Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2023, 09:34 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
In a new move to combat the recruiting crisis, the top Army NCO said the answer is social media.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/...-10923648.html

Despite the Army downsizing over 30,000 soldiers in FY24, there is still a problem with recruiting. Examples are included in the linked article but this cedes control of the messaging.
Social media is the medium, but it's not the solution. Moreover, social media influences who are proud of their military backgrounds tend not to be advocates for today's military.

Quote:
Colón-López said social media channels such as YouTube and TikTok are dominated by popular influencers who have a service connection. He said they are precisely what the military needs to reach potential recruits under the age of 25, considering recent Pentagon data has shown just 23% of Americans between the ages of 17 and 24 qualify physically and academically to serve. Further, only about 9% of people in that age range are interested in serving, according to a Defense Department survey.
He's reading the data wrong. The DoD does not have data on all Americans to determine the overall percentage who are fit to serve. The DoD only has data on those who have attempted to recruit.

Of those who have attempted to recruit, only 23% have been qualified to serve. That statistic is garnered from the 9% who were interested in serving.

IOW, 9% are interested in serving, and only 25% of that 9% is qualified to serve.

Old 08-02-2023, 02:33 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Social media is the medium, but it's not the solution. Moreover, social media influences who are proud of their military backgrounds tend not to be advocates for today's military.

He's reading the data wrong. The DoD does not have data on all Americans to determine the overall percentage who are fit to serve. The DoD only has data on those who have attempted to recruit.

Of those who have attempted to recruit, only 23% have been qualified to serve. That statistic is garnered from the 9% who were interested in serving.

IOW, 9% are interested in serving, and only 25% of that 9% is qualified to serve.
9% X 25% = 2.25% of 300 Million citizens is still 6.75 Million.

Old 08-02-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
9% X 25% = 2.25% of 300 Million citizens is still 6.75 Million.
It's not 2.25% of 300 million, it's 2.25% of those between 17 and 27. As of the 2018 estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, the number of Americans between the ages of 17 and 27 was approximately 42.8 million.

So, 2.25% of 42.8 million is 963,000. Total DoD training capacity is about 120,000 annually, which is only 12% of 963,000...so it's feasible...if kids could be effectively counseled toward it.

Old 08-02-2023, 03:19 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,106,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's not 2.25% of 300 million, it's 2.25% of those between 17 and 27. As of the 2018 estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, the number of Americans between the ages of 17 and 27 was approximately 42.8 million.

So, 2.25% of 42.8 million is 963,000. Total DoD training capacity is about 120,000 annually, which is only 12% of 963,000...so it's feasible...if kids could be effectively counseled toward it.
And we’re much closer to 350 million than we are to 300 million. This isn’t to disparage the math but bring to light the sheer numbers in the U.S.

Old 09-01-2023, 02:22 PM

782 posts, read 511,688 times
I would not serve in the current conflicts, nor would I want my kids to serve now. Going to Iran or Afghanistan is not dying for your country. Neither was Vietnam. There is no enemy crossing our border under a flag of war. What we need is an international, global mercenary force, made up of highly paid volunteers, under the direct command of the United Nations or any other ad hoc command structure that will police hot spots and root out dictators and crooks posing as politicians. Every conflict in the world could be stopped by a well-trained and equipped World Police. Getting every country to buy off on a Declaration of Civility, a written codicil of behavior for world leaders and rebel groups could end political and monetary violence around the globe. Some African strongman getting frisky? Send in a division of World Police, capture or kill the bad guy, the citizens are free to lead their lives in peace. Now that I think of it, that might make a good novel, then a movie. I'd better get busy!

Old 09-01-2023, 03:51 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,011,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/militar...icia-rcna35078

Not many people want to serve anymore. Many different reasons, but I feel that it is civilian leadership in DC that is the main problem.
Near 1000% employment makes a difference.

Might take the DC leadership part to the Politics section of forum.

Old 09-01-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I would not serve in the current conflicts, nor would I want my kids to serve now. Going to Iran or Afghanistan is not dying for your country. Neither was Vietnam. There is no enemy crossing our border under a flag of war. What we need is an international, global mercenary force, made up of highly paid volunteers, under the direct command of the United Nations or any other ad hoc command structure that will police hot spots and root out dictators and crooks posing as politicians. Every conflict in the world could be stopped by a well-trained and equipped World Police. Getting every country to buy off on a Declaration of Civility, a written codicil of behavior for world leaders and rebel groups could end political and monetary violence around the globe. Some African strongman getting frisky? Send in a division of World Police, capture or kill the bad guy, the citizens are free to lead their lives in peace. Now that I think of it, that might make a good novel, then a movie. I'd better get busy!
The UN already does that. That's the only reason Nepal even has a military force...that's all they do.

Old 09-01-2023, 04:36 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
... root out dictators and crooks posing as politicians.
I dont think I have ever seen a Litmus test that can distinguish between a crook and a politician.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:16 PM

8,502 posts, read 6,918,302 times
The Marine Corps is the only military branch reaching recruitment goals.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:49 AM

6,159 posts, read 3,380,493 times
I think it’s very clear what the problem is. If you look at demographics of the force, it breaks down like this:

White people:

USAF 71%
USN 62%
USA 54%
USMC 52%

So it’s still very clear that white people make up the majority of the force. Yet, this current administration has decided to demonize white people. Actually, we know the reason, and it’s for political gain. Unfortunately, the gains in politics come at a cost, which is many white people not wanting to serve a country who has decided that they are the problem.

The fix is very easy. Stop demonizing white people. Stop any form of wokeness, DEI, or CRT, or whatever buzz word has become fashionable. The recruitment numbers will go up.

But perhaps they have found another way? Maybe that’s why the border is wide open? So that they can basically conscript non-white migrants to fit their new world order? I’m pretty sure the Romans tried this and it blew up in their face.

Anyway, I’m sure there will be someone along shortly with a Washington think tank research paper refuting everything I’ve posted. You know, because none of those think tanks are biased and don’t have an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues