 2000. Bush 2 was so-so at best, the troops liked Obama, and they liked Trump. The current guy, you either get silence or you get laughter.
Nobody I knew liked Clinton at all from where I was. Hell, I didn't like Clinton either. At one point, Air Staff had to send out a warning to keep our dislike to ourselves...it had started to get out of hand. One general got cashiered because he went on a public anti-Clinton tirade at a Dining-Out. They warned us to clean the political cartoons off our bulletin boards and pull off the bumper stickers.

Bush 1 was decent. At least he listened to Intel, probably because he'd been the head of Intel.

I detested Reagan's politics, but he was great as a boss.

I liked Carter's politics, but he was a pain to work for.

Ford was just there, and not for long. But he was okay while he was there.

Nixon...seriously, nobody trusted Nixon. During the final days of Watergate, at SAC HQ we got a sotto voce warning from Air Staff to ignore any direct commands from the White House.
 
Old 07-11-2023, 12:05 AM
 
6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Reputation: 10930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Nobody I knew liked Clinton at all from where I was. Hell, I didn't like Clinton either. At one point, Air Staff had to send out a warning to keep our dislike to ourselves...it had started to get out of hand. One general got cashiered because he went on a public anti-Clinton tirade at a Dining-Out. They warned us to clean the political cartoons off our bulletin boards and pull off the bumper stickers.

Bush 1 was decent. At least he listened to Intel, probably because he'd been the head of Intel.

I detested Reagan's politics, but he was great as a boss.

I liked Carter's politics, but he was a pain to work for.

Ford was just there, and not for long. But he was okay while he was there.

Nixon...seriously, nobody trusted Nixon. During the final days of Watergate, at SAC HQ we got a sotto voce warning from Air Staff to ignore any direct commands from the White House.
I think you had a vastly different experience than I did because I was at base level most of my career, except for one 5 year stretch where I was at NAF. But even for the airmen at Wing level and below just performing the day to day mission, things turned political after 2000. Everyone started to pay more attention. Now that I think about it, this may have been by design. Maybe they were upset with Gore getting cheated, so they decided to divide everyone, not sure, just a theory. Obviously, 2016 made everyone hyper political. It’s so different being on a base in 2023 as opposed to 1990.

Anyway, my opinions are based from that level, and when I throw out generalizations about what the troops are thinking, it’s base level airmen I’m talking to, not airmen who are interacting with the senior levels of government and the pentagon.

Also, I could see them ignoring Nixon at the end, because according to the media, he was out of it at the end. Not that I trust the media to tell the truth about anything, but that narrative at least seems somewhat true.
 
Old 07-11-2023, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Reputation: 3679
People are finally starting to wake up. We are tired of sending our young men and women off to die for nothing. I am a staunch patriot, but even I have my limits. I would never support my child joining the military anymore - to fight for these politician's funding their own accounts. It's sickening what these people have done to our country.
 
Old 07-12-2023, 08:08 AM
 
6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Reputation: 10930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
People are finally starting to wake up. We are tired of sending our young men and women off to die for nothing. I am a staunch patriot, but even I have my limits. I would never support my child joining the military anymore - to fight for these politician's funding their own accounts. It's sickening what these people have done to our country.
Yes, many people believe that nowadays and I don’t really blame them.

I’m conflicted though.

On one hand, I don’t like what is happening and where we are going as a nation. We are clearly headed down the wrong road.

On the other hand, this is my life’s work and I am a living testament to how military service can elevate someone’s life from failure to success.

We need change at the top, that much is evident.
 
Old 07-12-2023, 01:33 PM
 
Location: In Little Ping's Maple Dictatorship
333 posts, read 153,016 times
Reputation: 877
Let's forget about sexual politics, drug use, obesity, ADHD and the rest of the buzzwords thrown at us to divert attention from the real problem.

We currently have NATO allies actively supporting a war in Eastern Europe who's eventual outcome has little to no bearing on our everyday lives in North America, despite the reams of propaganda trying to convince us otherwise. Our collective governments are throwing away countless billions into a literal pissing match between two regimes led by two nutters that were both considered "the enemy" 40 years ago. Meanwhile back at home, our own citizens are finding it increasingly difficult to pay their bills and put food on their tables with very little hope for relief in sight.

Considering all that, is it really a big mystery why military enlistments in both Canada and America are way down? Its difficult to be patriotic to the level of enlistment when the government you are supposed to admire seemingly cares more about former USSR member states than it does its own citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top