Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 01:31 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,904 times

Advertisements

Don was a second cousin. Alcoholic father, mother who abandoned him, often slept at friends when his dad was nowhere to be found. Learned to hunt and fish so he’d have something to eat when “dad” wasn’t around. One time, after he walked “home” from football practice, he opened the door to the house they were staying in to find it empty. His dad had sold everything to but supplies to make moonshine. In fact, his dad spent time in prison for moonshine and was making it as late as 1978, two years after I left home!

He reported to the Army three months early because he had nowhere to stay and no idea where he’d get his next meal. Don made it through airborne and was sent to Vietnam where he made a deal with God: get me out of this and I’ll serve you the rest of my life. Both kept their end of the bargain.

When he returned from Vietnam, he married his sweetheart Marie and they stayed married until his passing last week, well over 50 years. He got a full scholarship to play football at a jr college and followed that with a full football scholarship at FSU.

Don majored in education and eventually earned a doctorate. Teacher, coach, athletic director and superintendent of two different systems in two states. Generous to a fault. He made a deal with a friend of mine who owns a auto service center back home. Many times, he’d call Kenny and say, so-and-so is coming down. They need tires or repairs. “Take care of them, I’ll stop by and pay the bill later. “

Don was known for sharing vegetables and fruit from their land. Pecans, corn, apples, beans - he was the best neighbor. Don had so many excuses not to succeed but succeed he did. He made it his mission to be there for his son and daughter, never missing an event of theirs as kids. Eight grandkids were lucky to have him and Marie as grandparents.

Rest In Peace Don. Your mission is complete.

Last edited by k7baixo; 11-11-2022 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 01:49 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Salute,and Rest In Peace

Old 11-11-2022, 02:09 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Many of us don't appreciate how nice we had it growing up as kids.

Your friend was a hell of a good man. Thanks for sharing his story.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Many of us don't appreciate how nice we had it growing up as kids.

Your friend was a hell of a good man. Thanks for sharing his story.
He was in Vietnam for a year, mostly 1970. The only thing he ever said to me was that he could count the number of times he came out of the jungle on one hand.

When I went in the service, he asked me why. That was 1976 and the service wasn’t a popular option. He understood my reasons: to earn the GI Bill and to give a middle-finger to those who treated our vets so badly when they returned from Vietnam.

When my father passed, I flew home and that afternoon, he tracked me down, drove over, picked me up and we went out for ribs. We talked about my dad and what my parents had done for him.

About 12 years ago, he had to terminate a teacher. The teacher’s husband jumped him and beat him into the hospital. It touched off his PTSD again. I did what Don would have wanted me to do: I called his son Brad and made certain that he didn’t retaliate. Today, Brad is an assistant principal at an elementary school with three boys of his own. His wife is a teacher who has survived cancer twice. Brad is an acorn from a oak tree. He’s everything to his sons that his dad was to him.

Most of us were born on second or third thinking we hit a single. Don barely made it up to the batter’s box but I’ll be damned if he didn’t hit a grand slam in life.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:52 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
So sorry for your loss.
A fellow shipmate was laid to rest today as well, sadly I wasn't able to attend. RIP Izzy.

Old 11-11-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
So sorry for your loss.
A fellow shipmate was laid to rest today as well, sadly I wasn't able to attend. RIP Izzy.
I’m sorry for your loss also. It’s hard to lose the ones we served with and the ones who served.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:10 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,779 times
Don was an amazing man! Thank you for your service and the kindness you showed in life!

Old 11-14-2022, 08:43 AM

383 posts, read 181,718 times
Got any recent pics?

Old 11-14-2022, 08:52 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I’m sorry for your loss also. It’s hard to lose the ones we served with and the ones who served.
Thank you, to lose any of our brothers or sisters in arms is a great loss.

Old 11-14-2022, 09:56 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Salute, RIP warrior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues