Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2023, 10:50 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
that they can basically conscript non-white migrants to fit their new world order? I’m pretty sure the Romans tried this and it blew up in their face.
What blew up in the faces of the Romans was that they had foreigners fight their wars with the promise of citizenship...then reneged on the citizenship. When the Visigoths invaded Rome, it was not to conquer the Romans, it was to become Romans.

Old 09-02-2023, 01:55 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I would not serve in the current conflicts, nor would I want my kids to serve now. Going to Iran or Afghanistan is not dying for your country. Neither was Vietnam. There is no enemy crossing our border under a flag of war. What we need is an international, global mercenary force, made up of highly paid volunteers, under the direct command of the United Nations or any other ad hoc command structure that will police hot spots and root out dictators and crooks posing as politicians. Every conflict in the world could be stopped by a well-trained and equipped World Police. Getting every country to buy off on a Declaration of Civility, a written codicil of behavior for world leaders and rebel groups could end political and monetary violence around the globe. Some African strongman getting frisky? Send in a division of World Police, capture or kill the bad guy, the citizens are free to lead their lives in peace. Now that I think of it, that might make a good novel, then a movie. I'd better get busy!
The enemy is within this country.

Old 09-02-2023, 02:48 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I would not serve in the current conflicts, nor would I want my kids to serve now.
When you enlist, you do not get the option of picking which conflicts you participate in.

I first enlisted in the 1970s, by the time that a blue stained dress came along and the White House needed to re-direct the media attention to a war [ie, Kosovo and the 'ethnic Albanians'] servicemembers had no option to say otherwise.

If you serve for a career, that is your career.

The current conflicts of 2023 will be a long distant memory by the time you reach retirement.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When you enlist, you do not get the option of picking which conflicts you participate in.

I first enlisted in the 1970s, by the time that a blue stained dress came along and the White House needed to re-direct the media attention to a war [ie, Kosovo and the 'ethnic Albanians'] servicemembers had no option to say otherwise.

If you serve for a career, that is your career.

The current conflicts of 2023 will be a long distant memory by the time you reach retirement.
We were in the last couple of years of the Vietnam Era when I enlisted. Although the war was winding down, there were no guarantees. There never are.

I thought we'd get a break after the Soviet Union collapsed. Well, most people did, and Congress gleefully spent the "Cold War Dividend" on all the wrong things (cutting back on intelligence was super stupid...the smaller your teeth, the larger your ears have to be). But that break was, what...less than two years before Iraq invaded Kuwait and Saudi Arabia called for payment on their Petrodollar insurance policy?

Old 09-02-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We were in the last couple of years of the Vietnam Era when I enlisted. Although the war was winding down, there were no guarantees. There never are.

I thought we'd get a break after the Soviet Union collapsed. Well, most people did, and Congress gleefully spent the "Cold War Dividend" on all the wrong things (cutting back on intelligence was super stupid...the smaller your teeth, the larger your ears have to be). But that break was, what...less than two years before Iraq invaded Kuwait and Saudi Arabia called for payment on their Petrodollar insurance policy?
Exactly!

To say that you would never serve under a 'X' makes no sense.

Whoever the POTUS is makes no difference.

There will always be wars raging. It is always encased in racism, profiteering, and political upstaging.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:17 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
What blew up in the faces of the Romans was that they had foreigners fight their wars with the promise of citizenship...then reneged on the citizenship. When the Visigoths invaded Rome, it was not to conquer the Romans, it was to become Romans.
Same thing the USMC did during OIF.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Same thing the USMC did during OIF.
That is not limited to the USMC.

I saw it in the US Navy in the '90s.

During most of my career, our enemy was the USSR, but at my last command I had multiple Foreign Nationals who had enlisted, and they were working for me. One that shocked me was a man from Georgia. We also had a guy from Brazil, one from Peru, and one from Italy.

When each of our sons enlisted in the US Army, at both of their Basic Training graduation ceremonies they honored a group of immigrants who had enlisted and were serving in the Army.

Service gets you citizenship.

Old 09-03-2023, 09:47 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
The enemy is within this country.
Yeah they are. Some of them are saying they are being indicted for the country because he is being politically pursecuted. This has been the cry of many authoritarian governments like Nazi Germany and Facist Italy. It is made worse because there are people that are being enthralled by that person to follow the lies he is spewing.

Old 09-03-2023, 11:05 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
Yes, that is one aspect. But I’m referring to the unsuccessful quagmires that were lost because these foreign fighters felt no allegiance to Rome and would not fight all that hard.

Old 09-03-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Yes, that is one aspect. But I’m referring to the unsuccessful quagmires that were lost because these foreign fighters felt no allegiance to Rome and would not fight all that hard.
I'm not sure that wasn't because of poor leadership--politically selected rather than hard-core experienced--out of Rome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues