Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 12:51 PM

117 posts, read 344,053 times

Advertisements

Hello,

For enlisting in the army as on of these three combat arms: Cavalry Scout, Infantry, and M1 Armor Crew,

1. How does the culture of these combat arms branches differ?

2. What type of individual in terms of personality and skillset, would be best suited for each of these jobs?

3. How hard it is it to get the M1 Armor Crew MOS. I have heard that there are times when few slots are available?

Interestingly, I have heard that there is an overlap in that some Cavalry Scouts and even some infantry have missions using armored vehicles and some armor units have dismounted missions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 05:24 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechang103 View Post
Hello,

For enlisting in the army as on of these three combat arms: Cavalry Scout, Infantry, and M1 Armor Crew,

1. How does the culture of these combat arms branches differ?

2. What type of individual in terms of personality and skillset, would be best suited for each of these jobs?

3. How hard it is it to get the M1 Armor Crew MOS. I have heard that there are times when few slots are available?

Interestingly, I have heard that there is an overlap in that some Cavalry Scouts and even some infantry have missions using armored vehicles and some armor units have dismounted missions.

Thanks
You’re like 30+ years old. Are you seriously considering enlisting into combat arms?

A recruiter can answer #3 in about 3 seconds. The rest is more location and unit based than specific to a type of career field.

Old 11-20-2022, 04:03 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
I was a 19E/K for the majority of my career. Tanks are hard work and hard on your body. But infantry and scouts do a lot more leg work. As we used to say: why carry your gear when your gear can carry you?

Old 11-20-2022, 09:27 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
It was 40 years ago for me but at Fort Knox and from the division's cavalry squadron along with battalion level scouts you got the feeling that they considered themselves a bit above the ordinary tank company crewmen. And in training you had all the images of the post Civil War scouts and troopers. Meanwhile due to a shortage of armor branch officers many infantry officers were pressed into tank battalions. Both my company and battalion XOs were infantry branched.

Just by a weird fluke my company always stayed pure armor and we never cross organized into tank and infantry company teams. At best my platoon was chopped down to the battalion scout platoon or another platoon in the company to the division's cavalry squadron. At times combat engineers or a Vulcan air defense 2 track section traveled with our two tank platoons. So I never dealt much with our brigades infantrymen.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:21 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I was a 19E/K for the majority of my career. Tanks are hard work and hard on your body. But infantry and scouts do a lot more leg work. As we used to say: why carry your gear when your gear can carry you?
Why I chose 67n20……

Old 11-21-2022, 04:28 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Why I chose 67n20……
If I to join military, Id go Chair Force.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:28 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
My son came home 20 years ago and announced that he'd just enlisted as a Calvary Scout....I said BS...get your a$$ back to that recruiter and tell him you want something that will put food on the table when your Army days are over...he chose Intel.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:18 PM

363 posts, read 349,319 times
did he get an intel job after the army?

Old 11-22-2022, 06:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
My son came home 20 years ago and announced that he'd just enlisted as a Calvary Scout....I said BS...get your a$$ back to that recruiter and tell him you want something that will put food on the table when your Army days are over...he chose Intel.
Cav Scout can get private contractor job, and that pays a lot, and many police department look upon combat roles favorably. Or you can be celeb bodyguard.

Old 11-24-2022, 01:00 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
did he get an intel job after the army?
Yes...by the time he was done with the Army, he was a million $$ man given the cost of his training....he went on to be able to brief the Joint Chief's and a sitting president on crucial middle east matters....all before the age of 30.
But hey, there is a skill for everyone in the Army, nothing wrong with being a Cav Scout, or a cook, or a mechanic.
I used to poke fun at a high school friend who enlisted to be a cook....he retired with benefits, and went on to travel the world inspecting Mess facilities for the Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues