Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2023, 10:06 PM

606 posts, read 731,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I will acknowledge that when I was in a joint unit working with Marines, I conducted a personal poll, asking them, "What made you want to be a Marine."

Some had several reasons, but by far, nearly unanimously, one of the reasons given started with, "I saw a Marine...."

For an 18-year-old, seeing someone only a little older who looks like he's got his act together can be a powerful draw.
The US Marines is the world's greatest fraternity. I joined at age 17 while still in high school, thinking I would skip college, get some good technical skills and in four years have the equivalent of a degree in skills and technical training. I certainly got what I joined for, and a whole lot more. The US Marines squared my young hiney await quickly and by the time I was 22, I could manage my money get a good job. Fast forward four decades....I am nearing retirement, make about 100k per year and have no college degree.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:30 AM

6,157 posts, read 3,376,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
The US Marines is the world's greatest fraternity. I joined at age 17 while still in high school, thinking I would skip college, get some good technical skills and in four years have the equivalent of a degree in skills and technical training. I certainly got what I joined for, and a whole lot more. The US Marines squared my young hiney await quickly and by the time I was 22, I could manage my money get a good job. Fast forward four decades....I am nearing retirement, make about 100k per year and have no college degree.
I agree that military service can be very rewarding, and if you work hard at the profession of arms, you can set yourself up for a lifetime of success. This is still true today for 18 year olds today.

The best thing I ever did in my entire life was join.

That’s why it’s so frustrating to see what they are doing to the military.

Here is a quote from a high school kid who was contemplating joining the Marines and following in his father’s footsteps, who had chosen to become a Marine 25 years ago and completed his enlistment:

“If we're prioritizing being woke, and we can't actually protect the majority of American people . . . what's the point of having a military?" the kid said, "Is it really worth joining and putting our life on the line for ideologies that we don't agree with and that we don't want to necessarily protect?"

This is the conundrum. We’ve got to fix this. Unfortunately, there isn’t anything any of us can do. The civilians at the Pentagon and in DC are running amok and ruining everything, like they always do.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:59 AM

635 posts, read 329,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
“If we're prioritizing being woke, and we can't actually protect the majority of American people . . . what's the point of having a military?" the kid said, "Is it really worth joining and putting our life on the line for ideologies that we don't agree with and that we don't want to necessarily protect?"
And hopefully he didn't join, right? "I don't want to defend those people!" Sounds like someone the military is better off without.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
And hopefully he didn't join, right? "I don't want to defend those people!" Sounds like someone the military is better off without.
It’s a volunteer force, and a decision everyone has to make. This kid, he doesn’t want to risk his life just so men can have the right to breastfeed, or whatever. I respect his decision, again, he’s under no obligation to join.

As for me, if I was 18 right now, I’d probably still join, but if I’m honest with myself,
I wouldn’t feel the same sense of pride that I felt back in 1990 when we were a normal and sane country.

We have become insane as a nation, incredibly corrupt, incredibly immoral. I don’t blame anyone for refusing to volunteer, refusing to lay down their life.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:03 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,477,136 times
I find it interesting that so many posters are focusing on themes of Patriotism and/or Politics.

I dont think I was ever very patriotic, and I remember most commands where I served tried to remain neutral to national politics.

I earned a good living that allowed me to invest and build a respectable portfolio. At times I had a hard time staying focused on the 20-year pension, fortunately, I was successful in completing it and achieving my pension.

If I were involved with recruiting, I would focus on these ideas and I would avoid patriotism and/or political themes.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:15 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I find it interesting that so many posters are focusing on themes of Patriotism and/or Politics.

I dont think I was ever very patriotic, and I remember most commands where I served tried to remain neutral to national politics.

I earned a good living that allowed me to invest and build a respectable portfolio. At times I had a hard time staying focused on the 20-year pension, fortunately, I was successful in completing it and achieving my pension.

If I were involved with recruiting, I would focus on these ideas and I would avoid patriotism and/or political themes.
I'm not sure they can do that, considering how politics has intruded on daily military life in ways it never did when you and I were young troops. Our lives were controlled by military necessities, and even if some of them seemed stupid, at least it was "in-house" stupidity.

Even if we look at one of the biggest social changes in the military, racial integration, the strictly military argument of its necessity is easy to make...and in fact, was made by senior military leadership after WWII. Segregation (proven to be political, not a military necessity) was shown by the logistics bean-counters to be a clear drag on the ability of the US to wage war.

Today, I see troops having to do a lot of stupid things strictly from political pressure.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:23 PM

8,502 posts, read 6,916,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
I joined just after high school in the Vietnam era. It was the best decision in my life. Two years in SE Asia. It taught me discipline, teamwork and remaining cool under pressure. Met my wife overseas. And a totally free college education. No regrets whatsoever.

Old 07-17-2023, 05:26 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,477,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm not sure they can do that, considering how politics has intruded on daily military life in ways it never did when you and I were young troops. Our lives were controlled by military necessities, and even if some of them seemed stupid, at least it was "in-house" stupidity.

Even if we look at one of the biggest social changes in the military, racial integration, the strictly military argument of its necessity is easy to make...and in fact, was made by senior military leadership after WWII. Segregation (proven to be political, not a military necessity) was shown by the logistics bean-counters to be a clear drag on the ability of the US to wage war.

Today, I see troops having to do a lot of stupid things strictly from political pressure.
Racial integration happened a long time before I enlisted. I can not comment on how it changed the military mission.

During my career, I saw three E9s quit after serving on the annual Chief selection boards due to Affirmative Action. Each of them returned to the boat steaming mad about the orders they had been given during the boards.

And at my last command, I witnessed the results of Affirmative Action policies.

When I reach 17 years, I was an E6 with 13 years at sea, and I was told that I was not competitive for advancement with so little time at sea. That was the attitude. To make advancement a sailor needs to stay at sea.

At my next command [shore duty] I worked for an E8 and an E9, who had both never been to sea. I had more time at sea than either of them had in uniform.

Did Affirmative Action help the Navy? I have no idea if it did, or not.

In a branch where time at sea is a big factor, it did not help comradery to serve under two extremely junior people who had been advanced exclusively due to their race/gender.

But, that was over 20 years ago.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:56 PM

635 posts, read 329,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
It’s a volunteer force, and a decision everyone has to make. This kid, he doesn’t want to risk his life just so men can have the right to breastfeed, or whatever. I respect his decision, again, he’s under no obligation to join.
Awesome! So he didn't join. Of course he's under no obligation to serve. He decided that he doesn't need the military, and the military doesn't need even more people like him, so everybody wins, right?

Old 07-17-2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Awesome! So he didn't join. Of course he's under no obligation to serve. He decided that he doesn't need the military, and the military doesn't need even more people like him, so everybody wins, right?
In many cases, not all, dependents of military members are squared away individuals who already have a working knowledge of a base and the military culture. They usually perform well based on my experience.

So because of misguided political ideology, many squared away individuals are opting out. That’s not a good thing in my opinion. But according to the liberals who run the Pentagon, this is very good news.

You probably feel like taking a victory lap as plenty of conservative white males are saying no to military service. Just don’t be surprised later when the men who wear dresses, and other “sensitive” individuals perform poorly. Of course, that will never happen right? The leaders at the Pentagon say that standards have not been lowered. You know, the same guys who said the Afghan Military would hold the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.