Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 09:37 AM

6,093 posts, read 3,334,624 times

Advertisements

I’m split on this issue. On one hand, I get it, many people get angry when they think about the Confederacy.

On the other hand, it’s tradition, and when you change the name, it’s just like remaking America. Also, they won’t stop here, they will go after many other names and institutions because they really do want to remake America.

Regardless, I’m going to keep calling them the same names. If someone gets butt hurt over it, I will just say sorry, forgot.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:28 AM

634 posts, read 327,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Brought to us by the FIVE (5 ) time draft dodging President Joe Biden.
Passed by Congress before Biden was even sworn in.

I wonder if the same people crying “But think of the cost!!!” were just as outraged when a bunch of Air Force bases were recently changed to Space Force bases and renamed.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:21 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Quote:
It would be better if you would confine yourself to the truth in online discussions.

Biden didn’t use health excuses to dodge the draft

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...s-dodge-draft/

Old 10-11-2022, 12:55 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It would be better if you would confine yourself to the truth in online discussions.

Biden didn’t use health excuses to dodge the draft

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...s-dodge-draft/
I guess I don't see it - the truth is that Biden did get 5 deferments which is what they said.

It would be better if you confine yourself to the truth and stick to what is claimed - instead of your interpretation - all you did was prove that the claim is true.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I guess I don't see it - the truth is that Biden did get 5 deferments which is what they said.

It would be better if you confine yourself to the truth and stick to what is claimed - instead of your interpretation - all you did was prove that the claim is true.
What he claimed was that Biden dodged the draft. The fact is that he received the same deferments legitimately that literally millions received. That isn't draft dodging.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Fair argument. So time is practically limitless in large organizations is what we’re hearing. So the committee on bases being renamed could have instead worked on a safe, less risky exit from Afghanistan. Lord knows you had enough rank (retired and current) in the base renaming committee. This ad hoc committee traveled extensively to each base to research, visit, and conduct countless interviews. Total cost? Who knows. Maybe it’s wrapped in the $65+ millions that has been estimated on renaming.

But it was worth it because now all bases with offensive history are rectified. Wait, there are more?!? Yes. Countless names of bases, ships, and air platforms were ignored that still have offensive names with derogatory history…. Hypocrisy lives. However, THIS is the pendulum for recruiting! Get ready for the floods at recruiting stations!
When I want to say that "time is practically limitless in large organizations" I'll let you know. Until then, maybe stop misrepresenting what I say.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:38 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,046,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’m split on this issue. On one hand, I get it, many people get angry when they think about the Confederacy.

On the other hand, it’s tradition, and when you change the name, it’s just like remaking America. Also, they won’t stop here, they will go after many other names and institutions because they really do want to remake America.

Regardless, I’m going to keep calling them the same names. If someone gets butt hurt over it, I will just say sorry, forgot.
That's mature.... Sounds just like the "stop the steal" group of idiots.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:06 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,737 times
A nation that reviles its past, has no future.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:31 PM

135 posts, read 68,647 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Passed by Congress before Biden was even sworn in.
Indeed. The Senate vote in 2020 - mind you, that was a Republican-controlled Senate - was 86-14. After Trump vetoed the bill, the Senate override vote was 81-13. The House override vote was 322-87, so though the House was Democratic, a majority of Republicans voted for the override, and thus in favor of the legislation authorizing the renaming.

Meanwhile, while all this was happening, Joe Biden was a private citizen holding no office. Lies to the contrary notwithstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
I wonder if the same people crying “But think of the cost!!!” were just as outraged when a bunch of Air Force bases were recently changed to Space Force bases and renamed.
They care not one iota about the cost. They just want to honor traitors, specifically traitors whose treachery was in the service of perpetuating slavery. It's their way of exhalting historical racism while pretending otherwise.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:45 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
A nation that reviles its past, has no future.
Maybe mom’s iPad auto corrected your post which is a quote by Winston Churchill, “a nation that forgets its past, has no future.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...no-future.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues