Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 10:44 AM

6,159 posts, read 3,380,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You're looking at the wrong country. The country to worry about is Saudi Arabia. The Muslim sect to worry about is Saudi-supported Wahhabism. Wahhabism is behind all of the Muslim terrorism in the West, all of it. Saudi Arabia (along with Egypt) exports it and supports it. All those shiny mosques and masjids built by Saudi money in the West teach it.

Talk to a Muslim and ask about Wahhabism. Those who are not Wahhabis (notably, Iranians...but also Sunnis from India or Indonesia) will tell you that Wahhabis are bat-guano crazy. The ones who say there's no such thing as Wahhabism are Wahhabis.
I’m fully aware that Wahhabists are a serious problem too. But based on what I know today, I feel like Hezbollah is a greater threat. That could change in the future, especially if the temperature is lowered in Gaza in the coming weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
OMG, turn off the right wing misinformation network. So, Hezbollah is teaching Arabic speakers Spanish now. Literally the only source for this is a tweet from Trump with no foundation in reality. The intel community just laughed it off. Lest we forget, the right wing misinformation network tried this during OIF. Those sleeper cells still here too?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
You have no idea what is actually going on. When is the last time you’ve been in the AOR?

I firmly believe Hezbollah is a serious threat. Whether you believe it or not doesn’t matter to me.

I’m sure you applauded when the Biden administration gave Iran billions recently, which some of that money was funneled to Hezbollah, and ultimately Hamas.

Old 12-09-2023, 11:49 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’m fully aware that Wahhabists are a serious problem too. But based on what I know today, I feel like Hezbollah is a greater threat. That could change in the future, especially if the temperature is lowered in Gaza in the coming weeks.
Hezbollah is a serious threat within the Middle East. Saudi Arabia is by far the more serious threat outside the Middle East.

Hezbollah is likely the kingpin of the current Gaza crisis. When Hamas attacked Israel on Oct 7, the effect on Israel's military capability was minimal, yet Hamas committed such personalized atrocities that could only have been intended to enrage Israel to the maximum extent possible, absolutely knowing that Irael would retaliate brutally. That attack was not for military gain, that attack was to provoke Israel to atrocity against Palestinian civilans.

Why? I suggest that Hamas had been convinced by Hezbollah that the surrounding Arab nations would be drawn into a multi-front war against Israel. But that multi-front war never happened.

This isn't a game of checkers, however, this is 5D chess. Hezbollah is Iran's proxy, and Iran has been fighting a proxy war against Saudi Arabia for decades. Saudi Arabia and other Sunni nations had been at the brink of concluding successful negotiations for a non-aggression agreement with Israel. That would have allowed Saudi Arabia to focus fully on their war with Iran.

Now, that non-aggression agreement is in abeyance...Saudi certainly can't make a peace agreement with Israel now, and won't be able to make peace with Israel for years after this.

Who is winning here? Iran.

But again, Iran is still not the nation supporting terrorism in the West. That's Saudi Arabia. All these masjids in the West are Saudi, not Iranian. Sunnis and Shiites do not worship together.

Old 12-09-2023, 12:41 PM

14,422 posts, read 14,344,428 times
Quote:
You have no idea what is actually going on. When is the last time you’ve been in the AOR?

I firmly believe Hezbollah is a serious threat. Whether you believe it or not doesn’t matter to me.

I’m sure you applauded when the Biden administration gave Iran billions recently, which some of that money was funneled to Hezbollah, and ultimately Hamas.
False. There was a plan to release several billion dollars in money Iran had earned on oil and other exports to them in return for returning some prisoners to the USA. That money has not been released and so billions have not been given to Iran.

Try harder to get it right next time.

https://www.wral.com/story/fact-chec...rael/21171497/

Old 12-09-2023, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
False. There was a plan to release several billion dollars in money Iran had earned on oil and other exports to them in return for returning some prisoners to the USA. That money has not been released and so billions have not been given to Iran.

Try harder to get it right next time.

https://www.wral.com/story/fact-chec...rael/21171497/
You are being lied to by this government and the MSM. Iran absolutely recently received a ton of money that they then in turn funneled to Hezbollah, who funneled it to Hamas. They did the same thing in 2015 when they received that haul of money. Just because 6 billion is sitting in Qatar means nothing. Other money was certainly sent to them, with that 6 billion as collateral.

Even in the article you posted, it still says:

"This still frees up their budget constraint to spend other money on other things,"

Let me guess, you believe Blinken when he says “we found no evidence of Iran involvement for Oct 7th”.

You are an establishment tool. Think about it. We are helping to fund our enemies in the Middle East, and then we are putting troops in danger at their bases in the AOR.

So does that surprise you when people look at this data and decide not to join up anymore?

Old 12-09-2023, 09:51 PM

15,517 posts, read 7,551,940 times
Quote:
You are being lied to by this government and the MSM. Iran absolutely recently received a ton of money that they then in turn funneled to Hezbollah, who funneled it to Hamas. They did the same thing in 2015 when they received that haul of money. Just because 6 billion is sitting in Qatar means nothing. Other money was certainly sent to them, with that 6 billion as collateral.

Even in the article you posted, it still says:

"This still frees up their budget constraint to spend other money on other things,"

Let me guess, you believe Blinken when he says “we found no evidence of Iran involvement for Oct 7th”.

You are an establishment tool. Think about it. We are helping to fund our enemies in the Middle East, and then we are putting troops in danger at their bases in the AOR.

So does that surprise you when people look at this data and decide not to join up anymore?
Do you have proof of Iranian involvement in October 7th?

The $6 billion belonged to Iran. Would you be happy if $6 billion that belonged to the US was taken and made unavailable? What right does the US have to seize funds belonging to another sovereign country?

Old 12-10-2023, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

The $6 billion belonged to Iran. Would you be happy if $6 billion that belonged to the US was taken and made unavailable? What right does the US have to seize funds belonging to another sovereign country?
If you are a bad actor on the world stage, a state sponsor of terrorism, you absolutely should have your money seized so you don’t do any more damage.

I don’t know how to make that any clearer for you. Either you support terrorism or you don’t.

Based on reading your previous posts, seems to me like you support terrorism.

Old 12-10-2023, 06:12 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,106,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

Unbelievable. “What right does the….. “. Agree with WK91 on this that beginning with perspective that the U.S. actions are out-of-line is incredibly naive.

Whenever there is an article that includes statements such as….
“Even if Iran had received the money, the deal required Iran to use it only for humanitarian items, such as medicine and food.”, there is a false belief that Iran can be trusted. Similar belief that all aid to Gaza is going to civilians vs Hamas.

To tie this back to the thread title, when potential recruits see the U.S. leaders not respond to foreign kidnappings and attacks on military (by Iran and Hezbollah), they are deciding on alternate careers. Who wants to sit in the Middle East and get attacked without responding? The appropriate term is sitting ducks.

Historical note - A missile or two is not a response, see Clinton’s missile attacks on Sudan (1998) as the response for Embassy bombings, which was an ineffective response to bombings and embarrassing.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:04 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post

Historical note - A missile or two is not a response, see Clinton’s missile attacks on Sudan (1998) as the response for Embassy bombings, which was an ineffective response to bombings and embarrassing.
There is such a story behind that.

An exasperating story, from the DIA viewpoint. We were flabbergasted.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:34 AM

15,517 posts, read 7,551,940 times
Quote:
If you are a bad actor on the world stage, a state sponsor of terrorism, you absolutely should have your money seized so you don’t do any more damage.

I don’t know how to make that any clearer for you. Either you support terrorism or you don’t.

Based on reading your previous posts, seems to me like you support terrorism.
I don't support terrorism at all. However, seizing Iranian funds makes it perfectly legitimate for Iran to seize US property, like an oil tanker, in retaliation since the US is a bad actor in the eyes of Iran. It was the same thing with people justifying US torture of captured Iraqis, it made it impossible to argue that torture of Americans held prisoner was bad.

None of you ever look at these things through the eyes of the other side, preferring to assume that the US is always correct. Here's a hint, the US is not always correct. And that leads to the unnecessary deaths of US service members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues